Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which milk is the best?

im a heavy milk drinker and fan. I eat Cereal every morning with milk and drink a cup of milk every night before bed. I tried just about all the milks out there and just can't get into like any other then the regular milk (the one with the red cap). The last milk I tried was the fat free and it was discusting wit cereal, it was too watery and gave it a nasty taste. So as of now im drinking regular milk, the best of all !

I used to drink 2 but I don't anymore. Now I drink 1. I tried skim and it was disgusting so I am sticking with 1 percent. It has a lot of flavor but also is low on calories. Works for me and tastes great. :P

Question here. My best friend, who is banded, pointed this out to me... When you lower the amount of fat in milk, the sugar and carbs goes up. So.... which should we be more concerned about? Compare labels and you'll see what I'm talking about. She was right. Now I'm confused. I was drinking 1% but see that the sugar and carbs is higher. Comments?????

Kind of a hard thing to judge, you may need to just try them. I was never a milk drinker before the band, now I crave it. But 2%, Skim, and Regular are all identical to me. All taste the same, so I have no issue. But I know when I keep skim in the house, DH (who always liked drinking milk) thinks it is disgusting.. and won't drink it. But, he likes 2%. So just try em out?

Aubrie- I did not realize milk was that way, but I had read for foods in general being made, when they make it 'low-fat' it normally means higher calorie & vise versa. Like low-fat cream cheese is higher calorie.

Depends on how retentive you are about labels, I don't read labels.. I only eat so much (not a lot!), so I eat what I like.. not diety. I get my milk cartons from the vending machine at work, they only carry Whole & 2%. I get 2% till it runs out, and I'll drink whole then.

I exclusively drink Horizon Organic Milk in 2%. I love it!! Something else thats great about it is it last forever! If you look on the carton date its usually got about a month or two before it goes bad (still goes about 10 days after its opened). Its pricey, the last I bought was $4 a half gallon, but there's nothing else that is as good!

My MIL gets skim milk from a local dairy and says it doesn't taste watery at all. Their dairy guy told them that the skim milk you get at the store has Water added to it until it reaches zero milkfat. His milk on the other hand is skimmed of fat until it reaches that point, thus the difference in taste. We're going out for a visit in a few weeks and I'll have to try her milk. My surgeon doesn't want me drinking milk at all. Too many carbs.

WE do Organic and or soy at my house. We have drank fat free for so long that when out and my kids are served whole milk (both teens now) they think it's gross and taste like cream lol From whole cut back to 2% then after awhile do the 1%. Skim will not be to watery buy the time you get to it!!! LOL

Laurinda, I am TOTALLY with you! Years ago I began moving "back" in the milk category, from regular to 2% and then back to skim. I have had it for so long now that it tastes "clear and clean" to me--when I run out and have to even taste my husband's 2%, it tastes so heavy and thick--ugh!:lol:

Shiny--what about the Protein you get from milk? I drink my daily Protein shake in Water, but every evening I have 1/2 - 3/4 glass of skim milk. And I just pay no attention to the carbs...! :tongue:

I was going to say the same as Laurinda. Go to 2% stay there for a month or 2 then go to 1% and maybe then skim. I personally drink 1% but when I'm treating myself I drink whole. One thing that I found interesting is that you call whole milk regular, this can be giving you a mental block as regular usually means normal. Try calling it whole milk and slowly transitioning to 2%, 1% or skim.

I do use milk in my Protein Shakes and of course if I eat cereal. On the rare occasion that I have a cookie, I'll usually have a small glass of milk along with it. I was just blown away when my surgeon told me not to drink milk, even skim. "No milk? Are you kidding me?" I was a huge milk drinker. I had to have milk to go with all the Cookies and brownies I was consuming. It helps cancel out the sweetness so you can go back for some more. Oh, I'm so glad to be done with that madness.

I'm not a milk drinker, just soy for occasional bowl of cereal, but I do recall seeing a brand of milk that markets its 1% tasting like 2% and 2% tasting like whole....you get the idea. It might be called something like "smart...." and be in a greenish carton container.

I have no idea if it is available everywhere. You'll need to check the dairy case of your local supermarket. Good luck!

Has anyone heard of Sunmilk? Here in CA I used to buy it at Ralph's grocery store, where it was next to the Organic milks. I loved it because it lasted longer and the use of sunflower seed oil to replace some of the fat (as it was advertised) sort of "bumped up" the taste. There were two kinds: Sunmilk 1% (which then tasted like standard 2% milk) and Sunmilk 2% (tasted like standard whole milk). I haven't been able to find it in awhile, though : (

Also, I was talking with person who had DS about what kind of milk she puts in her coffee. She has to watch carbs very closely and said to use half n' half because it had the lowest amount of carbs of the milks. Interesting!

Question here. My best friend, who is banded, pointed this out to me... When you lower the amount of fat in milk, the sugar and carbs goes up. So.... which should we be more concerned about? Compare labels and you'll see what I'm talking about. She was right. Now I'm confused. I was drinking 1% but see that the sugar and carbs is higher. Comments?????

That is true for many "Low Fat" and "Fat Free" food items. When they take out the fat, they often add sugar or high fructose corn Syrup to make up for the loss in flavor. But with milk, the difference is very minimal-less than 1G difference....

Carbs in 1/2 Cup servings:

Whole 11.3 G

2% 11.7 G

1% 11.7 G

Skim 11.9G

Jodi.... this must depend on the brand of milk and how they process it when they remove the fat, because the brand of milk I buy at my grocer's has a marked difference in the amount of carbs. the more fat, the less carbs and visa versa. But it makes sense that each brand may play with the ingredients to get the desired taste for their brand. How wierd. I'll start looking at the other brands and see how they measure up. this entire thing has never been brought to my attention before nor did I even realize it was an issue. thanks for answering me and bringing the difference to my attention.

My surgeon recommends milk. Funny how they are all different as well..... For my age, he says I need the Calcium to lower chance of osteoporosis, and is healthy for weight loss. He is not a supporter of "no carb" diets.

Edited by aubrie