Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie - Anxiety and Panic

I was banded May 26, so I am very new to all of this. I was wondering if anyone else was feeling anxiety and/or having episodes of panic after banding? food is/was so important to me that several times I have had a sensation of panic when I think about how I have to eat now. I am also anxious and restless. Does any of this sound normal? To the outside world I look fine but inside I am Jello, quivery, scary jello.

Have you ever been treated or diagnosed with anxiety or depression? I don't know if it goes hand in hand or not but I know some people can suffer from anxiety or depression after surgery. I'd speak to your doctor about it.

I was banded May 26, so I am very new to all of this. I was wondering if anyone else was feeling anxiety and/or having episodes of panic after banding? food is/was so important to me that several times I have had a sensation of panic when I think about how I have to eat now. I am also anxious and restless. Does any of this sound normal? To the outside world I look fine but inside I am Jello, quivery, scary jello.
I can understand about anxious and restless. Not so much the panic unless I start trying to look to far ahead. I think because food has been such a big part in our lives that the thought of not eating as much and having our "shield" to hide behind that can be very scary. Good luck to you and it will get better.

I was banded on May 15th. I didn't have that issue, but I thought a lot about it ahead of time and wondered if I would. I have a friend who was banded last year and he just about freaked out in the first week, he was ready to have the band removed. Several of his family members and good friends got together with him, kind of shook him a bit (figuratively, not literally) and emphatically told him.... YOU CAN DO THIS!

He did calm down, got over his anxiety, recognized that it was just a symptom of his unhealthy relationship with food, and now he's doing great. But it is a struggle that I think a lot of people go through. I'd recommend therapy to help you deal with your issues about food. But then, I think we can all benefit from therapy.

Yes, I do suffer from depression, but not so much anxiety. I'll talk to my doc and see what he says. Thank you.

I didn't know if you were medicated for it already. I guess I was the opposite because I kind of was excited about after the surgery but then went a bit down.......hill when I wasn't doing as well as I had hoped. Not that you'd go through that but I'm just explaining why my depression got worse. Anyway good luck and take care, you'll get better but I'm glad you're going to talk to your doctor.

Sometimes you can breathe away the anxiety and panic. I have panic attacks in a big way and the first thing I do is begin to take long deep breathes in through my nose and take just as long as you exhale through your mouth. Try to visualize someplace that is tranquil to you. Let yourself "go there". I also use a bit of lavender oil behind my ears and on my wrists.

Anxiety and panic can be very very scary.

I agree with those who said to call your doc also. He may be able to prescribe something to calm you for a while so your body and mind can adjust to the new way of life.

I find all of your comments and suggestions very comforting. Northwest Nance, thank you for sharing about your friend, it sounds familiar. One thing, I'm not afraid to talk about "what's wrong." I find some pretty good insights if I risk sharing. You guys are great!

I can COMPLETELY relate to your feelings. I was so scared the first few weeks after surgery, but as soon as I got to chew something the anxiety went way down. I have found that I don't think about food as often as I used to. Also, I can eat anything now, just in moderation. I really hope this will be the case with you and your terrible feelings will fade away as your life gets back to normal. Good luck! I'll send positive thoughts your way!!!!

BrandyII,

I am still on my Xanax (although I forgot to take a dose today so I may pay for that later) but I am feeling less.....stressed. I go out of my way to keep my life simpler now and that is helping alot. I also tend to be one of those people who has a hard time saying no. I tend to take on more than I really need to at times and I have begun to learn how to a) say "no" and :lol: keep my mouth shut and not volunteer.

I take a bit more time for me now. It is making a difference. I hope that after a while that these panic attacks will just sort of fade away. Of course, perhaps I need them as a reminder to keep it simple.

That's great, I could kind of tell you were doing better and a good person to chime in here as you could probably add some words of wisdom as you did.

I could relate to that doing too much person at one time also and now I'm almost the opposite! And it doesn't hurt either, lol. Take care brandyII.