Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is up with no caffeine?

My nutri said I needed to cut out ALL forms of caffeine starting now before the surgery.

What exactly are the effects from it? good or bad.

I was told that caffeine can dehydrate you. I don't know why it would matter before the surgery, but it could be an issue after since it's sometimes hard to get all your Water in.

I was also told it could dehydrate you and that is more of an issue after surgery since you can only take in so much liquid. They probably want you to get off of caffeine before surgery so you don't go into withdrawal.

I was told that it is the acid in any type of coffee bean that can erode the band. Everyone gets a different answer. Be well.

Fran

Can't go to the bathroom without it, so giving it up is not an option. I drink more Water if I have to. Sad but true.

Both my doctor and my nutritionist said coffee was fine, a cup or two a day. Plus, let's face it, if I was able to do everything my nutritionist said I never would have needed a band in the first place.

Before Surgery

I was never told to give up caffeine before surgery. I drank an average of 2 cups of coffee daily before surgery and probably at least 4 caffeinated sugar-free sodas a day. The night before surgery I stopped eating and drinking everything except for Water. By the time I got to the hospital the next morning I had a terrible, pounding headache. It was caffeine withdrawal and there was nothing I could do but suffer with it. I couldn't drink additional caffeine, I couldnt take any advil, nothing but grin and bear it for hours. After surgery I didn't notice a headache, but I was on pain meds so maybe that is why.

I should have known better but in all honesty I never thought about it. I wish someone would have mentioned it to me and it would have made an already difficult day a little less trying.

After Surgery

I probably did not drink a single cup of coffee before 6-8 weeks after banding. I no longer drink any carbonated beverages such as soda. My husband strongly suggested that I should give up the coffee because of the caffeine. I really didn't think it was necessary as long as I get an offset of Water in. I drink one extra cup of water above the 64 oz's to offset a cup of coffee and it seems to work ok. I drink a cup of coffee every day.

Because it was a subject of discussion for us, we brought it up at the last fill appointment. The doctor said it is good to make sure that I am not overdoing the caffeine. However, coffee is considered a "free" food in that as long as I am not putting sugar or undue amounts of cream inside there is no reason why I should not have 1-2 cups a day if I so desire. The most important thing is to make sure I am getting all my water in for the day (and coffee does not count as water) and to make sure I am not overdoing the caffeine.

. . . and would you believe my husband still says I should give up coffee. There are so many different opinions but for me, I feel it is like anything else . . . used with caution and in moderation without sugar is ok.

Edited by HeatherO

My nutritionist also said that caffeine is an appetite stimulant and that is why they wanted me to switch to Decaf tea.

I quit Diet Pepsi a month ago and switched to unsweetened tea. Last week, I quit caffeine all together and started drinking decaf tea.

Caffeine is a gastric irritant. While you are healing, you don't want anything irritating your GI system. Also part of the same reason I was told no soda or carbonated beverages for several weeks after surgery.

Caffeine is acidic. It can contribute to the formation of ulcers in your stomach. The band itself cannot erode as it is on the outside of your stomach. It's the interior lining of the stomach that the doctor's are concerned with. The caffeinated drink would not sit on/in the band area as it should be draining straight through (assuming it's a thin liquid). Avoiding caffeine, NSAIDS/Aspirin products are precautions for erosions/ulcers.

Caffeine also can dehydrate you as someone mentioned. With the band we are limited to not eating with our meals and are restricted to a certain time frame before and after so getting enough fluids in (preferably water) is an issue for banders. They (doctors and nutritionists) want you to get as much quality food and drink as possible in the small windows we have.

Caffeine in large amounts is also an appetite stimulant as mentioned. It can also cause you to feel sluggish. The first cup or two is fine, it's the caffeine you consume in addition that can have an opposite effects on you.

It's best to be avoided. Some doctors say never have it again, others say in moderation. I think they want people to go off of it all together to avoid the temptation and because you are more likely to choose Water which is better for you anyway.

All the best

~C

Also caffiene is a stimulant. If you have any blood pressure issues it can increase your heartbeats per minute and help you retain Water at the same time adding to the chance of dehydration thus rasing your blood pressure. Caffiene is notorius for making you urinate more at the same time which is it can cause dehydration. At least this is how my cardioligist explained it.

Most likely many doctors say no caffiene right before/after surgery because:

1. you just had surgery or will be soon and recovery is already hard on the body. You dont really want to add MORE withdrawl symptoms to an already hard process of surgery & recovery.

2. your probably NOT going to want to or be able to consume as many fluids as you did before surgery till the swelling subsides, so the dehydration/diuretic effect may be worse then before. Good hydration also helps with the healing process. Being dehydrated can cause headaches/dizzyness and all sort of other messed up feelings you dont want to add to your recovery pains.

You can ask your doctor about decafinated coffee if you just cant live without it. I know my cardioligist said no to decafinated also. But thats just his opion. He said some are ok with decafinated some aren't.

Personally I would try to get that addiction broke and over with BEFORE surgery just to make it easier on you if you have to do a pre-op liquid diet. So as to not add the withdrawl symptoms to everything else.

I find the coffee one the hardest of all so far. I gave up sodas for the most part (only when out and don't have better options) And don't miss it all. Now most of the time if i have to get a soda it just don't taste right.

Coffee I haven't been able to lose yet. I still have 2-32 oz mugs a day. But its down from 4-6 mugs per day at least. Soon I'm gonna switch to Decaf which I KNOW is gonna be hard. But I don't wanna have to give up everything at once. lol since somewhere along the line I'm gonna give up ciggarettes too.

I am actually looking forward to getting rid of all these addictions before surgery. And starting over with a *clean slate* of sorts.

Then maybe afterwards I can be able to enjoy a normal cup instead of huge mugs, every so often without feeling like i have to have it constantly.

Can't go to the bathroom without it, so giving it up is not an option. I drink more Water if I have to. Sad but true.

Aubrie, have you ever tried hot Water with a little lemon? I haven't tried it, but I hear it works. No caffeine, and you'd get a little Vitamin C. If you try it, please report back. (Specific details about your results are not required. :()