Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been learning about the lapband and know I need to - and want to - do this but am afraid - scared by the mechanics. Do you feel the band inside you? Do you get used to knowing it's in there? Do you get used to feeling the port? All help welcome !! Thanks.

I never feel it inside unless I am eating something too fast or not band friendly.

I can feel the port if I want to and make an attempt to locate it by tightening my abdominal muscles and press my fingers into it. I never feel it in general in day to day life.

It is really not a big deal.

I agree with what HeatherO said---and I'll add something. I am a researcher by profession. I researched the band -- the bypass---and non surgical weight loss methods for 1 year before I got the band. The bottom line for me was -- the thing that scared me LEAST was getting the band. The thing that scared me MOST was continuing on the sure path of death via obesity. I tried non-surgical methods for years --- I would lose some then gain it back. As the years went by I just got older and sicker. Bypass was too radical for me -- especially since I had "only" about 100lbs to loss. There is not a lot to be afraid of in the band. Nothing is a guarantee but it's been a very weight loss good tool for me so far. Good luck.

I was banded on 5/6/08. As of today I don't feel anything. Sometimes I feel a little discomfort on my left side when I try to bend down and tie my shoes. However, I am still healing and I am positive that within a few more weeks I will be able to tie my shoes again without any feeling of discomfort. As each day goes by you feel better. So don't let that scare you. Life is GOOD with the band.:smile2:

I am two weeks post op and I do not feel the band, I don't feel my port, and my only tenderness are the small incisions which are almost healed.

I agree totally with Rugman - I was terrified that I would die from obesity. My quality of life was in the ditch. I could hardly walk anywhere without hip and lower back pain. I was short of breath and couldn't tie my shoes. Everything from shaving my legs to putting on lotion was a major chore.

Lap Band was not a choice for me - it was a must!! And, I am so glad the technology is available.

Good lUck!

There are no nerve ending on the stomach so you don't feel the band or the stitches at all. And I had to lose 100 lb before I could even feel my port buried in that fat!! LOL!! The surgery itself was a real non-event.....learning a new lifestyle is the challenge. And, as the others said, I was scared of dying from NOT having weight loss surgery. If I had not done it two years ago, I probably would not be here today....seriously! And now I am unstoppable!! It's nothing short of a miracle.:cursing:

I don't feel the band, I do feel my port. I have to push, but I can feel it under my skin.

I can't feel it from the inside out though.

Being a little scared is healthy. This is a serious decision. Take your time to figure out if it's the right one for you.

I felt it for about 2 weeks after my surgery. Felt like something was poking me under the ribs. Kind of like a baby's foot! It went away after a few weeks. Surgeon said it was the port ceeding itself into the muscle. Don't know... but now 3 months later I dont even know it's there except for the reminder when I get on the scale and 45 lbs. are gone!!

Good lucK!

There are no nerve ending on the stomach so you don't feel the band or the stitches at all. And I had to lose 100 lb before I could even feel my port buried in that fat!! LOL!! The surgery itself was a real non-event.....learning a new lifestyle is the challenge. And, as the others said, I was scared of dying from NOT having weight loss surgery. If I had not done it two years ago, I probably would not be here today....seriously! And now I am unstoppable!! It's nothing short of a miracle.:cursing:

Wow Gayle, just noticed your surgeon was Dr. B., and I'm having my procedure with him tomorrow morning. Any words of advice? So happy you have had such success. Take care. :biggrin:

I've never posted before today (and was worried about saying what I was afraid of). I really appreciate all your replies, honesty and COURAGE !! Thanks.

Larinshine......sorry I just now saw your post......guess you are probably at the hospital right now getting ready for your band. PM me when you feel like it and let me know how you are doing. I don't remember even seeing Dr B the day of surgery....I saw the anesthesiologist and then it was lights out!! The hardest part of the whole surgery was trying to pull on those @#$@# surgical hose up on my little fat legs!!

Best wishes to you.......let me know if I can be of any help!:rolleyes2: