Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To shrink the liver?

What should I do to really make sure this op goes ahead next Friday please?... Because I seriously don't want/need them to say we didn't do the op because of the liver :confused: I have a three week holiday in Mexico, with hubby and daughter, in September... so I have a goal to be thinner on the plane and looking abit better in my cossie.

Hello

What worked for me is liquids of all forms to strink the liver. I lose 19 pounds in five weeks - here is what I ate

Water, Soup, low fat yogart, low fat smoothies (store brought), sugar free pudding and apple sauce and custod all sugar free products and of course Jello, all types of creamed Soups (only) no noodles, ricotta cheese and sugar free spagetti sauce, juice with no sugar, fruit 2 O.

Hope this is helpful!

Its really hard, but it just needs a lot of willpower over a short period of time. I know how it feels, I was put on a pre-banding liver-reducing diet in April & I was convinced I wouldn't lose enough weight & that the consultant would take one look at my insides & refuse to operate. But, to my surprise, on the day of the op, when they weighed me in hospital, I had lost a whole stone (14lbs) in a fortnight!! :biggrin2:

The hospital gave me a diet sheet to follow, but I just didn't like the food on it & it was VERY limited, so my dietician suggested I try Slimfast. I put this diet together myself, but it roughly works out at under 1000 calories a day. I have never wee'd so much in all my life!! This is a good sign for liver-reduction, though, I beleive!

Breakfast - 1 x Meal Replacement drink (Slimfast)

lunch - 1 x Meal Replacement drink (Slimfast)

dinner - 1 x Slimfast Soup

1/2 pre-packed Asda fresh tropical fruit salad (Melon, Mango, pineapple, etc) with a low-fat Muller Light yoghurt poured over

snack - 1 x Slimfast chocolate Caramel Bar (like a Mars Bar)

Boots online sell multi-packs of the Ready-to-drinks, Soups & chocolate Bars & when I bought mine, they were on a 3 for 2, so it cost me about £40 for the fortnight. Well worth it, in my estimation! I also kept the cost down by buying a tub of the Slimfast powder & making my own shakes. I took them to work in a sealable cup, but I must admit that the Chocolate Ready to Drink bottle is a much nicer flavour than the powder!

It seemed like the fortnight went on forever, but I just crossed each day off my calendar & tried not to think too far ahead. Just try & drink plenty & if you feel like you need food, go for a walk or ring a friend for a chat, just to take your mind off it.

I had to do the "meal replacement" route, as when I try & cut down my portions of "normal" food, I know that I always go over the portion size, so by taking the temptation away & sticking to the above, I had total control over the calories.

Good luck!

Suzi

Edited by rockchick

a very low carb liquid diet such as Optifast will shrink the liver by depeleting it of glycogen.

But above all relax - most obese people have somewhat enlarged and fatty livers and my doc's information says that the liver is a problem in less than 1% of cases. Its worth taking the precaution of course, but dont worry too much about not being able to have the surgery.

My liver was a problem during the op, it was still to big for the surgeon to handle and the op was almost stopped. As it was the op took two hours when it should have taken about 50 minutes.

I was banded in October 07 by Mr John Rogers MD (Oesophagogastric, laparascopic & colorectal surgery)who for the past 16+ has pioneered this procedure. I had the new style band fitted which is held in place with 5 as opposed to 1 retaining stitch. The possibilty of slippage is virtually nil. Look him up on Google.

Previously I had been referred to the NHS to become part of their list ticking system that in reality offers you nothing. It was put to me that I would need to diet to shrink my liver before any operation could go ahead, and it was suggested that I should spend 8 weeks on a milk only diet (!!!!!), thus acquiring all sorts of respiratory problems in the process.

When I had my first consultation with Mr Rogers he told me that a pre-op diet is completely unnecessary and and unrealistic expectation on patients who have been failing to lose weight for whatever reasons and for however long. He said the only reason some providers insist on a pre-op diet is that they are not proficient enough to perfrom the operation. This does not mean that they can't perform the operation, but it is to make their task easier and has no relevence on the outcome.

For those of you who are considering this procdure but as yet have not booked anything, I strongly recommend you contact him or look at the website on www.gordcentre.org.

I weighed in at 128ks in October. I have had 2 fills and I have lost 26kgs so far and still losing - 4 stones in 8 months!

I didn't have to do a pre-op diet, my surgeon looked a bit surprised when

I asked him about it and said....it's not necessary, it's not something

I have people do.

I'm going to ask him next week if in view of the problem he had whilst doing my band if it's something he will now consider getting people to do.

Hello,

My 2 nights stay at The Princess Grace Hospital in London cost £2200 and the total cost for the surgery was just over £5000. John Rogers does not believe in the "this price includes 6 tightenings" as most people won't need more than 3, so these are charged at the time they are needed as follows: £125 for his consultation plus £200 x-ray department costs as all tightenings are done this way. Ordinary consultations in Harley Street are £125.

I hope this information helps. I am so pleased I chose to go to him.

x

I am having my surgery 7/22, and I really feel 2-week preo op diet is for the Dr. not me, I too had to pay cash for mine in Mobile Al, $15,500.00 cold hard cash. I have had enough failure in my years at dieting to know I cannot do this, so he has to earn my money I am paying him.

I have a question, can someone tell me when I start eating regular foods, I am being banded on 7/22, do I eat meat, veg, fruit all at the same time? I know this sounds silly but I need to know.