Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WATER ... It's sposed to be good for ya!

Now, honestly, I do like water.. Not a problem getting me to drink it. However, how in the world does anyone manage to get in 8 glasses a day??? If you have any secret tricks, hints, etc. I would surely appreciate it.

Secondly -- Can anyone tell me what the rationale is behind waiting 30 minutes to an hour after drinking BEFORE you eat? I can certainly understand why you would wait AFTER eating but what is the reasoning behind before? :confused2:

THANKS!

Edited by Southern Missy

After it shoves the food in your system out of the pouch and will make you hungry. Before they don't want liquid in the pouch because you won't get enough solids in your pouch to keep you full and you will get hungry quicker. Plus the liquid already in your pouch can make the solids go through faster too.

As for drinking Water I drink it when I'm thirsty, or when I'm hungry and I don't need to eat anymore. Also I drink it when I'm working out and when I am bored and on here etc. Whenever I feel like I need something in my hand to keep me from eating something.

I know I haven't been banded yet but I am on the 6 month diet so I need to take in a bunch of Water as well and calories between 1200-1600 usually 1200-1500.

I was just banded 2 weeks ago so I don't have a lot of restriction right now -- maybe it will be harder fitting in all that Water after I start getting my fills and have more restriction. But firht now I have no problem getting in anywhere from 64-80 ounces of water a day. It took a little practice.... and also I have a job where I can get up and go to the bathroom anytime I want to, so that helps! I bring a 32 oz. bottle of water with me to work in the morning with a goal of finishing it before lunch, then I fill it up and start again for the afternoon. After a few weeks of making myself do that, I am now so in the habit that I usually end up working my way halfway through a third bottle before the day is out.

I know 8 glasses of Water sounds so intimidating. When you think glass of Water you probably think a big tall glass. One glass of water is equal to one cup or 8 oz. So if you drink one bottle of water (16 oz) that will equal two glasses of water. I look at it like 4 bottles of water rather than 8 glasses, it makes it a little easier and it doesn't seem like so much.

The reason you need to wait 30 minutes after you eat to drink is because you want to food to sit in your "pouch" to give you the full feeling. If you drink while you eat it will "wash" the food through the band and you will be able to eat way more than you need. That defeats the purpose of the band all together. If you are really tight you will find that even a sip of water will make you PB if you have food in your pouch. Eat small bites and very slowly. It takes a lot longer to eat but, you will get the full feeling. Once you feel full stop eating or remove the plate from in front of you so you are not tempted to "pick". Then wait 30 minutes and have a bottle of water. Does that make sense? Good luck to you.

Okay, so I ADMIT it: I absolutely HATED Water before the Band! I mean I didn't drink one drop a day if it wasn't in coffee or iced tea, so there!

Now here comes the Band and my new life--and with my total research into the Band, I realize that I will so need Water to flush my kidneys and to fill my big old tummy up. So about six weeks after surgery I buy a bottle of water at work. Not so bad, drinking a little at a time--don't have to chug it down just to "get rid of it". :unsure:

I then worked my way up to refilling that bottle in the afternoon--HEY, I'm up to two (20 oz) bottles of water a day--yippee! So you get the picture, next thing you know I'm drinking two bottles before lunchtime (plus my two cups of coffee, of course!) and even fitting one into the afternoon. Now I also grab one from the frig in the evening too.

I simply don't know what happened--I was merrily on my no-water way when suddenly I was hit by the loving-water bug! :biggrin:

And yes, froggi is correct about the liquids BEFORE eating time: When I get up before work I now take cherry juice concentrate and metamucil in 1/2 cup water (you'll be OLD one day, too--don't laugh :thumbup:) and then have to eat breakfast--OMG, I can only get down maybe 6-7 Quaker Oat Squares and I am stuffed!

Just keep glugging--you'll find water is kind of REFRESHING....h-m-m-m-m!!! :lol:

Edited by make33

0002014F.gifJust wondering if it was ok to put some crystal lite in the Water and have it still count as your Water intake?

Doing that is fine, it just adds taste to the water so it's more bearable for some people. I adore regular water though. But it's fine.:lol:

Dandy just keep in mind all that artificial sweetener. It's not the best stuff for ya.

It was really hard for me at first too! I was a 2 Route 44oz Sonic drinker of Diet Coke a day!

I got off the diet coke about 3 weeks prior to the surgery & haven't had any since. I started drinking the Water & went for the mininum goal first 64 oz/day. Then, gradually, started doing a little more & little more. LIke others have said I would make sure to have Water with me every where I went.

today I gave a presentation & was concerned with all the talking I would have trouble getting in the water, but I didn't. I found myself looking for it.

You can always try the different flavors of Crystal Lite, etc to add to it to help with taste. I prefer bottled water & have a mini frig in my garage so that I can grab my bottles on my way out to the car. Their always chilled & ready to go. I drink 20 oz bottles only so I can do at least 5/day & make it 100 oz. I drink half in the am before I go exercise, then drink the other half after I exercise. I eat Breakfast when I get back & then after I get ready for work I start another bottle.

I read in a book that you don't drink water 30 min before because you kind of "fill up" on water & don't feel hungry enough to eat the foods you need for nutrients. I had read a lot of conflicting information about the 30 min before rule (some drs have it & some don't). I tried to do without it for about 2 months now & just use the "no water 30 min after' rule" that my dr gave me. My weight loss is still going well.

Good luck!

banded: 12/20/08

Start weight 313

Current weight 227

-86 total/ 77 to go

Dandy just keep in mind all that artificial sweetener. It's not the best stuff for ya.

The packets are sugar free they aren't very bad for you at all. :lol:

Thanks Lin! That was the answer I was looking for. I just was unclear as to why it would matter if you drank immediately before you ate. :lol:

I read in a book that you don't drink Water 30 min before because you kind of "fill up" on Water & don't feel hungry enough to eat the foods you need for nutrients. I had read a lot of conflicting information about the 30 min before rule (some drs have it & some don't). I tried to do without it for about 2 months now & just use the "no water 30 min after' rule" that my dr gave me. My weight loss is still going well.

Good luck!

banded: 12/20/08

Start weight 313

Current weight 227

-86 total/ 77 to go

Thanks for the heads up, the only thing is Water alone gives me heart burn, sounds crazy but I'll try switching everyother crystal lite to water.

Thanks for the heads up, the only thing is Water alone gives me heart burn, sounds crazy but I'll try switching everyother crystal lite to Water.< /span>

If you use regular bottled water and buy the little pouches for them in crystal lite it's fine. Those are sugar free.:lol:

The packets are sugar free they aren't very bad for you at all. :thumbup:

You are right, they are sugar free, however they do have Aspartame in them which is an artificial sweetener.

Moderation is a good rule to follow.