Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

string hanging out of port incision

Ok it's a tiny piece string sticking out of the port incision at the corner.

I have tried to pull it and it's grown into my skin. I was banded 4/11/08. I haven't been back to dr. at all. no fills no calls notta. I am going to call monday for fill hopefully I can get in thursday this is the only day they do them. I have lost 34lbs I am hoping they will even fill me.

Does anyone else have string issue? Probably not, huh? This would be my luck.

My guess is that it is an internal suture working its way out. I had them doing that for months after I had surgery on my leg. Your body "should" continue to work it out. Some come out. Some don't.

Not an issue. When I went in for my first fill they saw my string sticking out and pulled it. I hated having that thing stick out. It tickled. Anyway do not fret, they will take care of it at your fill.

AP

I had one by the port incision and belly button incision. I went in for my first fill yesterday and mentioned it - they just snipped it - I said could I have just left it and the nurse said yep, it would eventually just wear down... I wouldn't pull it incase it is stiched inside.. just get a pair of scissors or small nail nips and clip it.. don't clip your skin - ouch!

I had the same thing. The suture they use is absorbable - meaning - it will eventually breakdown and fall out but it took over a month, and then one day I gave it a very gentle tug and it detached.

My doctor saw it and said not to worry, it will fall off.

Snip it if it bothers you. Call your doctor if it drains pus or becomes red.

I had the same thing. The suture they use is absorbable - meaning - it will eventually breakdown and fall out but it took over a month, and then one day I gave it a very gentle tug and it detached.

My doctor saw it and said not to worry, it will fall off.

Snip it if it bothers you. Call your doctor if it drains pus or becomes red.

I'm wondering if I have a small bit of same. On one of my incisions there's like a little-----almost a skin tag. Its hard and round like a piece of Kosher salt. I wouldn't care but when my bra hits it, it makes it pull. I noticed same thing on my port scar. I was thinking it was a bit of glue left over.....but does this sound like what you're discussing?

I'm going for first fill on the 4th so I'll show it to Dr. then.

Gwenn

Hi -

I've heard some doctors use the glue to close the skin instead of stitches. It could certainly be this glue that you're seeing - it's like superglue for skin.

Eventually it falls off...or you can pick it off once it become loose. You can cover with a little band-aid if it gets caught on things.

I think that's exactly what it is, Lizalee. Like a bit of glue. I have it covered with a little bandaid under the breast and the one on the port scar isn't in as bad a spot, so I'm ignoring it. I'll ask the surgeon about it when I go for my fill on Wednesday. I'd rather he clip them, than I. I keep hoping the skin under the breast will just grow over it as it's in a little opening (another reason not to touch it). But I'll deal with it on Wed.

Thanks- you make good sense.

Gwenn

I had the suture thingt too. In my port incision. I also had it before when I had my gallbladder removed. I didnt know what it was back then. Kinda freaked me out when I seen a string sticking outta my belly button and when i tugged on it I could feel it pulling on my muscles inside. I just gave it time and it dissolved inside and eventually came out one day when I tugged on it. When I seen it on my port incision I just kept lightly tugging on it till it dissolved enough on the inside to release it. The only thing is the incision wont heal over it atleast mine wont so I still have a small spot on my port incision that is healing