Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have any Aussies had a band for 2+ years?

I got my band done in September 2005 by Miss Wendy Brown at the Avenue Hospital in Melbourne.

I lost 35kg (two thirds of my excess weight) fairly easily within 10 months. I stayed at that weight without much trouble until October 2007, when I copped some serious stress at both work and home.

True to form, I turned to comfort food to get me through. Unfortunately, icecream, chocolate and cheesecake go through the band just fine. To my horror, I've regained almost 13kg.

I'm keen to know if it is common to backslide after living with the band for a couple of years and how other people manage to get back on track afterwards.

I got banded in oct 05 and have maintained my weight for the last yr or so, well i have gained a cpl of kilos here and there but have lost it again.

Im going back in to have another band as this one has slipped and formed another pouch (woteva that means) i dont really understand this pouch thing.

I feel thats its harder to get the rest of the weight off as i only have 10kg to get to my goal weight.

Hi, i have been banded 6 years...7 in November. I got to goal and have kept it off. I did go through that stage where i got too comfortable with the 'new' me and ate like a pig...i gained 7kgs but during that time i also wasnt getting fills. I realised that even though you have lost so much you have to keep getting fills because the fill does evaporate slowly over the months.

I found i have a leak now but it is easily fixed and im losing weight again because i made the choice to lose a bit more, it has to be a concious choice.

The thing that gets me through that time when i want to binge is my before pics, remembering what it felt like to be so huge and unhappy....i still have bad days but i even them out with exercise and good days. I realised i love my life now and i cant go back to that place. Good luck to you and keep us posted! I would get a fill and see your doctor or GP monthly for weigh ins (trust me it helps keep you accountable) even now i see my Doc every 2 months for a slight top up and to get weighed.

Thanks for your replies Bel and Fee. It is really encouraging to hear that you have both managed to keep your weight off for so long.

I must admit I have been pretty erratic with the fills over the past year, so the advice about regular appointments makes a lot of sense.

Aussie 40 - I am your twin, i could so easily have been me writing your post. I was banded at the avenue and lost most i the first 10 months, now hitting the bad foods, yes ice cream chocolate and cheesecake are also my downfall along with ice coffee. I dont feel I can have any more fill and have cancelled an appt for tomorrow cos I know I have gained. need to really get motivated somehow but dont know how to get back on track.

Hi TaraJane

I have also cancelled several appointments recently. Its just so humiliating having to get on those scales and have the nurse record the weight gain.

I actually gathered up my courage and went back for a fill in April. Unfortunately, I got too much put in and I basically couldnt eat any solids. I lost 4 kilos in two weeks but it was so horrible, I had to get the band loosened again. Of course, I've regained the 4 kilos and now I'm nervous about getting a refill as well as embarrased about the weight gain.

Do you want to support each other in making a commitment to go back for a fill within the next month (no matter what the scales say)? I'm game, if you are.

hi got my band done in Melbourne in Feb 02before banding was 104kgs now at 68.3 kgs but having trouble with reflux and heartburn have got no fill in have not had for 2 weeks and till have trouble with what ever i eat with the heartburn they think i could have a slip hope that is all it is:thumbup:

3 Year's up on July 27th 2008 :rolleyes2:

162.9Kg then, 92 Now :thumbup: Goal 82....

I haven't had surgery yet, but what I'm becoming more and more aware of is the amount of life change I'm going to have to do. Not just what I eat and drink and if I exercise or not, but my mental attitude, my thinking processes, how I cope with stress, etc.

Getting the band and losing the weight is just the physical side of things, how you cope with things that come up in life is the emotional/psychological. No band can fix that. That's the hard work we have to do that most people don't think about. I have yet to talk to the psychologist pre-surgery, but this is definitely something I will be raising.

I got my band done in September 2005 by Miss Wendy Brown at the Avenue Hospital in Melbourne.

I lost 35kg (two thirds of my excess weight) fairly easily within 10 months. I stayed at that weight without much trouble until October 2007, when I copped some serious stress at both work and home.

True to form, I turned to comfort food to get me through. Unfortunately, icecream, chocolate and cheesecake go through the band just fine. To my horror, I've regained almost 13kg.

I'm keen to know if it is common to backslide after living with the band for a couple of years and how other people manage to get back on track afterwards.

I don't know how common it is for people to have a backslide after a few years, I haven't, nor do I personally know any who have, but it appears to be fairly common on the online community... So I really don't know what the stats are. But you have a good idea of what made you regain the weight, so that is a great starting point in getting back on track.

Best of luck to you.

Well Sunwyse, Kate has her ups and downs with the band. She is typical of a bander who has not addressed whats going on in her head. She successfully got down to a size 10 from being 25 stone. But time went on and she found she could pig out so her weight went up and down over the years. She actually is the reason I didn't want to be banded as I thought that everytime you ate, you vomited because through my experience with her, thats what happened. However, since then I have now realized that I don't have the same head issues as her and that I can actually follow rules without a hassle. So thats why in 4 weeks I will be banded. She is still, managing the band going thru stages of being filled and unfilled. I feel it would not be terribly healthy for your body to go through what she does to hers.