Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:scared2:has anybody had a cold or sore throat going into surgery?

i think i am fighting one off the right side of my throat is sore and i see a few white spots on it.

i am chugging emergen-c plus i am drinking 4 boost high Protein shakes a day because i am on a 2 week pre op liquid diet.

im so scared that if i am a little under the weather they will send me packing on june 11th my lapband surgery day

i don't know what to do!!!

im freaking out slightly!!

XOXOX

Barbie

Call your surgeon's office. You are at higher risk for respiratory complications, and anesthesia may not want to put you under. I caught a cold the Friday before my Tuesday banding (3/25/08) and was sure it was nothing major, and that it would be over by Monday (it was). I called the surgeon's office and they postponed my surgery a week. I had been on a liquid pre-op diet for two weeks, and it wasn't enough time to go off it and back on, so I ended up on that an extra week, so by surgery day I had already lost 35 pounds. Don't put yourself at risk. Call.:cursing:

Well i don't feel like I have a cold. I just have a slight sore throat. I think if I can catch it I will be fine by June 11th. I am going to call my pcp in a few mins here and see what they say. If I cancel my surgery I wont be able to get in for 3 months hes that booked!!

I will be OK!! Think good thoughts for me!!

XOX

Barbie

I'm just getting over a summer cold (sore throat, slight fever, generally tired) that only lasted three days. If my surgery was four days away I'd be fine for it. You have a week so rest a lot and try and get over it as soon as possible. But if you are still sick the day of surgery tell your surgeon!!! Putting off surgery a few days is better than dealing with unexpected complications or an immune system that is overtaxed from dealing with both illness and a major shock to the body.

Ah-choo and I hope you feel better soon!

Well i don't feel like I have a cold. I just have a slight sore throat. I think if I can catch it I will be fine by June 11th. I am going to call my pcp in a few mins here and see what they say. If I cancel my surgery I wont be able to get in for 3 months hes that booked!!

I will be OK!! Think good thoughts for me!!

XOX

Barbie

gargle lots of lysterine three times a day. That stuff should knock it out in 2 days time.

If you aren't scheduled for surgery until June 11th then I would call your general practitioner and go in for a visit. If you need antibiotics you will be able to fit in a full course by the time your surgery comes around.

I came down with a urinary tract infection seven days before my surgery. I called the Dr. immediately and was able to get in a full course of antibiotics before the surgery date.

You want to make sure that you are as healthy as possible for this surgery. I have very back allergies that often leads to bronchitis and severe upper respiratory infections, so my Dr. made sure that I was taking my allergy medications and using my inhaler...even though I didn't need it at the time. His rationale was that I head off anything potential illness prior to surgery.

Don't be afraid of the rescheduling...chances are the Dr. will do the surgery anyway but you don't want to go through all of this and not feel well afterwards.

Good luck!

I was just coming on here to ask this same question. I called my surgeons office and they told me to call my gp and get on something. My surgery is Tuesday, and if they have to postpone it, it will be months before I can get in. I don't want that.

I have severe allergies, and have a sinus infection because of them. I'm going to get something today to take care of this by Monday.

good luck!! i will think good thoughts for you!!

My surgery is the day after yours!! wooppeee are you excited and scared at the same time?

I see you are in MI too, where is Manchester?

I'm excited, it's been a 2 year + journey for me to get my surgery. I just want it over with, so I can start living my new life.

Manchester is west of Ann Arbor approx 25 miles. Right between Ann Arbor and Jackson.

I was banded last week and had a similar experience. I had a sore thoat and a cough. At first I didn't think a lot about it, but then the cough became productive and I was short of breath. I don't have any medical problems, but I knew my surgery would be cancelled if I told my surgeon. I just used my son's inhaler preoperatively for the shortness of breath and went with it.

Now that I'm post op I have had some complication with mucous, cough, wheezing and thrush. I saw my PCP yesterday and was prescribed an inhaler and some other meds. He seems to think I'll be fine.

Looking back, if I had ANY medical problems I may have chosen to delay. But, I would have been significantly delaying in having surgery. It's a tough choice. My husband was mad about it and teases me now that I've experienced some complications.

But I'm banded and recovering. I guess my advice would be to be ready for a longer recovery if you are now feeling 100% when you have surgery.