Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My PB from H E double Hockey Stick

I was about six months post op and visiting friends. We all sat down for dinner (grilled pork chops, broccoli, and mashed potatoes) I found the smallest pork chop got some broccoli and a little mashed potatoes on my plate and thought "OH" this is going to be so good.

We were just having general chit-chat over dinner and I was not paying attention to my chewing. I guess it was about 3 bites into my meal and I knew I was in trouble. I didn’t have time to excuse myself; I knew I had to leave the table and I had to leave now. I either ate too fast or didn’t chew well enough and bam I could feel the tightness in my chest. I knew I had an elephant on my chest and he wasn’t moving. Earl scooched down and made himself very comfortable, no matter what I did to move him, he wasn’t budging.

I was in the restroom for over an hour; I had all sorts of visions running through my head about how to make this tightness in my chest stop. I thought of the car thief who uses a coat hanger to break in, I thought maybe I could perform surgery on myself and remove the band, the longer the episode lasted the more crazy my thought process became.

My friend came and knocked on the door and said my plate was still on the table (Are you kidding me I have been in here over an hour and the last thing I want to think about is eating again) no I’m good go ahead and remove my plate.

After an hour and half my PB from H E double hockey stick came to an end. My poor friends kept coming and checking on me to make sure I was ok; talk about being embarrassed and humiliated at the same time. I was exhausted by the time the whole experience was over. I came out of the restroom to a standing ovation (yeah really). Of course I was asked if I was still happy with my decision to have the band and I answered with a “You better believe it”.

So if you can learn anything from my experience I would hope it would be one of three things.

A.Don’t eat and carry on a conversation at the same time.

B.Don’t experience a PB (Productive Burp)for over an half hour without contacting your surgeon.

C.Avoid Elephants named Earl they are not nice elephants.

I have not had a pork chop to this day.

Edited by CoachCher

Great story and a great summary at the end! I too have found that the only time I get stuck or have problems is when I'm talking with friends while eating. It doesn't matter what the food is, and I normally have no trouble with any kind of food, if I'm yapping while I'm eating, I don't pay enough attention until BAM the band reminds me that it's there. I'm working on it though. Don't give up on pork chops though - just don't pick that option when you're out to dinner with friends! :thumbup:

PS: What about elephants named Bob? Do you think those ones would be ok?

I am a little over four years out; so honestly I don't miss Pork Chops. Trust me it was the worst episode ever. I have never forgotten that feeling or the experience itself.

As far as Elephants named Bob hopefully they are not as mean as the ones named Earl *LOL*!!

My experience was chicken. I took a bite out of the chicken leg rather than having cut it up and was just chatting away and down the bite went. Thankfully I was at home when all the excitement started. Now I cut up all of my meat to less than 1/2 inch cubes, I also mix other food with meat, so its not dry, like a little bite of vegie with the chicken.

Thanks for sharing!

Cherlita

"I thought maybe I could perform surgery on myself and remove the band, the longer the episode lasted the more crazy my thought process became."

Yes I too have had THIS thought lol. I was able to calm myself down and settle on having the "damn thing removed tomorrow". I lived through it and no did not have it removed (Thank God on both accounts lol)

Thank-You for sharing :thumbs_up: makes the rest of us feel like we are not alone when we have issues such as this!

Well, I'm newly banded on 5/29. Still on liquids and mushies for the next few weeks. First fill is July 7th. This was incredibly helpful for me. I never knew what it would feel like. Your description was very helpful for what I should NOT do. I'm so afraid of what will happen if I mess up. Right now the liquids and mushies are getting old. I really want a cheeseburger and fries RIGHT NOW. I've lost alomost 12 pounds and it's only been 2 weeks. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm not even remotely going to cheat right now. Pork chop seems harmless but must have been on the dry side maybe. I love what you said about not talking and eating at the same time. No distractions. Hard to do too. Can't imagine how terrible that was for you. Thanks for sharing. Great advice.

hello again, we have been pretty busy here.:thumbup: my daughter who was banded by dr.aceves in mexicali is doing great! :thumbup:since being banded in february of 08 she has lost 40 pounds.:huh2: and still losing!!! :rolleyes2: she had her 1st fill in april, it was too tight so we had to go back to mexicali for an unfill. which caused discomfort when she ate even a tiny bit because of the band being too tight and she would vomit. since the unfill she has great restriction and is doing wonderful. as they tell you from the get go, it takes a few appts on fills to get it just right. well worth every penny. dr. aceves and his coworkers are awesome!!!:smile2:

after your 1st fill if you notice that after even 2 small bites and chewing very well you have discomfort and feel the urge to vomit then your band is too tight after your fill.we learned this with my daughter. she had a tiny unfill and it's great! she has lost 40 pounds since february of 08. good luck to you

Oh brother, Earl found me!!!!! Mine was a cucumber! Somehow, someway it missed being chewed and here came Earl! Yes, I was out to dinner, and scared my kids half to death since I spent 38 mins of hell locked in the bathroom! Only to leave with Earl, had to stop 4 times on the way home to throw up slim! FInally home threw up so hard, I thought I was going to pass out!....YES, I have learned the lesson not to eat while talking with your kids! Whew! Thank GOD its over! Good bye Earl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so sorry that happened to you, but thank you for the post . I thought I was the only one with such issues such as EARL...I had my surgery 3/20 and have been dealing with eating too fast and too big of bites... I thought I was too tight, but now I know I will ALWAYS NEED TO CONCENTRATE at meals and NEVER let my guard down and NEVER FORGET... it is a real humbling experience to feel the "elephant and want to talk and pray it down", but then it doesn't.... and having to run to the bathroom and PB in the napkin on the way...

Thanks for the post.

cc

Edited by ccc0206
miss word

Earl can a be a huge pain in the chest (No pun intended) Thankfully there are ways to not invite him to have a party on our chest. Chew Chew and Chew some more. The best way to avoid PB'ing is to chew your food to liquid form. This will ensure Earl will not receive the invitation.

I think this happened to me last night. But I don't understand?? I haven't even had my first fill yet, it will be this Wednesday. I was eating chicken thigh and I must of bit off a little too much and all of a sudden I felt this tightness in my chest and a feeling that it just wasn't going down. Finally, I stuck a few fingers in my mouth and it came back out....was I choking? This has never happend to me before in my life! I was really scared!!

Some people have automatic restriction after surgery. Granted it doesn't happen to a lot of folks but you might be one of the lucky people. You probably were not choking just stuck. That is the exact feeling you get when you are properly restricted and don't chew well enough.

Follow up with your surgeon to let them know what happened and find out what his/her thoughts are.

It is scarey when it happens but trust me once you experience it you are more aware and a lot more careful when you eat.

I was banded on may 22nd and have not had a fill yet. Earl has come to sit on my chest too. Most of the time it is when I rush and eat too fast. Even if I am chewing my food up well or not having a conversation. The 1st time I wanted to panic because I didn't know how to fix it or how long it would last and I was going into a very important meeting. The 2nd & 3rd times were wake up calls--chew, chew, chew and s l o w down. It also helps to stop eating every once in a while to reassess what's happening inside that pouch. You know Earl comes in different sizes and I would rather deal with tiny Earl. Its a learning experience.