Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No nonsense approach to weight loss

Bells and whistles aren't my thing.

Think you need to buy powders, diet foods, a gym membership? Think you need to count calories, measure food, etc? I surely won't be of any help to you.

But, you want to allow the lapband to assist you in losing weight.... I'll help out how I can.

Bells and whistles aren't my thing.

Think you need to buy powders, diet foods, a gym membership? Think you need to count calories, measure food, etc? I surely won't be of any help to you.

But, you want to allow the lapband to assist you in losing weight.... I'll help out how I can.

I LOVE IT Grace . You sound like me !!!

Awesome !!

:tt2::lol::thumbup:

Mindy

Hey VegasGrace, I want your help! Unless of course you really believe we DO need all of the above. I don't believe we do. Less food with the help of restriction and some excercise - that is my Doc's advice!

VegasGrace,

I love your post!! I have a lot to lose and would love your help! You have done incredibly well!

I've been flamed many times in chat or with a post....some just feel that me saying I don't use Protein powders....or diet foods....or go to a gym....or count calories....or go on a diet....is so wrong.

Look, it's simple.

Get the band.

Get the adjustments.

Get restriction.

Get a reality check.

Get smaller clothes.

Get real.

Get the band. Won't work if you don't have it. Plus, the band makes the most common sense. Cut off the pipes and you'll lose the weight...not a maybe...but will.

Get the adjustments. Won't work if you don't get adjustments. Decide on a fill doc before surgery. Make sure you see 'em at 6 weeks and every 4 weeks after. Don't need a followup...cancel. But always make sure you have the appointment every 4 weeks til YOU decide you've got restriction.

Get restriction. Don't be a baby! You are going to have to cut down on the quantity of food - that's the point of the lapband system. Don't want to cut down on the amount of food - don't get the lapband. So what if you slime from time to time....it's all a learning process and you need to allow yourself time to re-learn how to eat. But this isn't saying that if you vomit that you shouldn't see your doc, quite the contrary. Vomiting isn't good. But sliming, as long as you are in the process of re-learning how to eat...it's a tool.

Get a reality check. This time to relearn how to eat is crucial. Eat a few bites and walk away from your food - it will always be there...you don't need it all now. Want something sweet- have it. But only a bite or two. If you can say..."nah, I'll skip that"...you are already on the right track. This is about choices. It's not easy during this time. I remember thinking I was going to DIE because I was so weak from not eating (massive amounts of food). Your body will go through withdrawal symptoms....you can bet on that. But you prevail! And remember, it's not forever. If you are hungry...eat!

Get smaller clothes when you reach goal....it's a motivator as well when you walk around in potatoe sacks...makes you want to go faster.

Get real. You know how you got fat, you now KNOW it doesn't take much food to fuel the human body. You now are amazed at the difference in the amount of foods you eat. You go to a buffet with your family, you get a teaspoon of everything...a sampling if you will. And you are so satisfied to finally 'taste' something...instead of inhailing. Keep your scales, pay attention to your new clothing. Weigh weekly, then every two weeks. But step on those scales at least 2x a month. And if you see weight gain, or your clothing getting tighter.... modify your diet. Maybe that soda pop put you over the edge...or you found you ate 2 pieces of your mom's sweetpotatoe pie. No worries, just modify things. Your new life is about nutrition, not dieting. Ensure you get the fuel to run your body like a well oiled machine.

YOU GO SISTER !!! My philosphy EXACTLY ... You just put it much better than I !!!!

Can i copy that for future use ... ?? I"ll give ya credit LMAO

Cause that is GOOD !

Mindy

Good on you grace, I would offer but I suspect my no bullshit approach to exercise and weight loss would be a little harsh for a few people, lol.

And if you talk to me about Protein shakes, I'll cyberslap you!

On the whole, its probably best if I keep my weight loss secrets tomyself.

Great post VegasGrace! I love it! I am going to print it and hang it on my fridge.

Jachut - Please post you no bs excersise approach!! If people don't like it they don't have to follow it!

I just KNEW I was going to get banned from the forum for saying that.

Whew! Thanks guys....you made my day.

Now getting to change the ticker to 137 lbs. (in the process of moving and haven't had a chance to eat a decent meal...living off sodapop to keep my calories and energy up)

But we all know that everyone is different. And sometimes it isn't easy saying goodbye to food, afterall....it's been with us 10/20 or even 30+ years. It was always reliable...and now we have to turn our back on it....hard to do!

And from time to time problems can arise...your doc is your best ally.

So, post questions- I'll answer, or if you want to check on your game plan- I'll help you tweak it.

I'll share with you what I've learned.

But frankly, I learned a long time ago if you want to achieve something...find someone else who did....copy what they did. May not work, but find someone else....eventually you will succeed!

Oh, before someone makes a bad comment about my sodapop....

sometimes things happen in life. Death, divorce, moving...you name the stressor!

You gotta do whatcha gotta do. I don't live off sodapop as a rule. But driving trucks, getting 3 kids settled...oh, I'm a single parent so I have absolutely no help from anyone except the Lord...but that makes the difference.

If something tragic happens, you go ahead and eat. But the best part about the band is while you feel like you are binging....take a peak at that bag of potatoe chips when you are done....you didn't eat but a third.....not the entire bag. Yet you feel you binged. But did you? Really? Nope, not a bit.

Got tragedies all the time, get a therapist! That once in a blue moon binge won't hurt anything but this is about nutrition, and relearning how to eat. Old bad habits can sneak up on you and rob you of your life. Don't let them!

Grace, Thanks for all of your information. Laying it all out on the table is something I needed to hear. My doctor pushes Protein shakes. I am so sick of them I think I might open everyone and dump. The problem for me is that I feel sick when I eat meat. But I don't want to live on packaged modified foods. I want to live on whole foods. Maybe you can offer advice in this area. Should I just blend it all together :cursing:

Keep offering your advice. There are more of us out here looking for no nonsense than you might think.

Thanks for keeping it real!

Jen

Good on you grace, I would offer but I suspect my no bullshit approach to exercise and weight loss would be a little harsh for a few people, lol.

And if you talk to me about Protein shakes, I'll cyberslap you!

On the whole, its probably best if I keep my weight loss secrets tomyself.

Sorry Grace, don't mean to hijack..

Jachut, I appreciate your approach. What's wrong with sharing? I can only speak for myself but the no B.S. approach needs to be thrown in there also

Vegasgrace, I LOVE your 6 'G's. I am going to print a couple of copies and have one at work and one at home. This makes sense to me. So glad you started this thread. I was banded on April 25th and have only lost 10 lbs and that was from preop. I eat less and excersise more but the scale is not moving. I am going to follow your advice and will trust that this is going to work for me too! Thanks for the great post!

Grace, Thanks for all of your information. Laying it all out on the table is something I needed to hear. My doctor pushes Protein shakes. I am so sick of them I think I might open everyone and dump. The problem for me is that I feel sick when I eat meat. But I don't want to live on packaged modified foods. I want to live on whole foods. Maybe you can offer advice in this area. Should I just blend it all together :angry:

Keep offering your advice. There are more of us out here looking for no nonsense than you might think.

Thanks for keeping it real!

Jen

Well, is he selling them to you? If so, that could be a motivator. If not...well, you'll find many docs who swear by Protein drinks. My sister had RnY and had to promise to do the shakes.< /p>

meat isn't the only source of Protein, thank goodness! I love steaks and hamburgers...but find they often get me into trouble so I avoid them...hurts when something gets stuck!

Beans, eggs, cheese, nuts and seeds, and even this stuff called Tofu. I ate it once...it's like spongy and you can cook it with anything and it takes on the shared foods flavor...has none on it's own.

Don't give up. You may have to work awhile to find you 3 good sources of protein...so that you can go from one to another. And remember, it's not forever....just while you are losing the weight...get on maintenace and get loosened up a tad and eat chicken again!

Come back and share with us what you found!

[when we go in for a snack at the 7-11...I get a piece of cheese instead of my old candy bar!]

I really like your easy to follow, no nonsense approach. Thank you, you have helped me already and I won't be banded until the 25th!