Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much water??

There might be a thread about this but I searched and didn't find it. So imma gonna ask. I have heard so many different things about how much I should be drinking. I was just wondering how much your doctor told you to be drinking? I hope that I'm drinking enough but who knows:huh2:

There might be a thread about this but I searched and didn't find it. So imma gonna ask. I have heard so many different things about how much I should be drinking. I was just wondering how much your doctor told you to be drinking? I hope that I'm drinking enough but who knows:huh2:

hello i was banded on 05-05-08 my doc told me a glass 30min b4 each meal and a glass 30mins after thats it. im doing fine no dehydration bowels are fine so good luck BUT allways talk to your doc he/ she knows you better than us

Nothing changes as far as how much you need a day. You still need 64 oz of Water per day. What changes is how you drink it and when, as far as meals go. You must sip it. No gulping or chugging, so don't wait too long between drinking, you don't want to be too thirsty. And, depending on the surgeon, stop drinking about 30 minutes before eating and wait at least 30 minutes (I've been hearing 45 - 60) after eating.

As I have yet to meet with a surgeon, I can't tell you what is personally going to be recommended for me. This is all what I've been hearing from bing on here for the last couple of months.

Best wishes!!

Well, I haven't asked my doctor how much, but I've heard 2 different recommendations. 1.) eight 8oz glasses a day. 2.) drink half your body weight in ounces. That seems like A LOT though, so I dunno which one is better. I usually stay closer to 64 oz and I haven't had any problems. Somedays I go over that but I don't think I drink half my body weight...that would be 122 ounces!

Listen to your body. Lightheaded? Drink. Constipated? drink. Urine dark yellow? Drink. Headache? Drink. Thirsty? Drink. I have seen studies that say the 64 oz of Water a day story is a myth, since generally you are getting a lot of fluids with your foods also and someone basically made up the requirement years ago.

I don't worry about how much I drink and don't keep track of it, but I do pay attention to the clues my body gives me that it needs fluids.

Snowbird, I'd heard that too. I'm just staying with the 64 oz til more comes out about it. Crazy, I swear. One day something is healthy, the next it's going to cause cancer or kill you some how and then later, it's okay again! I'm not saying that about Water but you know what I mean. I wish these people would make up their minds!

I'd also heard about the "drink half your bodyweight" stuff too and I guess if you are of a normal weight (that's still a lot tho!), that would maybe make sense but I would have to drink 124 oz a day! I have a hard time with the 64 sometimes!!

I also have an added problem in that if I don't drink enough (in order to urinate enough) then I can't get the bad stuff out of my system and it results in a lot of bloating and not feeling so great the next day.

I'll stick with (shoot for!) the 64 for now. I think it's kind of a safe bet for everyone til "they" get it all figured out!

I don't aim for a particular number, but I replaced cokes & whatever else I would normally drink with Water. I end up getting at least 50oz a day now just because I don't drink other stuff. I always keep a bottle at work (and there's a water fountain in the break room). Just make an effort to drink water throughout the day :sad: