Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do with drunk drivers?

I would ban them for life from driving. That's after the ten year jail term.

They are all trash. Why should I have to put up with them?

You shouldn't... I agree with you. Drunk drivers, especially chronic offenders, shouldn't be able to drive and should be required to serve time.

Hmmm. I'm not exactly sure where I am on the issue. When I was very young(6 or 7), my aunt, uncle and 2 year old cousin were killed by a drunk driver. I was shielded from the event and quite honestly don't remember much about it. I do know that it was a van of drunk teenagers who hit them and nomne of them had more than minor injuries. The driver served no time in jail.

The flip side - my younger brother(28) is an alcoholic and he is certainly not trash. It wasn't known by anyone but him and his wife until he was 100% out of control. He spent 6 months in and out of hospitals and detox centers. Finally after what seemed like an eternity - he went to an inpatient rehab. He worked so incredibly hard while he was there and has continued to do so. During his drinking episodes, I know of at least a couple of times that he drove. I called the police both times and gave his vehicle description and plate number. I was more afraid that he would hurt or kill someone else than himself, sad but true.

Anyway, he did receive a DUI. He was not pulled over because of an accident, swerving, or any other 'traffic violation'. Not that it makes it any better. He was pulled over because they were looking for him. My family left him in jail until the next day when he was released on his own. It was after this event that he committed to inpatient treatment, a wake up call if you will.

After treatment he had his court date for his DUI. He had an attorney who thought he could get him off because of some technical glitches. My brother said no. He pleaded guilty. He asked the judge for a breathalizer to be installed in his car(when he got his license back), he had the cost of his attorney bill, the cost of probation, the cost of the breathalizer installation and monthly fees, one year probation, he lost his job. He no longer hangs out with the same crowd(not because they are bad but because they do some of the things that he finds to be triggers - playing pool, fishing, going to a bar etc). He lost the trust of his wife, family, friends and employer. I know that none of this makes up for the possible tragedy that 'could have been' because of his carelessness.

At the same time, when I look at him now - there is no comparison. He has a great job, he has regained the trust he'd once lost, he is sober, responsible and hard working. He reaches out to those in need. He hosts AA meetings and works the program. He actually drives people to AA meetings who do not have a license. I can't imagine him still being punished now.

He was very, very ill. Alcoholism is a disease just as cancer, diabetes and heart disease are. Having enough will power doesn't fix alcoholism. He should NOT have driven(remember it was ME who called the police) and I don't condone any of his behavior, but honestly - he was out of control in every sense of the word. Even on a sober day his mind didn't function normally. It took several weeks of sobriety before he was 'normal' again. I'm not making excuses, please don't misunderstand. It's just a whole new level of understanding about the illness.

All of that said - I don't know the answer. My brother *could* fall of the wagon. He *could* drink and drive again. He *could* hurt or kill someone. I don't know that taking someone's license would stop them from driving(I am not speaking specifically of my brother), especially if they were still drinking. I don't know that taking a chance on it happening again is the greatest idea either. I guess I had a LOT to say with nothing to really add to the thread... sorry about that. For me, it's just such a gray issue.

I get the fun of making recommendations to the Court for sentencing for criminal offenders, including drunk drivers. I want to put in a pre-sentence report that some of them deserve to be drawn and quartered, but I don't think the judge would be amused.

Guest Leslie2Lose

In college, I was in a car accident involving a drunk driver. I was a passenger in a car that was at a standstill. We were hit from behind by a car going 70 MPH. The driver was drunk, he had a suspended license for DUI and no car insurance and the car he was driving wasn't his. We also hit the car in front of us and they in front of them. We were in a 1992-93 (?) Ford Thunderbird. It ended up looking like a smushed accordian. When I woke up my legs were hanging out of the passenger door window and my head was in the drivers lap. He (the driver of our car) had seen me going through the front windshield (my body broke the seatbelt - the impact was so bad) and pulled me back in before he blacked out. There was one other person in the car with us, in the back seat. The FHP officer that worked the wreck said in 20 years of law enforcement he'd never seen such a bad wreck where there were survivors. All three of us walked away with only scratches and bruises. I believe we had guardian angels watching out for the three of us and it was not our time. God had other plans for us. The driver that hit us wasn't wearing a seatbelt. He ended up going through the windshield of his car and ended up on the back of ours. It wasn't pretty, but for once the innocent bystanders were okay and he was the injured party.

He ended up going to jail for DUI and among many other charges. I think he only served a year.

Hmmm. I'm not exactly sure where I am on the issue. When I was very young(6 or 7), my aunt, uncle and 2 year old cousin were killed by a drunk driver. I was shielded from the event and quite honestly don't remember much about it. I do know that it was a van of drunk teenagers who hit them and nomne of them had more than minor injuries. The driver served no time in jail.

The flip side - my younger brother(28) is an alcoholic and he is certainly not trash. It wasn't known by anyone but him and his wife until he was 100% out of control. He spent 6 months in and out of hospitals and detox centers. Finally after what seemed like an eternity - he went to an inpatient rehab. He worked so incredibly hard while he was there and has continued to do so. During his drinking episodes, I know of at least a couple of times that he drove. I called the police both times and gave his vehicle description and plate number. I was more afraid that he would hurt or kill someone else than himself, sad but true.

I can see that you see both sides of the issue, not to make lite of your uncle, aunt and cousin but try being 21 and losing your mother to a drunk driver. this happened to me. my mother never got to attend my wedding when I was 27, 2.5 years later she could not be there for the birth of my daughter, my daughter will never know what she was like but for what I can tell her. I have one sister that her kids are the only ones that she got to see and hold and they where 3,2, and 10months at the time of her death. another sister has 2 girls one born 4.5 months after her death. I have a brother that was 16 at the time of her death, who was not on the right path in life as it was but now has spent the most part of the past 14 years in jail trying to forget her death. and one sister is so messed up we don't know what to do to help her.

so lock them up and throw away the damn keys.

your brother is lucky he hasn't killed anyone. but as I learned 14 years ago, they get a slap on the wrist. :(

sorry this is a very sore subject with me. and yes after 14 years still very angry that my mom is gone. i am just glad that I wasn't any younger!!! to this day I still need my mom and some @$$ took her life.

Pearlygirl,

I'm sorry about the issue with your brother. Can kind of relate with my dad. He was in put in prison over night at the age of 79 for drunk driving and this was not his first offense but they let him go. I think the laws in FL may be a bit easy when it comes to the elderly and drunk driving. They should have taken away his license. Finally my brother and I took away his car because the state wouldn't do anything. It's a nightmare when you have to deal with an alcoholic family member. Not only are they responsible but then you're responsible for them too! I know we can't compare apples and oranges, it's a nightmare losing a family member to a drunk driver or any other nonsensical reason. Anyway I appreciate your honesty, it's not an easy thing to discuss.

brandyII

I gotta say I wish they would get tougher on the repeat offenders. I have a brother thats an alcholic/multiple drug user and I watched him get arrested dozens of times for drug & alchol related issues. Only to get a fine and more probation and let go. He finally got jailed for more then just a few days over ... get this.. CHILD SUPPORT!!!

I had an uncle who was a Habitual DUI offender years ago. Taking away his liscence didn't do a darn thing and he got caught multiple times driving without it.

I really wished that they could have gotten both some real help instead of numerious fines & probations. That might work for some. But for the really hardcore addicts they really need a better solution.

I think first offense a minimum year suspension of driver's license. And fines, and classes that give up your entire saturday...for months. I don't think jail time though for first offense. After that though lock them up if they continue that behavior.

Most of the time they are young and stupid. That's not an excuse, but I think it's a cause. Get them off the road until they have grown up enough to handle the responsibility of driving.

I had a friend when I was growing up that had some drinks and drove. He had a wreck and the passanger was killed. This is tragic for everyone involved. In prison, before his trial he hung himself. I couldn't imagine the pain he was in. He was young, never been in trouble, and made a stupid mistake, and someone died. Was he a bad person? Did he belong in prison. No. He had never had a dwi or anything like that before. He thought he was invincible and turned out he wasn't, and two mothers lost their sons.

Where did he get the alcohol? Who served it? Who bought it? I think if you buy underage people liquor, especially if you let them drive afterwards then YOU should be CHARGED.

Where did he get the alcohol? Who served it? Who bought it? I think if you buy underage people liquor, especially if you let them drive afterwards then YOU should be CHARGED.

I so agree with this. We need to make people accountable.

I remember reading a study in on of my theory classes that stated this in order for laws to be effective that had to de three things: 1) be applied immediately after the crime, 2) be harsh, and 2) be guaranteed. After thinking about that for several years and working with offenders myself, I think that's true. Of course, given our justice system and people's right to a "fair trial" those three things will never happen. We may get one, or two but not all three at once.

I used to be under the philosophy of being lighter on first offenses. Sometimes I wonder if by being lighter the offender is thinking it's no big deal and offendes again and again. Why not be real harsh the first offense? Just a thought, still working our kinks. :thumbup:

I have been giving this thread a lot of thought. Whether or not to reply and all of that. But I decided to go ahead and put in my .02.

First off I lost a dear dear friend to a drunk driver, so I know the pain that drunk drivers cause first hand. I think they should be punished fully, swiftly, with no second chances.

Secondly for many years I was a bartender/cocktail waitress and there is a rush to make us accountable for drunk drivers. I think this is completely unfair. Why should I be responsible because some schmuck didn't take my advice and take a cab? I can't legally seize his keys (its called theft people) and I can't stop him from walking out of my bar.

I gave him options, I even offered to give him a voucher (a lot of bars have vouchers for drunks to get home by cab so essentially its a free ride for them) but because he got behind the wheel (I am inside how do I know he drove off eh?) I could be held liable. How is this right? How is this fair for me when I did my best short of tackling him? Most people I see driving off I know have had one to many I do call the cops and give license and car descriptions too. It is what a good bartender/cocktail waitress/bouncer does. But we can't see them all, we can't stop them all, and we can't save them all. So why should I be responsible for some schmuck who wouldn't take our advice and get a cab, walk, or call a friend to come get him?

Sorry but drunk drivers are a sore point for me on so many levels. Especially now that so many cities are trying to hold business's responsible for something someone else CHOSE to do. Drunk driving is a CHOICE no one made that person get behind the wheel, no one held a gun and said drive... it is a CHOICE... but because our PC world is so bloody out of hand and no one knows personal responsibility anymore its the bartenders fault for not stopping him and serving them the drinks .. SCREW THAT... the person CHOSE to drink, he CHOSE to drive, he CHOSE to break the law. It is not my fault the schmuck is a moron.

ahh sorry, guess its a bit more sorer for me then I thought....

When I received my ABO card in Louisiana they made it very clear to me that you shouldn't serve someone who was obviously drunk.

I was more speaking of people who serve or purchase alcohol for someone under 21.

But now that you bring it up, bars should do more to encourage designated drivers. Like free cokes, Water, juice whatever. Being the DD sucks so bars that don't should really consider at least doing that for them.

All the bars I worked for and managed we had a DD program. We had voucher programs also for the 'single' drunk.

You would be surprised how many bars will give the DD free soda's, juice etc.