Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I had my surgery yesterday, im holding up pretty well all in all... Did anyone ever experience bruising around their incisions, One of mine is starting to form a big purple bruise around this.. IM kinda worrried and my next dr appointment isnt for another 2 weeks... Any helps appreciated

Totally normal. I was banded April 28 and I still have some bruising. I had bruising around three of my incisions. Don't worry about it. Oh, and your gonna be swollen too.

I also developed a big, bright, purple bruise on one of my incisions. It didn't hurt any more than the other incisions. It finally went away after a month. I would say it is probably ok, but watch it and see what it does.

:wink2:

Thanks for the quick responses. Ive been having some random pains and the bruise just worried me further. Hope it goes away soon :wink2:

I was banded May 23rd and most my bruising is gone but it was really bad for the first week or so. I had the most pain around the area of my largest incision which is where they put the fill/unfill port. They sew it to your stomach muscle so it will have a pretty bad pain and pulling feeling for a while I hear. Mine still hurts but the pain is mostly gone. Everything will be great just takes time to heal.

Hi,

I had my surgery yesterday, im holding up pretty well all in all... Did anyone ever experience bruising around their incisions, One of mine is starting to form a big purple bruise around this.. IM kinda worrried and my next dr appointment isnt for another 2 weeks... Any helps appreciated

Some, if not most bruising is due to the fact that a blood thinner is often used either pre or during surgery. I was told that this is to help prevent blood clots. The majority of my bruising is around my port and is a deep purple along with black and blue. I was banded on 5/19 and much of the bruising is fading. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Thanks Guys, And to MY Lap Got bigger, I see you lost 31 lbs aleady? IS that since your surgery??

I wish the weight loss was from the surgery date, but it is including the 2 week liquid pre surgical diet as well. Also, don't be surprised if you happen to gain some weight right aftee the surgery...it is due to all of the IV fluids they pump inside of you. I was about 6 pounds higher after getting on the lie detector (scale) at the hospital, but lost it during the first week post-op.

I have been banded three months today !!! I had bruising and one of my incisions was black and blue for awhile.

When I asked my Dr. he told me that the port is atached to a muscle and that's where the bruising comes from and that incision was the one that hurt the longest.

Good luck on the beginning of your journey..........it's been positive for me since the very beginning!!!

I just took off the waterproof bandages today (was banded tuesday). The smaller ones I almost forget are there, the big one .... not so much. :tongue2: It has a deep bruise that is yellow and purple and I get this random pulling type of pain every once in awhile. I also noticed that part of my skin around it is numb! That shocked me a little but nothing looks infected and I feel pretty good- didn't even take a nap today, everything seems to be getting back to normal- except my throat but that is a whole different issue.

MyLapGotBigger makes a good point - I was so upset when I saw my scale when I came home - it was 6lbs more than when I left the morning of surgery! Its now 2lbs less than when I left for surgery (almost an 8lb difference in 4 days). I still feel a bit bloated but nothing like I did right after surgery. I felt like I was that girl in Willy Wokna's - you could just roll my big blue/purple tummy down the street like a bowling ball. :thumbup:

thankss, that made me feel better lol. The bandage though? am i supposed to hve taken it off? i got my surgery wednesday. it still hasnt fallen off yet?

thankss, that made me feel better lol. The bandage though? am i supposed to hve taken it off? i got my surgery wednesday. it still hasnt fallen off yet?

My tegaderm bandages were removed at my 1 week post op visit and I was told to leave the steri strips on until they fell off. After a few more days they started to "curl" so I simply took them off. I think they say to leave them on so you don't pull off any scabs that might form during the healing process.

I think this is one of those things that varies by doctor. Mine has it in the info packet and everything that I could take the outer layer ones off after 3 days, but everyone is different. The steri strips I was told to let fall off - so I am patiently waiting for that.

I remember that I had the steri strips on my cuts. Most of them came off before I saw my Dr for the 2 wk apt. The ones above my port were still fully attached when I saw the Dr. Dr took one look at them said "are you attached to these? No?" and ripped them right off! Well, I could have done that! But I'm nicer to myself, I would have gone slowly...

I have a bit of bruising (surgery 6/10), but my most sensitive spot is the one between my breasts. The dr found a hiatal hernia and repaired it. That incision is way high and feels very warm and tender! I'm grateful that he repaired the hernia, but hope that heals soon so I can wear a bra comfortably.

At least the scale finally went down a bit!