Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone banded and now has breast cancer?

I've been reading this LapBandTalk for months and get lots of information and encouragement, but I have never posted before. I was banded 11/28/07 and have lost 64 pounds so far and am happy with my progress. All that is great. But yesterday I learned I have breast cancer and will have surgery (lumpectomy most likely) on Monday.

I am not sure how all this is related, if it is at all, and if my post-surgery radiation and medication will affect my weight loss progress. Anyone out there have to face a similar situation?

You will so be in my prayers ...Take it one day at a time .. I too had a lumpectomy but no chemo or radiation ... Please keep me posted ...

I am so sorry but glad you found it. I remember reading an article in Weight Watchers a while back where a lady lost a large amount of weight and gives credit to losing weight saving her life because without losing, she would've never found the lump in her breast.

I am so thankful that I had the Lap Band and lost the weight -- the mammogram was SO much easier, and maybe the weight loss allowed the reading to be more clear. 8 months ago it showed a small area of calcification that the doctor was 99% sure it was vascular and not in the tissue. This week the films showed the same calcification as clearly not vascular because there was less tissue to get through. Had I had a biopsy in Sept I wouldn't have been allowed to have the Lap Band surgery. I was told that it is still very early and I have excellent chances of it being contained and removed on Monday.

Thanks for your good thoughts.

You are in for a bit of a ride when it comes to the world of Cancer. Please remember to eat well and treat your body well!

I can reccomend some great books that range from diet to just good motivation if you would like just e-mail me. cessairskye@yahoo.com

I personally have not battled Cancer but have delt with it very closely in the past years with parents, grandparents and most recently a very aggressive case of colon cancer with my husband.

Skye

not personally, but i just wanted to offer you my best wishes and prayers for a full recovery!

I feel your thread....

Cancer was my main motivator for getting lapband. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, and I was told being obeste puts you at a higher risk for getting cancer. Considering my father passed of cancer and my mom survived. I am already in double jeaopary...I needed my body to work with me NOT AGAINST ME!

So I said all that to say....I am glad you had lapband. I feel strongly that it had a part to play in early detection.

Cancer can be beat ... one at a time with early detection!

I wish I was smart enough to find a cure for cancer!!!

You are in my prayers :rolleyes2:

AZChick:

what was the finding with your lumpectomy? No radiation or medication after sounds good...I wonder what the difference is when someone has it, or doesn't have it after a lumpectomy? I am told I am very early stage and the "best" kind to get -- if there is a "best kind of cancer" to get.

Dear Dragonfly - I'm a medical oncologist- best of luck to you with your diagnosis and upcoming surgery. The good news is that having breast cancer doesn't mean that you have to abandon the thought of losing weight. Your anesthesiologist may want your band unfilled for surgery but they may be ok with you going on liquids for a day or 2 prior to surgery to ensure your stomach is empty for surgery.

If you need (heaven forbid) chemotherapy- you can keep your band filled and still work on losing weight. Chemotherapy can cause fatigue so its important that you try to stay active and exercise to maintain your energy and keep your weight from creeping up. You can ask your oncologist for a referral to a nutritionist so that they can work with you on keeping your Protein levels up/nutrition where it needs to be while on therapy.

Multiple patients have told me that the antiestrogen medicines used to treat breast cancer make it harder for them to lose weight- there is mixed data about that issue but again your band tools - exercise/watching your intake will help.

There is data that patients with breast cancer who are closer to an "ideal body weight" have a lower risk of their breast cancer coming back. Its hard to deal with a cancer diagnosis and weight loss all at the same time! Take care of your cancer but realize you don't have to give up your weight loss goals as well :cursing:

best of luck to you!

I am just the opposite of you. I am a 2 1/2 year breast cancer survivor. I will be having my lapband surgery on July 7th. The radiation took a huge toll on me and I did gain weight. I feel like you are in as good of a spot as you can be considering we are talking about cancer. Your lapband is in place and you have I believe a better chance of survival as you are already loosing weight and hopefully after all of your treatments you can get back on track. Cancer loves fat and you are one step ahead. Please let me know what your prognosis is. I feel you will do very well. You also have one more reason to do the right type of eating. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

So sorry to hear that.I was banded 5 yrs ago{2003}

In 2006 Ihad cancer.Went thru bilateral lumpectomy{both breasts}, chemo and radiation.I am doing fine.Lapband still there.

Remember your mind is very powerfull tool, THINK POSITIVE !

God bless.

Dragonflyblue (what a pretty name you chose).

I wish you the best of luck in your journey. I am sure that your weight loss and the healthy eating habits you have adopted will be very helpful to you. You are right about the weight loss helping you already in the diagnosis, and what good news you received about finding the cancer early and having it be a treatable variety. These are all very positive things. Keep taking care of yourself, get yourself a good support system, and stay strong and involved.

Also, many people find that visual imargery helps them. Maybe you are a strong, beautiful dragonfly soaring high out of the grasp of cancer, or maybe you are battling it to it's doom. Use whatever works for you. You CAN do it.

Sending love and warm thoughts your way....