Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curves Workout

Is anybody a member of Curves? How long did you have to wait to to go back after being banded? Are there any machines in which you can't do right away.

Thanks for the input.

I belong to Curves and I went back after two weeks.. got tired at first.. and had to skip a few days because of gas pains.. but now I am back in full swing and ready for a new challenge...

Today as I worked out I was kind of taking note of which machines might twist my belly after surgery. We have 12 machines at my center and I think there were 4-5 machines that I didn't feel in my abdominal region. Can the machines ruin the lab band or undo stitches?

I went back after 5 weeks and had no problems except for the typical Curves bore :smile2:

The number of machines at Curves is dependent on the size of the membership--so the more members the more machines. However, with that said, a "complete" workout is 26 minutes with 4 minutes of stretching at the conclusion. My doctor recommended 6 weeks of no resistance training after my surgery, but clearly all doctors make different recommendations. I was told to get right back on the treadmill, though....and did my first 3 miles the day I got home from the hospital. My doctor explained that he didn't want me to do any type of lifting until the port and band had the chance to completely heal in place. The ab/back machine is definitely a bad choice, as is the lat lifts, (rocking from side to side) and the one that simulates trunk twists, the squat machine, and the abductor/adductor machine. Realistically, you're using your abdominal muscles to get in and out of any of the machines so you'll want to do it really carefully.

Go easy, you wouldn't want to cause any unnecessary problems. Besides, it's not like your body is going to go through a remarkable change from 3-4 extra workouts.....give it a few weeks to be sure you're healing properly and stick to cardio. :smile2:

I was seriously thinking of checking out Curves because they're everywhere. But I have a few questions if there's anyone out there who can answer them for me without contacting a Curves consultant first.

1. How often do you go or can you go?

2. About how much does it cost?

3 Do you have to make an appointment to go?

Thanks brandyII if anyone out there is still awake or available:smile:

I was seriously thinking of checking out Curves because they're everywhere. But I have a few questions if there's anyone out there who can answer them for me without contacting a Curves consultant first.

1. How often do you go or can you go?You can go as often as you like, but they suggest 3-4 days per week to start. Even though it's a 30 minute workout, many of us do 3 times around the circuit for a total of 45 minutes. It all depends on what the individual owner allows. Corporate wants them to be closed on Sundays, so most are. Also, many are closed for an hour during the lunchtime. Go online to find one nearest you as each is individually operated and owned. (Wow..I sound like an ad, huh?!)

2. About how much does it cost? They offer different plans ranging from a year commitment at $39 (in the Northeast) a month plus joining fees (supposedly usually $150, but half off now...never seen it at $150 though....) There are a lot of specials that allow for cheaper joining fees. They're associated with Avon, so use the two websites and look online for specials. If you join for less time, you'll pay more. We had a "special" for $49 a month if you only joined month to month. However those customers aren't able to have "travel passes" that allow you to use any Curves to workout

3 Do you have to make an appointment to go? For your first visit, you should. Be sure to wear comfortable clothes and BRING your sneakers. They prefer you to keep your workout shoes clean so that the circuit and recovery stations don't get dirty. Make an appointment to be sure that someone is available to actually walk you through the first workout. After that, you're welcome to come and go as you please. There is always staff to watch over while you're working out to be sure you're doing things correctly. They don't hover, but they're told to converse and keep you company.

Thanks brandyII if anyone out there is still awake or available:smile:

I love going to Curves because I don't have to change pins on machines, deal with meatheads from the gym and it's very social. We have members from 18-85 at my Curves. Talking and enjoying my workout makes me go more often. Good luck!

The machines use hydraulic resistance instead of weights. I pay 40 a month and had no enrollment fee because I'm a teacher. I always feel comfortable there and can't wait to lose weight so I can talk and not get so winded while I exercise. My favorite part of Curves in my city is the jungle gym stretcher at the end of my workout. It's fun and feels GREAT

I've been a member for 5 1/2 years and love the social atmosphere I get from there!

I went back at 5 weeks--but I must tell you, the two machines that gave me the most issues were the leg press (legs up in the air, pushing outward) and the leg curl (legs tucked in rolls and lifting upward)--they put a little strain on my port. So I did avoid them for about 2 months and then it was fine, must've just been the healing thing.

I also work out at the YMCA (didn't go back there for 7 weeks after surgery) but I had to cut my weight way back on the leg press there too--and honestly, I am still not back to using the amount of weight on the leg press that I was pre-surgery.

Our Curves owner is just terrific and the comraderie is so worth going for! Oh, by the way, I pay just $29 a month (committing for a year), but it is $39 a month if you want to just pay monthly (some Curves give you that option). And they are constantly running specials that cut the enrollment fee in half or eliminate it altogether--so check that out too.

Good luck to you--you will never regret making the decision to exercise, m'dear!:tongue2:

Thanks everyone, I went on line last night but it didn't mention money so I avoided signing up with the free "tour" until I heard back from you all.

Sounds like I need to look for a special but still it's more the type of gym I would be interested in, I sometimes feel stupid because I don't use those machines, I'm not a gym person and have a treadmill at home and free weights but it's just not doing it for me and I need to get assistance with this.

Anyway thanks again brandyII.

Thanks everyone, I went on line last night but it didn't mention money so I avoided signing up with the free "tour" until I heard back from you all.

Sounds like I need to look for a special but still it's more the type of gym I would be interested in, I sometimes feel stupid because I don't use those machines, I'm not a gym person and have a treadmill at home and free weights but it's just not doing it for me and I need to get assistance with this.

Anyway thanks again brandyII.

Brandy,

I used to work for a Curves in Boston. To the best of my knowledge, we never did any sales pitch to people who came by for a free trial workout unless they expressed interest. It isn't a high powered gym or a big pitch to sell, at least in Massachusetts. It's a place where women of all types and sizes workout and enjoy themselves. It does get a little boring when there aren't many people on "the circuit", but it's sometimes less intimidating that way, too. There is a staff member who will show you everything and will walk you through working out. Each machine responds to the amount of effort you put in through air resistance. Thus, the harder you push, the harder it resists. If you want an "easier" workout, just don't push as hard. You spend only 30 seconds on each piece of equipment, then 30 seconds on a "recovery" station. This station allows you to continue moving at your own pace. You are also required to stop and check your heartrate at least twice during the workout. At that time, you count for 10 seconds to determine a goal based on your age. If the rate is too high, you need to workout with less intensity. If your heartrate is too low, then you need to put a little more effort into it. This way it best suits your needs. If you have any old injuries or issues with movement, the staff will assist you to figure out what to do. The first meeting is usually low profile, without sales push. I hope you'll at least tour one near you. For people without previous workout exprience, Curves is very successful in getting them to move and lose! Good luck. :)

Thanks luv2teach,

I know I may sound dumb to you but I'm not very good at doing my own heart rate. I'm a visual learner so sometimes I have to be shown things a few times, I hope they're patient people, lol. Thanks again brandyII. I may contact them tonight or tomorrow.:)

At my curves, we do 2 circuits with 12 machines. One of the machines is a stair stepper that automatically tells you your heart rate. We also have a Bracelet that we scan at each machine. At the end of the workout, it charts our progress on our personal avatar on a computer software program. I got a copy of all of the machines and descriptions from Curves yesterday and I'll show it to my surgeon to see what he oks me to use.

Thanks Camel_cracker,

Sounds good to me, as I don't have "mad skills". I'll try to see which of the Curves around me looks best, thanks brandyII and good luck to you!!:)