Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mexico bound

with so many issuse on the news about people being injured or kidnapped down there, i was wondering who has gone to Mexico recently, & what was their experience like??

i am schedualled to go down this weekend, but everyone is being aprehensive about me going, just would like some imput, i feel confident that everything will work out fine, it has every other time that i have goine down there, guess just wondering what others thought...

Hi, I was just banded by Dr Ortiz on June 5 and stayed at the Lucerna hotel. It was a wonderful experience. The clinic was immaculate, the hotel top rate service, staff very friendly, drivers pick up at airport courteous. Came home and decided I wanted to learn Spanish and maybe visit other parts of Mexico in the future. It was a very good experience and surgery was successful. Good luck to you; don't worry, it's probably safer than alot of stuff that goes on in this country. Sufina:tt2:

I just got back from Monterrey, Mexico. I felt very safe and had absolutely no problems!!!!! Don't worry....you'll be fine:)

Most of what you're hearing on the news is because the drug lords are at war with the Police. The "gun battles" happened during the early morning hours, not during the day. Saying that, everyone should take a lot of personal responsibility when traveling in Mexico. I have a routine which is in by 9-10am, grab a yellow cab (never the white Libre cabs), get my fill, and out by noon. Otherwise, it's a longer wait to cross the border and traffic home is terrible.

I also live in Rancho so can tell you it's 2 hours down and sometimes 3 coming home. If you stay too late and can't get north of San Diego by 3pm, you hit freeway traffic there and in Temecula. I try to make Corona by 3pm to avoid traffic coming out of Riverside.

I'm not sure if you are having surgery this weekend but you shouldn't have any problems. I don't know anyone who has when going for medical care. It's big business there and I think you might be surprised how many American's head south of the border for everything from lap-bands to dental care.

Have a safe trip,

Judy

thanks. i had my surgery there, they were fantastic, but i havent been down for a while, so i was just curious to see if things were REALLY as bad as the media states things are... i am aware of precautions...i go straight to the Dr. then to the bus depot...straight home... thanks for the advice on taking the yellow cab only though...i think everything will be fine.

i REALLY need a tightening, i feel like i am not doing... well, i KNOW that losing over 100 lbs is such a BIG accomplishment, but i still have 50-60 lbs more to go....& right now i have been on a plateau...yikes... going to the gym still 5 days a week, but need that extra lil push!!!

Thanks TxFella. Sometimes I think I'm too careful but I also don't want to be a victim of opportunity.

Have a great trip msmelc! I didn't realize you'd already had surgery when I read your post. You've done so good!!!!!

with so many issuse on the news about people being injured or kidnapped down there, i was wondering who has gone to Mexico recently, & what was their experience like??

i am schedualled to go down this weekend, but everyone is being aprehensive about me going, just would like some imput, i feel confident that everything will work out fine, it has every other time that i have goine down there, guess just wondering what others thought...

Think "location location location" when considering Mexico.

Right now the bad areas are Tijuana and Juarez.

Narcos México publican nombres de policías que quieren asesinar - Yahoo! México Noticias

There are banners hanging from bridges listing the police officers that are due to be killed and as they are killed their names are crossed off the lists.

Police officers are asking for asylum in the US. Things are pretty bad in some areas but you know, it's just like the US, we have bad cities and good cities. So does Mexico.

About three weeks ago 14 people were shot and killed in TJ so they moved (going by memory) 3000 army guys to Juarez due to the problems over there and that meant fewer army guys patrolling TJ. So many of the doctors in TJ went on strike and they are refusing to see anyone except for in an ER until the police do something about the crime and violence on the streets. I would have to disagree with the idea that during the day it is okay, the doctors on strike tend to disagree.

One problem I have with a small number of band docs in TJ is that they are hiring body guards for themselves. Well, if THEY need a body guard, who do they think should be guarding their patients?

I am scheduled to get my surgery on July 2nd and will be staying in the Lucerna - What was it like?

I stayed at the Lucerna in Mexicali. It was great: high speed internet, 3-4 restaurants, bar, the staff was very attentive (one offered to go get me sushi since they don't offer it in the restaurants), room service, pool, hot tub. I grew up extremely poor, so i was impressed.

I stayed at the Lucerna in Mexicali. It was great: high speed internet, 3-4 restaurants, bar, the staff was very attentive (one offered to go get me sushi since they don't offer it in the restaurants), room service, pool, hot tub. I grew up extremely poor, so i was impressed.

Actually... THREE bars. Not that I would know.

But if I did know there is a ladies bar, a piano bar (gahhhh), and the bar that stays open until 3am with live music. ;o)

i wasn't sure the number of bars, i thought there were a few to choose from, but didn't want to mispeak. For my "last meal" or actually, it was later in the evening, i had room service bring me flan and a margarita and quesadilla. You can't go to Mexico and not have a margarita, lol.

i wasn't sure the number of bars, i thought there were a few to choose from, but didn't want to mispeak. For my "last meal" or actually, it was later in the evening, i had room service bring me flan and a margarita and quesadilla. You can't go to Mexico and not have a margarita, lol.

My last meal before my band was a steak, garlic mashed potatoes, and long green things that I didn't eat. (gahh)

Last meal before my sleeve was onion Soup. I think I got cheated on the last one.

To: wasabubblebutt:

Have you posted any info on your subsequent sleeve surgery after the LB and if so, where can I review it? thanks, sufina