Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery process; I'm so discouraged.

I am trying to jump through all the hoops. I know they are important hoops and I know they are there for a reason.

But it's so HARD. And it doesn't help that the surgeon's office seems as busy and disorganized as I am.

I am in a really busy work time, I travel a lot, put in a lot of hours. My company is being bought out so it's a time of uncertainty (will I even have a job?) I'm trying to get this surgery done in 2008 because what if my insurance changes and won't cover it in 2009 (IF I have a job)?? Stuff like that.

Well, I'm trying to do it all. I filed the original paperwork with the surgeon's office and they confirmed I am a candidate and said they would request approval from my insurance. In the meantime, I'm supposed to do all this other stuff.

I've already done all the bloodwork, which was time off work. I know I have to see "their" psychologist, nutritionist, etc. but I've called the office TWICE to get the contact info so I can make the appointments and no one calls back.

And I'm also required to go to their orientation. They only have them during the weekday, once per month. The first one I was registered for I ended up having to cancel because I had to go on a business trip. So I wait a month for the next one, take a half day off work, and they left us sitting in a conference room for TWO hours. They couldn't find the doctor, they couldn't find the nurse, etc. etc.

I left so angry, shaking and near tears. How am I going to be able to do this? How can I manage to jump through all these hoops if I can't even count on THEM being responsive and organized? I'm really upset.

I suppose I should switch doctors but, darn it, I chose that surgeon because of his reputation. Should I "fight" with his office to make it happen, or am I going to regret that (my feeling is that I don't want his staff to dislike me - that might not bode well for my care).

This sucks. I'm so discouraged and I don't know how to push this through. Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated.

It seems there are 3 prevalent offices in my area. I researched the surgeon's credentials and all that and this is how I chose the one I chose. One of the other ones seems a bit to "marketing driven" for me. Almost like it's this big money-making scheme for them. Just the vibe I get...

But I think you're right... this office isn't right for me. I don't know exactly where to go to start over, but I suppose I must.

Back to the drawing board. At least all the blood work wasn't done in vein (pun haha). Sigh. I feel like I'll never get this done.

What these surgery centers don't know is that I have been researching and following this procedure and people who have had it (reading articles, blogs, message boards, talking to people who have been through it) for a LONG time. This isn't a spontaneous decision for me, I have educated myself thoroughly on it. Yet I still have to go through their education hoops. I understand why, it's just hard and frustrating to balance this with all the other stuff on my plate.

If you do not want to switch to a new surgeon, I would call back and "befriend" one of the nurses. Then only ask to speak to her when you call.

Get to know them by name and use their name in conversation with them. This helps to build that "friendship" sort of thing and makes you a real person to them rather than potential surgery. Let them know you are there and wanting to get moving and are ready to do anything to make the process move faster. Ask lots of questions (valid and good ones).

All of that will sort of put you on their "radar" and they will be more apt to move things along.

Be sincere and honest with them and hopefully you will see some progress.

I'm in St. Louis. I had chosen Dr. Eagon at Barnes-Jewish.

The one that seems too marketing-drivien is Heart of America Bariatrics, Dr. Van Wagner (sheesh, it even sounds like a soap opera name :lol). I just don't get a good vibe there. I might be pre-judging inaccurately though.

The other one that's been around for a long time is New Start St. Alexius NewStart Bariatric Surgery Center, St. Louis Missouri but I haven't looked into their surgeons yet.

And then there is the practice at Des Peres, Dr. Minkin and Dr. Scott. Bariatric Program (Surgical Weight Loss Management)-Des Peres Hospital-St. Louis, MO I've seen these surgeons reviewed on various sites, but their web site doesn't give as extensive information as I would like.

So if I switch, it's square one again... all the questions and forms and all that.

I'm deliberating if it's worth giving Dr. Eagon's office one more chance. I wonder if the inefficienies I experienced were isolated coincidences or the way they operate. I wish I could find that out. In some of the reviews I've found, people talk about "how busy" the office is, which makes me think maybe that's the norm. :(

Linda, i am going thru new start program here in st louis. I have done all the test psche evaluation and bloodwork prior diet letter fom PCP.

It is quite a process, so now it is just hurry up and weight! LOL

ChaCha

I wish I could just take 1 or 2 days off work and do ALL the appointments right together in a row... all appointments and paperwork. Then I'd just have to wait for a surgery date.

Right now, it seems like tons of phone calls and separate appointments (and each appointment means a 1/2 day off work).

I feel like someone is going to say/think "Well, if you can't even dedicate the time to do this process, then how are you going to deal with the commitment to having the band?" I'm hoping that an occasional fill is all that will be needed after? That seems to be the case with most.

I guess part of my personal problem is that I'm anxious to get this done before my insurance changes and therefore am trying to do all this pre-surgery stuff during a period of time where I'm busier than I EVER have been at work (and, for the record, also a period of time where I'm working hard to make sure I have a JOB in the new company, so I'm scared to push too much for time away during a critical project, etc.)

I am fortunate that my days off are during the week, so can get Drs App done

What kind of insurance, you can get a pre-approval which seems to get them in gear a little faster cause they know you are covered.

Insurance is Aetna and based upon my medical condition (high BP, sleep apnea, BMI, plus 100 lbs overweight) the information I have says it is COVERED.

I went to the seminar and they gave me info and paperwork of everything I needed to to give them to submit to insurance, which I finally finished yesterday.It will all be submitted to them than they get me in to see the surgeon, who is Dr Follwell.

Well, I've just begun my journey too and I'm throughly disgusted with the company I work for and our insurance coverage. I've talked with one lady at work who had bypass 2 years ago with much success. She said she finally gave up and paid 100% of the surgery just to get it done. Our insurance is BC/BS but it will only pay 5 thous due to my employer's mandated restrictions on WLS. My friend said they make you go through test after test after test only to ask for more tests until they wear you down and you give up. To make matters worse one elder at work thinks this is taking the easy way out laughed at me when she heard us talking about this matter (we thought) privately in the restroom. :thumbup::( I am more determined than ever but had to vent. Has anyone's insurance company done this to you? What did you do? Now my family is saying maybe I should try Jenny or Nutrasystem just to lose the weight. geez, they don't get it either. My whole life has been up and down weight wise. I'm sick of this life.

You Know losing the weight is not my main problem, It is keeping it off! Which is the problem for me.I have done jenny C 49 lbs only to gain it back, weight watchers 63 lbs only to gain it back. I think the Band will keep me from gaining all back. They do want alot of tests which is why going to the seminar really helped me. They gave step by step info on what you needed for submission to Insurance.I have BCBS NJ which coevers 100% but the Pysch Eval was out of pocket $140.00 They even gave a list of the Pysch Drs they work with, this info made everything so much easier. I am hoping for a date end of june or July

Linda I also have Aetna, It took me 6 months to get approved. I started in Jan with Dr. visit, then they psy and dietian, I had to have documated excerise program so I did curves for 3 months. I also trave for my work so this was all very hard to schedule and expensive. Plus I didn't want to tell my employer what I was doing. So, I can relate to what you have been going thru. My dr called Friday said Aetna had approved me 100%. I go to the caridlogist Monday if I check out ok, I go on Wednesday for my pre-op and banded on Friday the 6th. Hopefully it will work out like that for you too. Aetna, has a lot of pre-req but they cover good.

I also got frustrated with my Dr. office they seemed disorganized. So on my next apportment I talked to the Dr. and told him how I felt. Of course 3 weeks later I got approved. I think part of the problem is so many people are in the same boat and looking for help. When we go to the Dr. office it is a big step for us and we are ready right then. Nearly all of us have already done our research, we have committed. But, like you said we have to jump thru the hoops.

Good luck to you whichever path you take.

I would shop around some more. My surgeons office was able to complete all preop testing including the psych and EGD in 2 appointments. These took several hours each time but it was done and over with after that which was great for me because I lived out of state. Good luck with the process!

I guess I was very lucky in that my endocrinologist recommended me for the surgery, and I had two different physicians do referrals. They recommended my physician, and I didn't have many of the problems a lot of you have had.

I hate that you're going through all of this, but I do highly recommend that you do a little more shopping around.

I know you're frustrated and I understand your reasoning behind trying to get it done now. Don't give up. Don't let them discourage you.