Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK-Let me have it!

If I was able to diet all the time why would I fork over 14K to have weight loss surgery? I am being told to diet & watch my intake of calories while I wait for my restrictive fills. I've had 1 fill which did nothing & it is so very hard to control my hunger. I know it's only a tool but I don't want to live my life on a diet. I was hoping that the band would restrict my intake enough that I could eat very small amounts of what everyone else eats & that would be how I would lose the weight. I think if I was able to get off most of the weight it would be easier to watch what I ate since I never want to get back to this situation again.

I'm really discouraged since I have only lost 10 lbs since surgery May 8. I've had 1 USELESS fill & am very afraid I will start to gain since I CANNOT STAY ON A DIET!!!!!!!

Also, I cannot get another fill until July 9 because I'm going out of the country in 2 weeks.

Edited by crazycatlady

have you talked to your doctor about getting another fill? to me I dont feel like im on a diet. yes I am eating less but that is because my body will not let me eat more. dont be discouraged by your 10 pounds just think of its as a stepping stone. your weight has dropped not gone up and to me that is something great!!

from what i have read, it sometimes takes 3-4 fills before you can reach good, true restriction. just be patient, and remember you have taken the step toward losing, and it will come! good luck!

Yes, you will have to be on a diet. Period. HOWEVER, once you have a few fills and get restriction, you WILL be able to diet because your hunger will be reduced to tolerable levels.

I know it seems impossible, but when that physical hunger is under control, the rest gets a lot easier. Easy? No. EasiER, yes.

The band is the difference between struggling and failing and struggling and succeeding. Unfortunately, the struggle will always be there, as supremely unfair as it seems.

Hang in there and get another fill if you can!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hang in there! I know it is tough...I've had to "diet" as well until my first fill (this past Friday)...my fill was a month late due to a flipped port. I had to watch everything I ate to make sure I didn't gain any weight. It is hard. It will get better though.

Today is the first day since my surgery that I've had any restriction AT ALL. I don't even want anything to eat right now. This is the healthiest I've been in 10 years. I don't fill myself full of junk, I'm drinking plenty of Water and I feel wonderful. Yes, I've been hungry and it is so hard not to go back to my old ways.

Stay hydrated, try to stick to the bandster rules. This too shall pass. You'll get your fill, maybe it'll take more than one to get you to where you need to be, but it will happen. Take care.

I understand your pain. It's been almost three weeks since I was banded, and if I've lost 5 pounds, I'd be surprised. That said, I think 10 lbs is a pretty good amount in just a little over a month. I get so discouraged too sometimes, looking at all the people here who've had such outstanding success. I'm like, 'why can't I be like them.' But then again I know I don't follow my diet to the letter. But I excercise like crazy so I would think I would be much further along. I know it seems silly to go through all this just to be told to do the same things people were telling you to do before the band. But you have to admit some things are easier, aren't they? Just think if you had to stick to this same plan but without the band. I'd be at McDonald's right now! So I try to keep that in mind and the small yet positive changes I've made like smaller portions and no fast food. I also just try to give myself time but that's hard because I'm impatient. Sometimes I see it as more gratifying this way. Because yes the lapband is helping but you're really the one doing all the work. So be proud of yourself. And remember why you wanted to lose weight in the first place. And know going back is not an option. Resolve to only go forward, even if you have to do it slowly. That's better than looking back.

Edited by lanejane

the band is a tool that will basically make you change your bad eating habits....like it or not. For instance....I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE bread, pizza pasta...and can no longer eat any of it or I get stuck and slime. That is NO FUN at all and can be painful. So like it or not...I'm changing my ways. The band will help you eat smaller portions b/c you physically will not be able to hold that much in your egg size pouch. I've had 3 fills so far....6.6 cc's in my 10 cc band. This is my first time having GREAT restriction. I've done well with weight loss so far b/c I've made lifestyle changes. this is NOT the easy way out at all....it requires a LOT of effort to make the tool work. Don't be discourages, just be truthful with yourself that this is hard work.....call it a diet or call it a lifestyle change...whatever works for you.

I am getting my first fill today... thats almost 8 weeks since surgery. The doctor cancelled my appt for my last fill for an 'emergency'

This is why they call it Bandster Hell... The time from Band placement till your fill.

Good luck, believe me you're not the only one stuck in this situation. It will get better :drool:

see... i don't think of what i'm doing as a diet because i can eat almost anything that i want. i think of it as a lifestyle change... making healthier choices. i don't spend all my time counting calories and fat grams and wondering if i'll have enough Weight Watcher points at the end of the day. i concentrate on how much Protein i'm putting into my body and trying to stay low carb.

i felt just like you after my 1st fill. i DID actually start gaining weight. i totally freaked out and called my doctor to say that i was more hungry AFTER my fill than i had been before. 2 weeks later i went in for my 2nd fill and i feel MUCH better.

this is what they call "Bandster Hell" because we've done everything we're supposed to, now we have to wait until the band and body start working together.

keep your chin up!

Catlady I am right there with you. Each day that passes I can eat more and more. Whoever coined the term Bandster Hell is brilliant! I am just journaling everything I eat to make sure I am not over my maximum daily calorie intake. As I told my surgeon at my first fill this is the most expensive diet I have ever been on! Hoping my second fill in July will help somewhat.

If I was able to diet all the time why would I fork over 14K to have weight loss surgery? I am being told to diet & watch my intake of calories while I wait for my restrictive fills. I've had 1 fill which did nothing & it is so very hard to control my hunger. I know it's only a tool but I don't want to live my life on a diet. I was hoping that the band would restrict my intake enough that I could eat very small amounts of what everyone else eats & that would be how I would lose the weight. I think if I was able to get off most of the weight it would be easier to watch what I ate since I never want to get back to this situation again.

I'm really discouraged since I have only lost 10 lbs since surgery May 8. I've had 1 USELESS fill & am very afraid I will start to gain since I CANNOT STAY ON A DIET!!!!!!!

Also, I cannot get another fill until July 9 because I'm going out of the country in 2 weeks.

HI crazy I had my band on may 23rd and so far i have only lost 3 lbs since my surgery and YES it is very frustrating. I haven't had my first fill yet and this week I felt like I could eat a horse!!! I think this will work for us if we just hang in there . Someone told me after the second fill they felt the restriction so it really depends on each person.

I'm w/ you....one month out, maybe I've lost 2 or 3 lbs. Just try your best and stay at it; it will get better (at least that is what I am telling myself). I am 2 days from my first fill....

crazycatlady.....I was thinking EXACTLY like you after my first fill. I paid for my own surgery and then before and after my first fill was told to watch what I was eating. I still could eat just about as much as I wanted. Then I had my second fill and still I could eat way too much. My third fill was way too tight and I couldn't eat anything without feeling like I was going to throwup. I had another adjustment a few days later and finally I my got to my "sweet spot" as they call it. I finally have restriction enough that I have lost 50lbs. in the last 5 months. I was very discouraged for the first 2 and one half months. All I can suggest is to just try to eat healthy and not too much until you get true restriction. Don't panic and be patient. You WILL lose weight.

All,

I have felt what you all are feeling. I was banded Jan 3rd 08 and for the first few months,, I was hungry, could eat high quanities of food. I was sooo disapointed, I thought the hunger would be kept at bay and I would lose faster. IT WILL COME.... trust me. it took 4 to 5 fills before my hunger was "completely" under control. When I started this process, I knew that I could not emotionally do another "diet". I made up my mind not to count calories, keep track and all of that. NOW, I just eat what I feel is healthy...and occasional treat. Once you get that restriction, it is so much easier to stay on track.

good luck and just keep your chin up.. it will happen.

Lois