Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the lap band change your bowels?

I know it's a strange question, but I was wondering if having the lap band affects your bowels any? I already suffer from IBS and am worried that after I'm banded it may get worse. Has anyone experienced this?

thanks!

I saw no difference until my third fill when I really couldn't eat much at all. Since I was trying to get in my Protein I found that affected how often I had a bowel movement. Before it was once a day and now it's every two or three days.

Well, I've only had my band for 9 days, but...for about a week, I thought my butt was broken. But then it happened!!

Seriously, though--it will be basically none for about a week, then will gradually return, loose at first. All of my other friends who have had it say that "things" will resume, but in diminished volume. Just remember to use your benefiber-type supplements!!

Good luck, honey!!! You will be glad you did it!!:tongue2:

I have seen changes. I've been on metamucil for a couple of years to end IBS and balance me and I've been fine. With the band it's very difficult to use metamucil because it clumps- the recommended Fiber is Benefiber. It's not bad but not the same job done. I wouldn't give up having a band for this, because maybe eventually my stomach will get better, but you need to be prepared for change. Also, if your surgeon puts you on 3 weeks of liquids....it is very common to have diarhrea from liquid only. Dont let this change your mind. The band is worth it.

i have IBS, but for me, it was always diarrhea, never Constipation. since being banded, i've been much more regular. some days i might not even go, but most days i do. i still occasionally get diarrhea, but now it's down to about once a week or so, instead of every other day like before being banded.

I have IBS as well and I was very worried that the band would make it worse. But it has actually made it better. I was just banded on May 22. I don't have a fill yet, and that might change things then. But for now, I have been fine. The first week of Clear Liquids I did have Water stools, but that is normal. I haven't been banded long, but I am SO glad I did it.

I've got IBS, also diarrhea type, and for me, it's been great in that respect. I havent had a "flare up" in several months, and now I'm experiencing Constipation for the first time in my life. But for me, I'd rather have that, as I have so far been able to easily resolve it with meds and it has not been disabling like diarrhea can be. As I was before, sometimes it was difficult to leave the house, now, I may have some discomfort from the constipation, but as it's not gotten excrutiating, I can leave the house anytime...huge benefit for me!

Tina

I went from being as regular as clockwork, to straining and have cronic Constipation. It's the pits. I used to go every day, sometimes twice a day and it was loose. Not a problem. Now I go every couple to three days and have to strain to get out something the size of my thumb. I have to eat grapefruit section, prunes and prune juice, etc. If I don't keep up with it I'm miserable. My doctor said if the natural ways don't work to use stool softeners, but I don't want to take those for the rest of my life....

I have diarrhea like symptoms. Its horrible. I go at least four times a day and it's a burning sensation. I hate having to go to the bathroom. When will this stop.

I have terrible Constipation and hard bowel movements. So bad they affected my pelvic floor, and gsve me anal fissures- gross :). I take docusate and Miralax every single day. I also eat 3 prunes with my Breakfast and put benefiber powder in my tea. It keeps things rolling along the correct way now. No more straining!!!:smile2:

It will be this ways forever but I don't care because the weight keeps coming off

Yes it does...I got very constipated when I was very tight...now that I am at goal, I have loosened my band and bowels are back to normal :) thank goodness!!

It changed mine tremendously and for the better too. I used to have incredibly problematic and far too frequent bowel movements. Things now are much better and pretty much normal, which is something that I haven't known for 15+ years.

I've had awful trouble this year (four and a half years banded, never had any trouble before), but I'm not sure that its the band. My family has a strong history of endometriosis, particularly all over the bowl, in the women and bowel cancer on my dad's side AND IBS (which tends to go along with endo on the bowel).

I havent felt well all year, its been chronic low grade diarrhoea, bloating, flatulence, and to be perfectly blunt, I havent had a good satisfying sh*t in about 6 months. I get the urge and then I just fart, sigh. I cant tell if I need to go or if its gas but I have to go to the toilet because small amounts of liquid sometimes pass and I can never be sure.

These are all issues others in my family have had and I to date have escaped. I've always made an effort with my band to continue to eat wholegrains and stayed FAR away from a high Protein low carb diet because I'm concerned with getting fruit and vegies and grains for fibre. But what I find now is its hard to eat enough to make my bowels really regular, I eat prunes, I use benefibre but if I slip up for a couple of days, I'm miserable.

I dont think my band has caused it but it doesnt make it easy to eat well enough.

Let me just say that I had my gallbladder out in 2006 and since then have had constant diarreha it was just horrible tried every kind of med's out there prescription and over the counter. well after the lapband I have no more issues with that and it could be due to me eating alot healthier than before but I go one a day now and that is it!!!!!!! I did have a problem with Constipation for about a week and I ended up drinking a bottle of that magnisium something that gross stuff and after that haven't had another problem. It will be two months banded on the 3rd of July.