Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regroup-Refresh-Revive (Dadebru)

This is a bit long but I need to put it in print.....

I have been lurking in the shadows reading every post on band complications and all the stuff that can and does go wrong. The reason for this is that I have not lost a pound in almost a year and for the last 6 months I have had this funky at times horrible pain in my stomach, I get raging headaches and I feel like general crud 90% of the time. I kept thinking what is wrong with my band why isn't it working. Then the other day I had an epiphany....ok it was really a reflection on a conversation with Dr. Billy, but it got me back on track....he said that the band is just a tool, it isn't a magic bullet, but just a simple tool that I can choose to use or not. So I sat down and really thought about my pain, my lack of weight loss and my feeling of overall icky.

Here is what I came up with...I'm not using my tool right. My issue isn't with my band but in my head. Bummer!!

So here is what I have to work on.....

I have plenty of restiction but eat until I am FULL thus giving myself a tummy ache because i'm eating myself sick...fortunately for the restriction I can't eat tons or I would be back where I was when I started this venture. So back to measuring my portions, using my small plate and fork I go. Also, knowing when I am "almost" full.

I'm not chewing as well as I should...bad bad me!

I'm allergic to wheat and corn so "um hello" the nachos, sandwiches and pizza need to stop effective immediately. buh bye headaches!

Soda... I was drinking Diet Pepsi heard it was bad so moved to regular Coke....Sad but true this has been my path :(

Alcohol...margaritas are my true weekness....i'm going to limit myself to one a week on Sundays when we bbq.

Visiting lapband talk....I stopped...it's like not talking to that good friend that helps keep you on track....stop smacking me upside the head..I am back and yes I will listen!

I am putting myself on a quasi-first month diet...back to soft foods, lots of protien shakes and the like and i'm going to give my tummy a few weeks to heal from the mess I am sure I made of it. And for the record I started 2 days ago and have already lost 2 lbs and feel so much better!

Whatever my excuse is work, stress, family issues etc....I lost track of the whole point and reverted back to my old ways. I am just thankfull I realized it before I made myself sick!

Thanks for listening and hopefully I stop "struggling" and move forward!

Just curious but if you were at a good restriction than how did you avoid vomiting or pbing when you overate? Or was the overeating the slider foods?

It can be just as hard after the surgery as it was before the surgery for a lot of us but it sounds like you've got your head on straight now and good luck to you. We're all different and when you find what works for you then you can start losing again, good luck brandyII!

Thanks for sharing Skye, I've done the same thing in the last few months... not every day but enough to stop me losing more. I finally got back on track a couple of weeks ago and have started losing again. Good on you for making the choice to start again.

brandyII...I didn't vomit much just get a horrid pain in my belly. I wasn't eating too much at one time it was more of a constant noshing never really giving my tummy time to just relax. And, when I would over eat, I would also drink, I didn't realize until about 2 weeks ago I was actually doing it unconciouslly and now have to make a point of emptying my glass before dinner is even started. I did PB a few times and slimed quite regularly. I didn't start sliming until about 6-7 months ago....you would of thought that this would of been a warning sign to me but unfortunately I would blame it on something else...stress of the day, bad food, what ever. One of the worst things for me was my job! Up until in recent weeks I was a manager for a very busy restaurant here in town. I worked 50+ hours a week going non-stop so I was eating such bad food and all the time.

Sades....great job on getting back on track! Just doing what I have done I lost 4lbs this week. I just keep shaking my head and realizing what a mistake I made. Good for you and keep up the great work!

Good on you on the 4 lb loss Skye... feels good, doesn't it ! :thumbup: I still need to push myself a little harder. I haven't been on my walk for 3 days as it's been raining in Sydney which isn't helping but I'm going tomorrow morning, rain, hail or shine.

I thought I was the only one struggling after the lapband until I finally did some research on this website! I was banded 6 months ago. My weight when I was banded was 193, and right off the bat I lost 10lbs. However, the last 5 months I have been up and down from 179 to 185. The Doctor says that its going to take me a while to lose weight because I started out smaller than most lap band patients but I knew deep down I wasn't doing everything in my power to lose weight. After reading this chain of conversations it has reminded me that this band is just a TOOL! Too bad there aren't any quick fixes huh? haha So I think I may take Sades idea and start over with Protein shakes... I'm ready to lose some weight! I guess the doctors do know what they are talking about when they say we should keep up with this website and explore. Thanks everyone for sharing what you are going through! :thumbup:

Just curious but if you were at a good restriction than how did you avoid vomiting or pbing when you overate? Or was the overeating the slider foods?quote]

Really, every time you eat till full and everytime you eat when you are not really hungry, you are overeating. Bandsters need to learn to stop before full. If you're relying on restriction to stop you, you're on the wrong track. Restriction HELPS you by allowing you to stop but not feel starving ten minutes later.

Magic restriction isnt being able to eat 1/2 cup and feel "full", its about eating to satisfied which will be an amount at which you lose weight well - might be 1/2 cup for some, 1 cup for others.

Overeating doesnt necessarily mean eating yourself sick till you slime or PB, it means eating more than you strictly need.

Good on you Skyeblu, I hope your recommitment has great results.

There is a great book out there (or so I think) it's a really easy read "The Success Habits of Weight-Loss Surgery Patients" by Colleen M. Cook I read it just after my surgery and it was full of good information, now being 2 years post banding it is full of GREAT information. It was written by a woman that is about 13 years post surgery and has information and research from docs that have been doing bariatric surgery for up to 3 decades.

I'm doing the "pouch size test" from the book, tomorrow just to see where I really stand on how much I should be eating portion wise, they say if your pouch is 5.5 to 9 oz you are in a good area for weight loss. When I pay attention to what is going in my mouth I'm pretty good at guaging when I am "almost" full.

This is my first posting. I have lurked for over two years. I had my lap band surgery May 2006. I was self pay. It took almost a year and four fills to even get any restriction. I wasn't agressive enough--I didn't know what I should be feeling and my doctor wasn't much help.So last summer I started loosing weight--slowly. I went down thirty pounds and was feeling pretty good about myself. In the fall of 2007 We found out my Dad had lung cancer. I was a heavy smoker, a pack and a half a day. How could I support my Dad while I was puffing away. I went to my doctor and I got a perscription for Chantix. I battled back and forth on smoking -- but it has been over two months since I had a single puff. I weaned myself off the Chantix. I recently had the courage to get back on the scale. I've gained back my thirty pounds. So here I am , two years post surgery, right back where I started BUT I AM SMOKE FREE.

I resolve to get back to basics. I will go back to the liqid diet for one week and just start over. I will stop lurking. Hell, I stopped smoking. I can do anything.

Queen V

Good on you Queen V, glad you got the courage to start posting. Sorry about your dad and your weight gain. It's never too late to start again. You will get the support you need on here. Good luck!

QueenV,

Congrats on quitting smoking, that's a definite plus on the healthy side:thumbup:

Its great to see you both back on the path to success. This battle is one that you both can conquer.

Skye, what kind of exercise are you doing?

Your have started my epipheny also. You have stated where I am and given me some inspiration. I am going tot ry to get my hands on some good reading and get back tos ome basics. It has been so long since I had it; not sure I have all the materials I need, but am on a seek and find mission to see what I should be doing, not how I can manipulate and wonder why not any more loss for me? thanks.

Hi Skyeblu,

After reading your post I ordered THE SUCCESS HABITS OF WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY PATIENTS by Colleen Cook. Where was this book two years ago when I was starting out? My doctor gave me a copy of WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY FOR DUMMIES. I knew most of the band post-op rules, but I had no ideas why they were rules. With such little understanding I never followed the rules with any consistency. I am so damn lucky that I had a Lap band procedure. I can get back on track! This book explains everything. Thank you so much for that suggestion. Tomorrow is my 55th birthday. I'm having the cottage cheese test for Breakfast.

QueenV

This is a bit long but I need to put it in print.....

I have been lurking in the shadows reading every post on band complications and all the stuff that can and does go wrong. The reason for this is that I have not lost a pound in almost a year and for the last 6 months I have had this funky at times horrible pain in my stomach, I get raging headaches and I feel like general crud 90% of the time. I kept thinking what is wrong with my band why isn't it working. Then the other day I had an epiphany....ok it was really a reflection on a conversation with Dr. Billy, but it got me back on track....he said that the band is just a tool, it isn't a magic bullet, but just a simple tool that I can choose to use or not. So I sat down and really thought about my pain, my lack of weight loss and my feeling of overall icky.

Here is what I came up with...I'm not using my tool right. My issue isn't with my band but in my head. Bummer!!

So here is what I have to work on.....

I have plenty of restiction but eat until I am FULL thus giving myself a tummy ache because i'm eating myself sick...fortunately for the restriction I can't eat tons or I would be back where I was when I started this venture. So back to measuring my portions, using my small plate and fork I go. Also, knowing when I am "almost" full.

I'm not chewing as well as I should...bad bad me!

I'm allergic to wheat and corn so "um hello" the nachos, sandwiches and pizza need to stop effective immediately. buh bye headaches!

Soda... I was drinking Diet Pepsi heard it was bad so moved to regular Coke....Sad but true this has been my path :thumbup:

Alcohol...margaritas are my true weekness....i'm going to limit myself to one a week on Sundays when we bbq.

Visiting lapband talk....I stopped...it's like not talking to that good friend that helps keep you on track....stop smacking me upside the head..I am back and yes I will listen!

I am putting myself on a quasi-first month diet...back to soft foods, lots of protien shakes and the like and i'm going to give my tummy a few weeks to heal from the mess I am sure I made of it. And for the record I started 2 days ago and have already lost 2 lbs and feel so much better!

Whatever my excuse is work, stress, family issues etc....I lost track of the whole point and reverted back to my old ways. I am just thankfull I realized it before I made myself sick!

Thanks for listening and hopefully I stop "struggling" and move forward!

what you wrote is exactly how I hqve been feeling and even with the same "ideas" of what I now have to do to get back on track. Good to hear you have already lost 2 with the changes..I am definately going to do the same..keep it up..and good luck..