Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning to come face to face with my addiction to food..that I never thought I had!

I will be banded next Tuesday. As soon as I had a surgery date I began eating everything in sight because I knew that my days were numbered! After a couple of weeks of this I started feeling physically and emotionally terrible. And I started realizing a few things. That I am addicted to food. I do not seem to have that "full" switch in me that I read so many people talking about. I truly do not know when I am full. These past couple of weeks I have disgusted myself with the fact that I cannot stop eating. I have tried to recognize that full feeling with no success. So this has me worried that once banded the problem will continue and I will never feel full, or at least recognize the feeling. Has anyone else experienced this? I truly feel like a bottomless pit!

I'm kind of worried that I think the band will be a fix all for many aspects of my life and am beginning to wonder if I will feel disappointed. Because I know deep down that it will not fix everything. IT is NOT magical, which is what scares me. I guess I will then have to face why I have this bottomless pit, with no full switch and thus the reason I am fat. I never viewed myself as having a eating problem, just with enjoying food. But here I sit at 230lbs getting ready to have weight loss surgery, so duh! I need to wake up and take a hard look at myself.

Sorry for rambling on....but does anyone else feel this way or has anyone else ever felt like this?

Thanks for listening.

I will be banded next Tuesday. As soon as I had a surgery date I began eating everything in sight because I knew that my days were numbered! After a couple of weeks of this I started feeling physically and emotionally terrible. And I started realizing a few things. That I am addicted to food. I do not seem to have that "full" switch in me that I read so many people talking about. I truly do not know when I am full. These past couple of weeks I have disgusted myself with the fact that I cannot stop eating. I have tried to recognize that full feeling with no success. So this has me worried that once banded the problem will continue and I will never feel full, or at least recognize the feeling. Has anyone else experienced this? I truly feel like a bottomless pit!

I'm kind of worried that I think the band will be a fix all for many aspects of my life and am beginning to wonder if I will feel disappointed. Because I know deep down that it will not fix everything. IT is NOT magical, which is what scares me. I guess I will then have to face why I have this bottomless pit, with no full switch and thus the reason I am fat. I never viewed myself as having a eating problem, just with enjoying food. But here I sit at 230lbs getting ready to have weight loss surgery, so duh! I need to wake up and take a hard look at myself.

Sorry for rambling on....but does anyone else feel this way or has anyone else ever felt like this?

Thanks for listening.

Steveamay: I too discovered that I have an addiction to food. I had my surgery on May 29 and have lost 23 lbs. I was worried about the band not doing what I need it to do. I was worried about being hungry and eating evrything in sight. I am still on the liquid diet until June 19 and then I can start eating solid foods and I am affraid that I will eat too much. I must trust in my band and together we will drop the pounds and get healthy. I think you are on the right path thinking about the addiction now. You are aware of the problem and have it on your mind. I think if you didn't think about it then you might have a problem. Keep up the thinking and trust in your band.....

Tammy

Does anybody else ever felt like this? You betcha! I think all of us who need to have WLS have some component of 'food addiction" and a lack of a 'stop eating' switch! That's how we got this way!!!

I used to love to eat, and eat, and eat. One cookie, piece of candy was never enough. If it tastes good, I want more. Think of the credit card commericial that lets you check your balances - their theme song - - I want it all, aI want it all, and I want it now!

For me, the band provides that off switch! Hooray! Can't eat more or it will come right up...painfully. Yup, that's a good off switch. (And I'm not in a really good resriction zone yet)

The amazing thing is, when I am not feeling so hungry all the time, I think less about food. When I think less about food, I eat less often. When I feel full now, I'm able to stop. Then, when I eat less, I start to loose weight. For me, the more I loose, the more motivated I get. Now I am obsessed, basically, with eating healthy to get my Protein in, required nutrients, and I don't have room for candy, Cookies and sweets (most of the time).

It's a new addiction, but a great one!

There was another thread about the pre-op eating binge somewhere...many people ate many "last suppers." I think what you're going through is a normal phase.

You will need to make changes, no doubt. The band will help you do that. But it won't always be easy, and you still have to work at it. You will need to tune into your body and listen for that voice saying "stop...I can't handle any more in this tiny stomach!" That's why eating slow (which I'm not good at) is helpful. Follow the post-op rules, work with your dieitian.

Good luck! Don't give up!

Hi steveamy,

I think we've all felt this way at one time or another, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Having 'a last meal(s)' before the lap band surgery I imagine is also very common. I know I did before my surgery. I knew I would be limited, so I ate everything I thought I'd never get a chance to eat again.

I know what you mean about the switch. The thing that I've noticed about myself is that I used to gobble my food (as if I was afraid someone would either take it away from me or I'd NEVER get a chance to eat it again).

The band FORCES you to slow down and eat smaller amounts (whether you want to or not), you WILL. If you eat too fast or too much, you will feel uncomfortable and maybe even pain. I've found that with most people, the thought of the pain is enough deterrent to keep them from overeating. (It does for me). For example, I loved (yes, notice past tense) pizza. I loved everything about it, the texture, the different tastes in my mouth. Right now I avoid pizza like the plague. I'd rather not eat than try to eat it.

You will adjust. I've been banded going on 8 months and there are still days I could beat my head against the wall for not chewing enough or eating too fast.

It's all a learning process and we're all struggling in our own ways - know this, you aren't alone. Good luck with your surgery, you've taken a first step in the right direction.

BTW..I feel obliged to say something about 'the band will fix all aspects of your life'. Those are pretty high expectations and I'd hate to see you head into this with disappointment looming ahead. The band is only a tool (which you will see people on here say over and over) and it's only as good as you LET it be (or WORK it to be). It's hard work, don't think this as a shortcut. You still have to limit your calorie intake, eat the right foods and start moving your body more. It will work, but you have to do 90% of the heavy lifting...the band doesn't work alone all by itself.

That said, good luck and let us know how you're doing!

Everyone is different - but most of the posts I have read all indicate that as individuals get closer and closer to the band they start to eat in a more crazy manner because they think they are never, ever, ever going to be able to eat those particular things again. I know I did this for about 3-4 days and then I just started to irritate myself, feel sick and just decided to stop.

The band has totally stopped my fixation on food. I almost can't explain it except, I know that the band is there, there is going to be some restriction and if it not worth all the excessive chewing and work to get it down then I don't even want to bother with it. In addition, I am so busy trying to get enough Protein in that I just don't gravitate to the "junk" anymore. The increased exercise has also helped to curb the appetite and because I see results, I only want to move forward and not backwards.

I am sure those who have been banded longer will be able to better articulate it but I am so happy with the band. Tomorrow will be my 6 week anniversary and I am down 25lbs and feel absolutely wonderful. I am bound and determined to get every dime out of this lapband and honestly I don't feel deprived at all.

For some stronger encouragement check out the posts from Jachut, Wasabubblebutt, Salsa and IndioGirl. They have tremendous results and I love any post I can find by them

I learned to stop eating when I was no longer hungry. That is a heck of a lot different from Thanksgiving day dinner full. It is really hard to explain, but your attitude toward food changes.

You might go through a period of mourning, but instead, I hope you go through a period of deciding to change and embracing the changes. It's the difference between having something taken from you and making a decision to change.

You might also learn that YOU decide when you stop eating, not the food. Some people rely on the band for that and others prefer less restriction and more self control. Whatever style of "band use" fits you, I hope you have a great journey and enjoy it.

I felt the same way!! I was banded May 28th and I've lost 17 lbs.

I couldn't see how I would make this work, when my addiction has helped me fail at every diet I've tried before. The Lap-Band is a great tool, but we still have to overcome our brain every day! I can barely eat solids....but man, I want pizza! :behindsofa:

This is something we can do with the band, and you will understand more once the tool is in place to help give you the "stop" signal we were missing before.

Best of luck!

I had the "last supper" syndrome for a couple of weeks before banding. It was almost as if I was mourning the eventual loss of eating whatever I want. I am sure I gained some weight that last little bit but I did not weigh myself to see how much.

Now I am over 4 months out. My attitude towards food has changed. I can eat most things and I dont miss what I can't eat. Before I was hungry hungry hungry . . . I could eat a huge dinner, be stuffed and only one hour later I was ready to eat something sweet. Now food is not an obsession like it was before. The lack of constant hunger has made all of the difference in the world for me.

I dont seem to have the "last supper" syndrome any more. I did try one thing that was not on my list before my last fill, (french fries with cheese and sour cream) and I pb'd after a few bites. I knew I was in the "lets do something naughty before I can't anymore" mode and I was thinking about those fries for a few days. My lapband stopped me in my tracks. I never tried fries again after that. You start to develop a subconscious aversion to foods that make you sick whether you want to or not.

French fries used to be a HUGE TEMPTATION. SUPER SIZE PLEASE Not anymore. I just don't have the craving..........it is the weirdest thing............

Yes, I felt I should have Last Suppers before it is over. But, the fact is that once you don't have an appetite, food loses its importance. I have only been banded 7 days. Even with very little restriction from the surgery, I lost that "LION" appetite. Also, after a period of time, you will be able to eat what most people except a lot less of it. Like I said, once you lose your appetite, food loses the appeal. Amyway, what you are thinking/feeling is perfectly normal but it will be alright.

steveamy we are getting banded on the same day. Let me tell you how bad my craving for food has been. I went to big restarants and ate out Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and in the meantime gained 6 pounds. I am so mad at myself and if I was not on my pre-op diet I would be at a restarant right now. I want to eat EVERYTHING and it is driving me crazy:cursing:. I feel the same way you do I pray with all my heart and soul first of all that they can do my surgery and second of all that my band does help me have a new healthy connection with food. Eat to live not live to eat. So hang in there and we will get thru this on the same day together.:biggrin2: Good luck to all those being banded this week my prayers are with you.:smile2:

Edited by teacherofk

I could echo most of what everyone else is saying; I'm now 5 days post-op banding and because I've been surrounded by the mental attitude of staying on the liquid diet thru this period, I made some good Soups and have juices, liquid supplements etc, food begins to fade just the tiniest bit. Not something you'd think would happen to someone who did all the typical "last supper" days. Shit, 2 days before surgery, I'd gotten rid of all my junk food, but like a maniac, scrounged thru the kitchen, found a box of brown suger, boiled it into taffy and ate the whole pan of it in one sitting. Did I feel bad? duh...Yes, us food addicts have it bad; it is not an easy thing to come to grips with, but acknowledging it, like an alcoholic does is a good place to start. Stay in touch with the support group, read up on compulsive overeating and if need be, find a good eating disorder therapist to work with. I'm reading something my therapist recommended called, "Eating under the light of the moon". It's very gentle and reassuring. Keep the faith! You've been led this far so I think the band is a great tool that will help us. warmly, sufina:cursing:

Thank you so very much to everyone who has replied to my thread. It is so nice to know that someone else understands and can relate to what I'm going thru. I just never thought I had an emotional attachment to food, but duh, I'm getting ready to have WLS!! So guess what? I need to deal with this! I guess it is kind of like mourning something.

It was great to hear from people that the "full" switch does exist and is noticeable after surgery. I am real concerned about that. I guess as long as I do what I'm told and use my new "tool" I should be able to do this! Honestly the fear of the pain from eating the wrong thing, eating too fast etc does scare me. So I need that feat to stay with me until I get every thing under control.

Thank you again to everyone for their input. It is truly helpful!

Amy

French fries used to be a HUGE TEMPTATION. SUPER SIZE PLEASE Not anymore. I just don't have the craving..........it is the weirdest thing............

I was the super size french fry queen... favorite food in the whole world. I don't even think they look good anymore lol.