Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I just got home a short while ago and wanted to say hello. I had my surgery yesterday around noon time and am home already. Surgery went well, though I was terrified. I was at the hospital alone and even until the point I was laying on the table and they were setting up I was thinking about running. Next thing I knew I was in recovery.

Here's how the day went.

I arrived at 9:15 for my 11AM surgery, filled out paperwork and read my book until they called me back around 11:10AM. The nurse took my blood pressure (about 10 times because the machine couldn't get a reading), temperature and verified I hadn't eaten since the night prior and that I was doing the liquid diet prior to surgery. Next the anastesiologist (I will never be able to spell that) came in. He was SOOOO nice to me. I was obviously nervous but he told me everything was going to be ok, his calm and caring personality really helped. I started crying (I was really nervous!!!) and told him I didn't want to die - he told me I wouldn't and that he would take good care of me.

Another nurse came in and confirmed again my diet and no eating since day before, she took my belongings as well. The anastesiologist assistant came in next and just chatted with me and gave me a step by step of what was going to happen - this was very helpful for me. Essentially once you hit the room people start buzzing all around and if I didn't know that was going to happen it would have really scared me. My surgeon came in next and we chatted a bit, apparently she had heard how nervous was. She was great- I really think she is the best.

After she left I changed in to the really cute gowns and made the long walk to the OR. The OR was really frightening - with all the stuff and lights and people in there. But they were talking to me the entire time which took my mind off of it. I laid down on the table and someone attached the leg massager things (to prevent clots in your legs), while I got a shot of relax drugs and they started my iv. They continued to talking to me - where are you from etc. My surgeon came over and held my hand as I tried not to cry and then TADA I was going to recovery. I felt like a few people were yelling different commands at me - Open your eyes, take deep breaths etc but that's about it.

It took me a good 2 hours at least in recovery to be fully aware and able to focus. A nurse stayed with me the entire time which was great because let me just say that pain from the gas they filled me with made my chest so tight feeling I really did think there was something wrong with my heart. Some morphine in my iv helped with the pain and then they gave me some percacet. While I was uncomfortable I wasn't in pain after that.

Around 5ish I went up to my room. I got some broth and Water around 6 and around 8 my belongings finally came back to me (yay!!! my underwear!!!!). After I put those on I went pee for the first time and then made circles around the floor for a little bit - really takes away the gas pain. Went back to my room to rest and have more broth and then more walking back to my room to read for a bit before bedtime.

They kept following up during the night on how my pain level was and I was doing fine, again more uncomfortable than anything. I got some motrin through my IV instead of the heavy stuff. This morning more motrin more walking more broth. Nurses checked on my pain and the someone from the surgical team came by and checked out my incisions followed about an hour later by my surgeon who cleared me to go home. So here I am. I got to take a shower and I am sore but not in pain. They did give me a perscription for pain meds which I filled just in case but so far I'm ok. Its time for a nap and some gas x I think. I hope this information is helpful. :cursing:

I am glad everything went well! My surgery is in a little over a week and it is nice to hear how yours went! please keep us updated....I will be watching this thread to see what I have in store for me in the upcoming weeks!

God Bless!

Eeyore-

Glad everything went well fro you. I was banded two weeks ago and feel so much better now that the gas has subsided. Keepa positive attitude as your life is about to change and enjoy every moment of your new habits and weight loss journey.

Ollie:tongue2:

Congrats and welcome home! I hope my surgery goes as well as yours. I can't wait until I am a bandster. Thank you for the good information. I have panic attacks and would swear they are heart attacks when they happen. Will be good to know that it is not my heart right after surgery if I have that type of pain.

Get some rest and keep us updated! :cursing:

So glad to read about your experience, mine was almost exactly the same, my surgery was 5/29 so I will be a week out on thursday. I was also very nervous about the whole thing and amazed that you are literally awake and talking and then waking up in recovery. I agree, very little pain, just soreness. One heads up for anyone wondering, I did have some pretty bad spasms in the first couple of days whenever I tried to drink anything. I was very worried because it was taking me 5-6 hours to drink one Protein Shake and I was not able to take anything in without triggering these horrible squeezing type pains right in the center of my chest and abdomen. I found out later that sometimes this can happen and it is from the swelling around the band and if it goes on for more that a couple of days there is medicine for it. It has stopped now, for the most part and what a relief. I wouldn't have been so worried if I knew that this might happen, so heads up!! Hopefully, nobody else will experience this. Except for that, I am feeling really good, going to a movie today. Hang in there, I understand that everyday gets easier and that has been my experience so far!!:biggrin2:

Eeyore,

Bless your heart! I am so glad you found the courage to go through with the surgery. I remember that you had a pretty rough week right before.

I am sure that today you are happy you did it. It's all part of yur new life and moving forward. I am really happy for you.

Thanks for sharing all the details. I go in tomorrow and somehow hearing the details helps.

Take Care and check back often!

My surgery is on June 9th I'm so nervous and not sure what to expect. My Dr. did not put me on a liquid diet, just on low carbs, everyone else that I've talked to said they had to do liquids for 2 weeks before surgey. Should I call my Dr. again to make sure I understood him correct? Eeyor thanks for posting your experice.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I go in Monday and am a bit nervous. Knowing what to expect helps tremendously. Keep us posted so we know what to expect next! Thanks Again.

My surgery is on June 9th I'm so nervous and not sure what to expect. My Dr. did not put me on a liquid diet, just on low carbs, everyone else that I've talked to said they had to do liquids for 2 weeks before surgey. Should I call my Dr. again to make sure I understood him correct? Eeyor thanks for posting your experice.

I'm no expert but it wouldn't hurt, each doctor is different. You'll see a variety of pre op diets online here, some people don't even have a pre op diet at all! If you are concerned give your doctor a call. :cursing:

thank you, thank you, thank you eeyore for the wonderful surgery description. i am ashamed to say that although i am 5'2", 319 pounds, I am terrified of being under during surgery. i have never had surgery before and i am scared that i am so fat, i will quit breathing and die. i do know if i don't do something i will die of fat, anyway. so, please keep the info coming, it is comforting and gives me the encouragement to hang in there. i meet for the first time with my doctor next week. i have 5 more months of weigh-ins with my gp (bc/bs requirement) and i love to read about true surgery- good luck with your recovery and God bless!

thank you... will be operated on in July I think and the closer it gets the more questions I have... thanks for the details... we are self paying here in Canada so I go home that night.....my son will deliver me so I should be all right...

awesome glad everything went well. Im scared because im here in germany doing this and i worry about the language barrier. oh geesh here i go stressing again LOL

thank you, thank you, thank you eeyore for the wonderful surgery description. i am ashamed to say that although i am 5'2", 319 pounds, I am terrified of being under during surgery. i have never had surgery before and i am scared that i am so fat, i will quit breathing and die. i do know if i don't do something i will die of fat, anyway. so, please keep the info coming, it is comforting and gives me the encouragement to hang in there. i meet for the first time with my doctor next week. i have 5 more months of weigh-ins with my gp (bc/bs requirement) and i love to read about true surgery- good luck with your recovery and God bless!

That was my fear about going under as well but I was talking to my pcp and told him about how scared I was and he told me that it is far safer to go under and be intubated than not- because the ventilator does the breathing for you. That actually made me feel better about that part of the surgery. Also the anthes. said he wouldn't take the tube out until I was breathing to his satisfaction and that I wouldn't remember it at all.

After the surgery with all the gas I really thought there was something wrong with my heart and/or my lungs because it was tough to breath and my chest was so tight feeling but the longer I was awake the easier it became. You'll also have to do breathing exercises afterwards with this little gizmo that measures how much air you take in to reinflate you lungs to pre-surgery capacity.

I don't know that any of this will make you feel better but perhaps it will at least give you the knowledge of what to expect.