Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone seen my missing mojo?

I just don't know what my deal is. I did so well for the first few months, and now I have totally lost my willpower. I know part of it is that I am still hungry. I have had a couple of fills, and even had a slight unfill because I could eat NOTHING at one point (liquids ONLY). I am afraid to get another fill and end up not able to eat again.

I just don't think the band is actually working for me like I thought it would. I do have foods get stuck sometimes and I have pb/slimed many times (mostly because I am distracted with my kids or something while eating and swallow too much or don't chew enough). Obviously bad choices go RIGHT DOWN....but no matter if I make a healthy choice or a bad choice, I am never really full or have that "satisfied" feeling that I thought this surgery would do for me. I have two choices, goes right down and still hungry or gets stuck and I am done until everything moves - there doesn't seem to be any sort of a happy medium. I gained 1/2 a pound last week and I think that didn't help with my bummed out feeling about this.

I KNOW I should not compare myself to anyone else, but I am only at about 37 lbs down and am about 14 weeks post-op. I thought I would be further by now.

I am starting to wonder if going off of the Lexapro could be part of the issue? My dr always gives you the option to take something like that pre-op and continue for a while post-op to help and I stopped taking it about a month ago. I am wondering if my willpower/drive went away with that? I called and they are calling me in another script for it, so I am hoping that might help. But damn - what is my deal? My exercise is sporatic when I get like this so I am trying to force myself back into that to help kick start my metabolism.

I know I am still making MUCH better choices than I would have 6 months ago, but obviously not good enough since I gained .5 last week!

Sorry for being a whiner, but I am just feeling like I am failing at this process right now and needed to share with someone who might understand like the folks here. The people who know I have had the surgery all keep saying that I have done so well and basically blowing off what I say about how I am struggling.

I think your too hard on yourself. Your 37 lbs lighter than 3 months ago. That's like getting almost four bowling bowls off your ass.

.5 lbs? Shoot, os, I fluctuate 7 lbs up and down for weeks at a time. You know how I fixed wanting to kill myself? I killed the scale. Get off of it, I think you will feel better.

I am 39 lbs down. Sometimes I want to be 65 lbs down at this point. But I'm not, but I am smaller and it is working.

I've only P'b once, never slimed. I get stuck, but really on nothing but bready things. You are not supposed to PB all the time, too much of it is a bad thing. And there are many long time banders (and losers) that say they have never Pb'd. We are doing fine, honey.:thumbup:

I think you are doing really well... you have lost over 10 pounds a month... and lets even it out to 4 months.. for pre-op diet and few days into June... that's 9.25 pounds a month! umm.. that is REALLY good. I know there are some folks that have lost in the 50's and 60's, but we can't compare ourselves to them.. it's very hard.. trust me.. I did it.. but we all have different metabolisms and are on different journeys. It sounds like you are just on a plateau right now which is a good thing because it means your body has accepted the new weight and is happy with it! I wouldn't call .5 pounds weight gain.. lol. that could be some bloating.. to a pair of pants..

And I totally know how you are feeling!! From my last fill two weeks ago I lost nothing..... didn't lose or gain...

I just don't know what my deal is. I did so well for the first few months, and now I have totally lost my willpower. I know part of it is that I am still hungry. I have had a couple of fills, and even had a slight unfill because I could eat NOTHING at one point (liquids ONLY). I am afraid to get another fill and end up not able to eat again.

I just don't think the band is actually working for me like I thought it would. I do have foods get stuck sometimes and I have pb/slimed many times (mostly because I am distracted with my kids or something while eating and swallow too much or don't chew enough). Obviously bad choices go RIGHT DOWN....but no matter if I make a healthy choice or a bad choice, I am never really full or have that "satisfied" feeling that I thought this surgery would do for me. I have two choices, goes right down and still hungry or gets stuck and I am done until everything moves - there doesn't seem to be any sort of a happy medium. I gained 1/2 a pound last week and I think that didn't help with my bummed out feeling about this.

I KNOW I should not compare myself to anyone else, but I am only at about 37 lbs down and am about 14 weeks post-op. I thought I would be further by now.

I know I am still making MUCH better choices than I would have 6 months ago, but obviously not good enough since I gained .5 last week!

At the rate that you are losing, your skin and your body are accepting it, and you are not going to have a bunch of skin to take off, and you are going to be able to keep it off.

I know how you feel. I want gastric bypass results too. But I, like you, made the healthier choice, IMHO. And we have to be more patient. I am in the same boat. In fact, I had an appointment for a fill, even though I wasnt sure that I needed it. But I cancelled because I have lost, like you, although slowly, and I think that I should jus stay the course.

We can do this. We are doing this. We are healthier than we were 4 months ago and we will continue our journey to be the healthiest we can be!

hi, Officeslave (that moniker evokes all kinds of images that fit where i work too--made me smile.)

my surgeon helped me set expectations early-before he agreed to do my surgery, in fact, made sure i understood that weighting myself athome was "bad" and that i should adjust my expectations to 1-2 pounds per week on AVERAGE. he taught me that losing more than that was not healthy for my body, as mhazelrigg said, that the skin and hair and all that needs the time to "slim down" to continue to fit also.

i congratulate you on your 37# reduction and hope that you will become more regular in your exercise. i walk every day--even only 20 minutes and not, necessarily "vigorously"--but EVERY day. it MATTERS.

i play tennis (well that's what i call it--i'd never be mistaken for Chris Evert) once a week with a tennis ball machine. it keeps me moving and doesn't criticise my swing... :biggrin2:

the nice thing about walking and tennis is that they don't require any significant $$ to do them and you don't have to go to the gym...

you're really doing well--give yourself a break.

Well, first thank you to all of you for the kind words. I am still in my funk a little, but weighing in today I lost 2 1/2 last week so I am happy about that. My total is up to 39.5 which makes me happy. My first "mini goal" was 40 so I am almost there. I will start another "mini goal" as soon as I get that next 1/2 lb off.

I guess I just am not a patient person like I thought I would be. A friend of mine did the Rou-En-Y recently and has already far surpassed my weight loss (in less than 1/2 the time!) so I am sure between that and gaining 1/2 lb last Wednesday, that is what kicked me into a funk.

Again, thanks for the encouraging words. I truly appreciate them!