Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding the thinner me

Hi Annika,

There are no extra hidden costs that I can promise you. Only if you have to stay an extra night at the hospital would there be additional costs involved. This doesn´t happen very often.

Don´t worry about carrying the money, nothing will happen to you. I did it, my friend did it when she had her surgery and everyone else that has been banded by Dr Chris. The only reason he prefers cash is because he pays the hospital straaight away so that he doesn´t have to charge more to have accounts etc.

Where are you from Annika?

When will you be doing your surgery?

Hello,

I'm from wiltshire, my partner is taking me to the airport on thursday so i arrive at about 3, then staying at the holiday inn by the airport, seeing Dr Chris de Bruyne at 6.30am and then being operated on the same day, overnight stay in the hospital and then back to hotel, then fly home on sunday. My partner is just very concerned with me going on my own (we have little children) with that amount of euro's, he is natuarlly quite reserved and thinks worst case scenario! Your message has reassured him that he is actually a real doctor. I don't feel very prepared though as i have only done a fat free diet not this liquid diet that everyone else seems to have done and i'm not sure what to expect afterwards either, did you find out from the internet or do they give you information at the hospital? i'm starting at 215lbs and need to lose 113lbs so really excited but nervous too.

annika

You will be needing some extra money for the taxi´s to and from the hospital.

Don´t pack too many things, you will need clothes to travel there, then they will give you that lovely hospital gown to wear which you will have on you until Friday.

At around 13:00 you will be discharged, so arrange with the same taxi that drops you off at the hospital to fetch you.

Use the same clothes you arrived in to go back to the hotel, obviously clean undies, and then get changed into light pj`s for Friday night and Saturday. You could use the same clothes again to go home. Seriously take the smallest bag you have with minimal stuff. You will be sore afterwards, this is normal and you don´t want to be loaded down with extra baggage. Remember you won´t be needing make-up.

Also I would suggest that you take a packet if Tomato Soup, two or three Protein drinks and melba toast. This is just so that you have some nurishment in the hotel room. Also because you are going straight into surgery you won´t have time to go buy this in Brussels.

If you are still in a lot of pain on Sunday and think you can´t cope with wondering around the airport terminals to find your gate, ask for medical assistance, they will organise a wheel chair for you and someone will take you directly through security and to the plane door. They will also arrange for a wheel chair to be available when you arrive back at your home airport.

If you have any other questions, just ask, I´ll help with whatever I can.

P.S. Dr Chris and his team are fantastic. I cannot tell you enough how wonderful the hospital is. It´s clean, efficient and tell your hubby that you are in the right hands to be doing this solo. (Although it would be better to have someone with you, but I do understand when these things are just not possible).

I am Mrs. JJ's friend.

While my experience was different it was bearable.

I had some problems with the anesthetic. I had some lung problems previously that they have not yet diagnosed. They knew I had restricted lung capacity. It was the first time I had general anesthetic and as Dr. Chris put it "Waking you up was not pretty." I think this whole thing made me groggy longer than some other people.

I had some trapped gas and it took a while for it to go away (a few days).

sleep does help..so does time. Mrs. JJ kept telling me that in a week it would seem like a dream. I expected it would seem more like a nightmare. :wub: She was right. It is 6 days post-op for me and I am feeling good.

As for packing, JJ is right. Here is my list: 4 pair panties, one nightwear, 2 tops, one pair trousers, deodorant, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste. Pack light!

JJ also arranged for a wheelchair in Brussels and Copenhagen for me. If you have doubts about the airports do it.

Did I say yet the Dr. Chris, his team and the hospital were fantastic yet? :smile:

thank you Mrs JJ I have found your support page great and i feel a lot happier going on my own ,I will let you now how it goes for me, i also find working this page and computure a problem so it might a while thanks again jackie

I will not entertain the thought of it not working. This band is working and as long as I work with it I will keep losing my extra weight.

In regards to the money, well yes, it is a lot of money, but what sort of price can you put on your life?

People have done this trip alone.

I found it to be painful after surgery. I was also very tired and slept a lot.

I was going to this band on my own and I was ready in my mind and spirit to do it alone. I thank heaven that my huband insited at the last minute to come with me. It´s from this experience that I can give you and others tips that can help you prepare to do this alone.

There is nothing wrong with going on your own, just know that you will have to work a little harder and be independant. You can do it.

Hello everyone,

I was banded a few days ago and I've been feeling down over the past few days. I was in pain after surgery and I am still in some pain. It is bearable but I am feeling a lot of regret about it all. Dr Chris said this was to be expected and at the moment, that's the only hope I have....that it will get better in a few days and that I will be able to start doing some excercise and adjusting to life with a band. At this moment in time, it all seems like that I'm very far away from that.

I am also having difficulty knowing how much to eat. Because I'm still sore, I can't distinguish between fullness and soreness. I don't know how much food I should be eating in one sitting and even the advice from the doctor was pretty vague. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what they ate in the first 10 days?

By no means, I don't want to put anyone off the surgery...I just want to e frank about what I'm experiencing so that others are better prepared for what is to come.

I've read on this forum that even after 2-3 weeks, people are still sore and are constantly feeling hungry, is this the norm?

Just looking for some advice and for someone to tell me it will get better soon :S

I promise it will get better and you will heal. I really believe a lot of this is also a matter of having your heart and mind in the right place too.

My first few days after surgery I had quite a bit of nausea, I didn´t know if I was feeling hunger or nausea, so I drank Water, Protein shakes, sipping yoghurts and Soups. You have to feed for your body, it needs the nutrients to heal. I´d suggest you keep sipping at whatever you can so you know you are feeding your body.

Hang in there, soon you will feel like a normal person again.