Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm pretty ticked at my students right now.

One of them tore all the legs off of a stuffed mouse (real mouse) that we were using as an example in one of our labs. I don't know which one did it, so I'm thinking of giving them all a nice lecture tomorrow in class. There are several reasons that I'm pissed right now. One, that was a formerly-living organism that deserves a lot more respect than that. Hopefully, when whomever tore the legs off of it kicks the bucket themselves, someone will respect them enough not to rip their arms and legs off. Second, they destroyed university property. Someone either had to pay for that mouse or had to put in the effort, time, and expense of trapping it and having it stuffed. Third, it was extremely childish, on the same level (to me, anyway) of a 10 year old tearing the wings off of flies just because he can. These are college students, you'd think they would act with a bit more maturity. :)

I co-teach biology in a high school. I am the sp. ed. teacher and I teach with the science teacher. The last few weeks of the school year we dissected frogs and pigs. I told the students that if they did not follow the lab directions they would receive lower grades. I had one of my best classes receive poor grades. Four students were assigned to a pig. Two groups received faling grades. One group decided to cut off the limbs. The other group decided that piercing the the ear and nose, and cutting the tongue like a snakes was a cool idea. Although only one student in the group did the deed, the rest of the group suffered. I was not ticked I was super-pissed...I don't think they have every seen me like that...I called parents....the wrath of a mad teacher ...lol

I'm so glad I am not in school now! I wouldn't even touch the perch we had to dissect in biology, we did an earth worm and fish, this was HS. Luckily my partner would do it! These kids sounds so disrespectful, maybe a paper on respect would be better than a pop quiz!:)

No kidding! That is ridiculous. I'd find some way to punish them too. I'd have them write a paper on respect of life and prpoerty of others. What jerks.

Laurend are you happy teaching? Every few months I see a thread about how annoyed you are by your students. Your young maybe it's time for a career change.

Laurend are you happy teaching? Every few months I see a thread about how annoyed you are by your students. Your young maybe it's time for a career change.
To be quite honest, I vent here because it keeps the irritation from building up and me taking it out on them. I'll admit that I get annoyed when they do things that are legitimately annoying. It'd take a very strong person NOT to get pissed off when your students intentionally destroy university property. I'm not that person. I DO get irritated and upset when property is destroyed, when some of my students are whining seemingly non-stop because they want the class to be a "bird" course, when I have the occasional student that doesn't interact with me whatsoever (doesn't ask questions, hardly comes to class, doesn't bother to attempt extra credit assignments, yadda, yadda, yadda) and then asks for leeway at the end of the semester, etc. Does that mean that I don't enjoy teaching? Of course not. I do enjoy it, but that doesn't mean that I don't get irritated and frustrated with it and/or my students occasionally, and I think every single teacher out there will say the same thing. The difference is that they bitch and complain about their problem students to their colleagues and friends and I do it here.

Any job out there is going to have some aspects that annoy the people that work it. I appreciate my good students, and they return the sentiment (for example, I get free Starbucks stuff every so often from my former students that work there). The problem students are the annoying aspects of the job that I just have to live with while I'm doing the job, and I live with it by venting so that I don't burn out or take things out unnecessarily on my good students.

have them do a paper on the procedures of stuffing an animal. make them include step by step instructions.

Edited by miztrniceguy
cuz

lol make them catch a mouse and stuff it for a class assignment...

To be quite honest, I vent here because it keeps the irritation from building up and me taking it out on them. I'll admit that I get annoyed when they do things that are legitimately annoying. It'd take a very strong person NOT to get pissed off when your students intentionally destroy university property. I'm not that person. I DO get irritated and upset when property is destroyed, when some of my students are whining seemingly non-stop because they want the class to be a "bird" course, when I have the occasional student that doesn't interact with me whatsoever (doesn't ask questions, hardly comes to class, doesn't bother to attempt extra credit assignments, yadda, yadda, yadda) and then asks for leeway at the end of the semester, etc. Does that mean that I don't enjoy teaching? Of course not. I do enjoy it, but that doesn't mean that I don't get irritated and frustrated with it and/or my students occasionally, and I think every single teacher out there will say the same thing. The difference is that they bitch and complain about their problem students to their colleagues and friends and I do it here.

Any job out there is going to have some aspects that annoy the people that work it. I appreciate my good students, and they return the sentiment (for example, I get free Starbucks stuff every so often from my former students that work there). The problem students are the annoying aspects of the job that I just have to live with while I'm doing the job, and I live with it by venting so that I don't burn out or take things out unnecessarily on my good students.

Amen! I'm dealing with one of the "worse case scenario" students right now. No change of career necessary...just more diligent students with stronger work ethics.

BTW, we have the same birthday!

Edited by Lunabeane

Amen, sister!!! Teaching is one of the most stressful and I would venture to say, the toughest job I have ever had...of course we bitch, whine, moan, complain, and vent...we are only human...lol. But, teaching is also the most rewarding job I have ever had.

Amen, sister!!! Teaching is one of the most stressful and I would venture to say, the toughest job I have ever had...of course we bitch, whine, moan, complain, and vent...we are only human...lol. But, teaching is also the most rewarding job I have ever had.

I THINK YOUNG PEOPLE OF TODAY DONT APPRECIATE WHAT PEOPLE DO FOR THEM,NOR DO THEY RESPECT OTHER PEOPLES PROPERTY,YOU ONLY HAVE TO GO TO THE SHOPS OR DOWN THE STREET TO SEE WHAT IM GETTING AT,ALOT OF KIDS GET CARS ECT...EVERYTHING BROUGHT OR HANDED TO AND SO BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOT HAD TO PAY FOR IT/WORK HARD TO PAY FOR ,THEY DONT GIVE A TOSS,NOR ARE THEY OVERLY WORRIED WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF THEM AS THEY DONT SEE THEM SELF AS BEING THE ONES WITH THE PROBLEM,I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE CASE WITH ALL YOUTH,BUT IT IS FAIRLY COMMON KIDS TODAY ARE BROUGHT UP WITH NO RESPECT FOR THERE ELDERS.JUST MY 2CENTS WORTH:cursing:

have them do a paper on the procedures of stuffing an animal. make them include step by step instructions.

I love this idea! I like tying the punishment with the crime...

Lauren, what did you end up doing?

Blue Eyed Girl (you might want to watch it on the caps lock, by the way--it looks like you're shouting at us), people have been complaining about "the youth" since the dawn of time. It only seems like they're that bad because we're no longer among them. I admit I find myself getting annoyed sometimes, but I try to remind myself that archaeologists have found graffiti from ancient Rome complaining about teenagers driving their chariots recklessly. It's the way of the world.

Good idea about the paper on taxidermy. That might at least inspire someone to come forward and name the guilty party.

This is at the university level, right? It's not like she's references children in a middle school science class. Furthermore, she's complaining about adults enrolled in university level courses. While I would expect this behavior at the elementary or secondary level, there is a certain decorum that is appropriate at the university level.