Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good anti-nausea meds???

Hey everyone, I just got my band on Thursday and while I was in the hospital I was contantly being pumped with anti-nausea meds. I know that with the band, vomiting can severly damage it and possibly cause slippage. Does anyone know of any good meds I can take to quickly prevent nausea if I feel it coming on??? I have been known to get sick a lot and I don't see my surgeon for two weeks. Thanks I would appreciate any tips!

Allison

I had surgery on Wednesday. My dr. sent me home with phenergan. It has really helped. I'm sure your doctor can call it in for you.

If you look at the OTC anti-nausea meds, it's basically sugar Syrup of some sort. Like Coke syrup. (isn't Dramamine more of a motion sickness med?) It's sugar, but a small amount might work to keep nausea down. I had at least two friends who sucked on hard candy during their first trimester of pregnancy and said that worked wonders at keeping the nausea at bay. (like Jolly Ranchers or butterscotches)

Like others suggested though, you might be better off just asking the doc for a prescription. That'd be calorie-free. :(

If your Dr. can call a prescription in for you, my Dr. gave me Reglan at first, then Ondandseton (expensive, but it's the big gun for nausea) when the Reglan didn't work.

I caught the flu right after my surgery and got dehydrated too--so the Rx anti-nausea stuff was absolutely key. Good luck and best of health wishes!

Ginger is really good for nausea. Have some ginger tea or get some hard ginger candy (remember just 1 or 2) your taking it for the ginger not the sugar! They also have acupressure bands you wear on your wrists that work really well. They have a little bead that puts pressure on a point on the wrist that helps nausea. You should be able to find them a most pharmacies. Good luck, you probably won't need much of this anyway, the nausea could just be from the anesthesia.

Sally

I'd call and ask for Phenergan suppositories. I had some on hand and had to use one on my 3rd post-op night and again one week post-op. I think they would be good to keep on hand in case I get sick with vomitting at some time. Over the counter you can use Dramamine. It is for motion sickness / nausea. Good luck!

For anti nasuae I keep a script on hand for generic phenergan which is called promethazine, you get about 20 pills and you can crush them, work quickly they are cheaper than the name brand and they are good for over a year. I think you can get the generic on walmarts 4.00 generic list now. The suppositories work but you don't get as many, they can melt if not kept in a cool place and they expire much faster.

Also, Benedryl which you can get in liquid over the counter works very well, for children and adults. I also second the idea on Ginger tea and I use camomile mint tea if it is mild nasuea.

I also will soak a cotton ball with alcohol squeeze out, and hold under nose, (careful around eyes) and breath slowly like in the hospital til it passes.

Lastly, this winter I went to visit my daughters family who was in the mist of "flu" and on Tamiflu, so my Dr gave me a script to take with me just in case I started with symptoms, I filled it Luckily I didn't need it, but It is good til end of next winter. I used it last winter when I had it and it kept me from getting the worst of the flu, so if you think your getting the actually flu,, get in and get Tamiflu .

Hi Allison:

Last August I got stuck bad with tuna salad. I had to go to Norwood Hospital because I was stuck and had severe shoulder pain. Dr. Arthur Glasgow wanted me to go and have my band checked. Because I was hurling so much the doctor prescribed metoclopramide for the nausea.

With my gallbladder surgery Dr. Glasgow prescribed Compazine suppositories. I know suppositories seem gross, but if you're already hurling then they work the best because you can't throw them up. I only had to take one because the nausea wasn't bad with the gallbladder.

You should call the Glasgows and they can call in a script for you.

Take care.

Sue

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! I'm probably going to call my doctor on Monday and see what he can give to me. I'm just so paranoid about hurting my new band right now I want to make sure I'm prepared for everything! Thanks again!

Ask for a Rx for Zofran PO. You put the pill under your tongue and it instantly dissolves.... expensive!

At Toys R Us(maybe others places) they have these suckers called "Preggy Pops." They are suppose to help with nausea. I've heard they really work. It was funny to hear someone say reglan. That is what they give my dogs when I have to take them and pick them up from the vet. They get car sick really bad. I guess it's a regular drug for people, but it was funny reading about it and knowing that my dogs take it/ LOL Susan:laugh:

I suffered a lot of being lightheaded and nauseous for about three weeks after getting banded. I don't know why, but it seemed to hit me right as I was getting out of the shower in the morning. My surgeon sent me home with a prescription for Zofran and it worked wonderfully, usually within a few minutes the feeling would pass.

I called and my doctor gave me the suppositories Sue reccommended, most likely because we have the same doctor lol. I'm experiencing a lot of lightheadedness, weakness and dizzyness right now, not so much nausea anymore. I just can't seem to win. I'm just resting in bed now, I think I might have done a little too much walking around and exzerting myself today. Thanks for all the tips!

My surgeon sent me home with an anti-nausea patch behind my ear. It was good for several days. It worked great. My son uses them for motion sickness. I agree with the warm ginger tea. I also use warm peppermint tea, which are both a good clear liquid while you are on liquids post surgery.