Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

omg I jogged!!!!

I go to the gym and walk on the treadmill and over the years have tried jogging however I found I wasn't able to do so for more than 10 seconds without feeling I was going to collapse. This week I decided to give it another go and alternating walking and jogging did 60 seconds and then 30 seconds of jogging the first time (what can I say, I like to start slow ha ha), 2 mins and then 3 x 1 minute the second time and today I did 2 mins and then 5 x 1 min (plus 13 minutes of walking in between).

Yay me!!!! :tongue2::smile2:

That's awesome Mss! Congrats! That always feels good, to FINALLY do something more and better! :tongue2: I know how that feels.

Although I gotta say, your math is much too complicated for me! ;0

Congratulations!!!!!

The inner mobidly obese person in me is terrified of running/ jogging. Although I go to the gym 4-5x per week, I have not had the nerve to try jogging on the treadmill. I think somehow I am going to stumble and fall off or that my ankles will break or something :P

On the treadmill, I can get up to about 3.9 miles per hour (hanging on), on the eliptical, I seem to be doing about a 12 to 12 1/2 minute mile, which may be a slow run, without the pressure on my joints, although I am not sure.

Keep it up!!!

Fantastic - the best thing about jogging/running is the sense of achievement it gives you.

I know I could have lost weight and gotten fit by powerwalking rather than running (and perhaps should have, given the state of my back now). But its just not the same. The mental jump from walker to runner was a very important one to me, its something I identify with being thin and fit. And even now, I've lost all my weight, just need to maintain and am having terrible back problems, I cant bring myself to give it up. Plus the extra level of fitness it gives you is awesome.

Good for you!

That's fantastic! I started jogging outdoors yesterday as well! I've been training and preparing my body so i could start running and i did! It's such a victory!

I'm sore as hell today but will be going back later in the day :thumbup:

Just have to be careful when it comes to injuries. I also have a back problem but my doctor said i could run as long as i stop when i feel pain in the back. So far so good!

Congrats mss!

I also had qualms about jogging on the treadmills post op. Now, I run at least 3-4 times a week for up to 3+ miles. I've also just run in my 3rd 5k run this past Saturday. My mother came up for DD's b-day and was able to see me run it. She told DW she never thought she would see me run a 5k.

Just keep working at it. As long as you keep track of how your body is doing, you will eventually be able to jog for longer time periods.

Thanks so much for the support everyone. I am looking forward to going back to the gym tomorrow for my 4th go at jogging.

MrsFlipFlops...I am just trying to increase the amount of time running by a tiny amount each time which is why I am adding an extra minute or two if I feel I can. :thumbup:

JJ I totally relate to your fear of running/jogging. I have been going to the gym for about 5 years to help me build up my muscles and stamina after an injury and even though I feel as if I get a good workout with the weights and walking it is only in the past week that I have really felt as if I was ready to try jogging again....I failed dismally the last time I tried. I am the most unco-ordinated person around though and am sure I give the others a good laugh when I drop my towel or Water bottle when on the treadmill....I once had my shoe fly off when walking!!!!

Jaqcui, your posts definitely have spurred me on to try running as your love for it really comes through in your posts.

Vani congratulations on starting to run as well. And yes definitely be careful especially as you have a back problem. I mix up my workouts so I do weights, pilates type of exercises, hydrotherapy on the days I don't feel up to doing weights, walking and now starting to run, so it means that if I am having a day where my shoulder is really playing up I can change what I do.

Congrats mss!

I also had qualms about jogging on the treadmills post op. Now, I run at least 3-4 times a week for up to 3+ miles. I've also just run in my 3rd 5k run this past Saturday. My mother came up for DD's b-day and was able to see me run it. She told DW she never thought she would see me run a 5k.

Just keep working at it. As long as you keep track of how your body is doing, you will eventually be able to jog for longer time periods.

congratulations on running your third 5km run - wow! It is so great for me to come here and read about others who were once taking their first steps like I am in regards to running and now run so far.

I go to the gym and use the treadmills a few times a week. I was thinking of sneaking in on an early morning and trying my hand at run/walk/run method for a short time to see if I can do it. I haven't lost that much but my fitness level is much higher now that I am moving.

The feeling I would get of accomplishment would more than outweigh any scale :)

I go to the gym and use the treadmills a few times a week. I was thinking of sneaking in on an early morning and trying my hand at run/walk/run method for a short time to see if I can do it. I haven't lost that much but my fitness level is much higher now that I am moving.

The feeling I would get of accomplishment would more than outweigh any scale :teeth_smile:

Yep I go to the gym when it is fairly quiet - late morning or early afternoon, less people to potentially embarass myself in front of ha ha

Guest Leslie2Lose

I've been walking most days 2-3 miles. My walking buddy and I have started jogging (tree to tree) - that sort of thing. We've been walking outdoors - so I'm not sure the timing. I love the fact I can now, I still need a good sports-bra. The girls move way too much, which is aggrivating- lol. I am always afraid of jogging on the treadmill at the gym, I don't want it to break. It makes you feel so good to be able to accomplish something. I know you have to be thrilled too!

I too like Cereadad became a runner. Di my first 5k in april. And last week i just finished my forst Triathlon. There is nothing like it. I still have 100lbs to go but i can run 10k's. I normally do 2 or 3 5k's a week and 1 10k a week.

I swim and bike too. CeraDad and i have a lot in common on that front.he has got about 20 pounds down on me though. but im after him! LOL.

Doesn't it feel good? I remember when I first stated couch 2 5k. I thought I would die when I first started running. Now I can go out and actually run 3 miles!

whosydaddy: I would love to do a triathlon I've been riding my bike and have actually gone 20 miles one day! I also forced myself into the pool. My swimming is pretty weak but I am improving. There is a sprint triatholon in a town nearby in Sept. I would really like to get up the courage to enter. Congrats on completing your tri!

My advice is to just keep working at it. Take baby steps and soon you'll be addicted to exercise and want to do it more and more. I can tell if I take a day off.

You should enter..

Dont worry about the swimming to much your only in the Water for maybe 8mins. bikeing and running is what your will be doing the most of.

I definitely think the Couch to 5K is a great start for beginners. This is what I started with when the MD released me at 2 weeks and I have been faithfully following it. My weight loss has been fairly consistent and I think this is why. Of course, I have been stuck at week 3 for almost 2 weeks now! :)