Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Yeah it's Friday....and yes, I'm looking forward to having another long weekend. Trying to get through my Breakfast before I leave for work (mostly I eat after I get to work) but since I have field work this morning and will be out for a couple of hours, I thought it wiser to eat now. It's hard in the morning...things don't go down very easily.

Off to the labor mill....hope everyone has a good day.

Eva

Good morning, when is it going to cool down? I, like Julie, hate having the house all closed up with the a/c on, I'd much rather have windows open. They keep teasing us that it is going to cool down to the 80's but it's always tomorrow. Sortta like starting a diet, always tomorrow. LOL

I got new family room furniture last night! We were planning on getting some after we got settled in here and just had 2 recliners in the family room. I went to costco to get dogfood yesterday and they had all this furniture in. It's a 'pit style' that goes in an L shape like, and the shorter side has an extended section with no back sortta like to put your feet up on. I love sitting in the corner all propped up with my feet up. It's a little more contempory style than my taste but looks good anyway. The price was cheap that's what sold DH of course. LOL

Let's see, Apples is hopefully recovering well from some dental work sitting on her deck at the lake, Phyl and Janet are laughing it up and having a grand time with the Lucky 7's, hopefully Janet's not freezing. LauraK is in Nevada helping her daughter get settled and w/o internet, hopefully that furniture will arrive sooner rather than later. Laura is in need of some me time and chasing around with Nels. Eva, is anxiously awaiting her long weekend to start early today, Julie is trying to wake up probably after taking pain pills last night, but here's hoping they weren't needed and the pain is better. Judy, rehearsing?? Jodi, getting ready for her alone time, Fire Island??? Jessica??? Linda, working? btw, Linda I still need to know where to send my share of the hotel money! Joyce hopefully isn't still sweltering from the heat and humidity. I shouldn't have started naming folks as now I am afraid I am forgetting someone, if so it's not intentional it's my groggy memory.

Some of the newbies and others have posted about emotional eating. I just wrote back some things to someone else on another thread and thought I'd repost it here. Could be our new topic for a couple of days.

I blogged through my weight loss period and it really helped me express my feelings safely and tackle a lot of the reasons I eat. I kind of lost interest once I reached my goal, but I do post on this and other threads to help me stay on track. Reach out. Don't eat your feelings. Find a safe way to express them and talk them out.

You may have to do some confronting of others and take control of your own happiness, which can mean ignoring people who are used to manipulating you and letting what they say go in one ear and out the other. Sometimes you have to minimize contact with them. God wants you to be healthy and to put him first--not those who demand your attention. That includes husbands and kids and parents and siblings.

That doesn't mean you stop caring for them. But it does mean you stop listening to them and start listening to God. And that you can't fix them. If their demands on you are making you sick emotionally, you learn to pick and choose what you can do for them. Learning to say, "No, I love you but right now I can't do that," and learning to walk away from arguments is one of the things that has helped me grow spiritually and emotionally.

All of this happens in baby steps, just like taking off the weight. As I shed the lbs., I also shed the expectations of others. I pick and choose the help I can give people. I think I actually accomplish more, now, because I do the things that I'm good at instead of the things they think I should be good at. Instead of disappointing others with my inadequacy at things they are learning to respect me for what I excel at. That's a good trade.

As always, with my advice and anyone else's, take what you like and leave the rest.

Cheri

Good Morning everyone!

Cheri great advice -- very well written and helpful to all of us. Yes, hasn't the weather this week been just perfect? Wow, low humidity, low 80s - not too hot, not too cold, but just right. I even had to put on a light jacket last night at the concert in the park -- it did't end until 9 and by then it was getting chilly. I loved the story about your Dad - wow, I really miss those good old days from the 50s. Life seemed simpler -- more innocent.

Arlene sorry about the rain and your friend's home -- flooding is such a terrible thing. We had 30 inches of rain the month of June and normal for us is 13. They released an overflow reservoir in Des Moines yesterday which may cause some flooding in some areas, but hopefully nothing major. This is the first week since the first of April we haven't had rain. Good job of choosing the stationary bike rather than just skipping your exercise -- hope your weather clears by Sunday.

Eva, we are both lucky we can see the fireworks from our homes -- much nicer than having to deal with parking, crowds, etc. They're forecasting rain here for Sunday night -- so hopefully it won't ruin the fireworks -- I guess they'll have them Monday if it rains Sunday. At least that's what I heard.

Laura, yes, yes, you definetly need me time - when I was a single mom and lived in Reno -- had no relatives there -- lucky for me my DS made friends with really nice people who would occasionally invite him to stay for the weekend with them -- they were such a wonderful family and my DS enjoyed "family" stuff with them - such good exposure for him as he didn't have any siblings. Every few years he'd go visit his dad in Ohio for a few weeks in the summer and boy oh boy did I enjoy that freedom! I missed him, but it helped keep me sane (or kinda sane). Hope you get to find some "me" time. Do you think your mom and dad could visit in October and stay so you could come to Vegas? I hope you'll find a way to make it -- won't be the same without you.

Lori, wtg on the new furniture -- sounds very comfy. Hope DH enjoys his landscaping duties this weekend -- sounds like a hot, dirty job - I'd hire it done if it was up to me. Has your one dog gotten better adjusted to the new house? I know you had some issues when you first moved -- hopefully she's better now. Hope that trial starts and doesn't get delayed any longer -- it'll be nice for you to have that whole ordeal behind you and over and done with -- such an emotional thing to deal with.

Thinking of Janet, Phyl and Peaches - hope they're having a blast.

Jessica, hope you and your family have a wonderful July 4.

Joyce, I'm suffering from CRS and can't remember what you have written lately -- but hope you and your fun lovin' DH have a nice 4th.

Julie, hope you had a pain free night or at least tolerable pain -- have you heard anything from mayo yet?

Jodi where are you? Back at Fire Island? Have a great holiday weekend.

CBL

Linda

Well, we have had 10" inches in 24hrs. We are under a flash flood warning for the day. It's days like this I want to eat........but I won't. Gotta break out the Wii and get used to walking in the house.

Just reporting in, I went to the gym today! WOOHOO! I went to the original location that I joined today that has the 'evil machine' I did 10 min on it today! First time could only do 5 so I've doubled. Too bad the scale hasn't moved. GRRRR I did not want to go today but made myself and feel good now that I did.

Dang it though had to close the windows and turn on the air. It's hot and so windy. Living in a new subdivision when the wind blows so does the dirt. I've practically given up dusting.

Great--I live in Thornton, IL, home of the largest stone quarry in the world. They blast daily. I dust when I know people are coming over. Which isn't often. As long as you don't draw in it, you really don't notice how thick it is. Or I've trained myself not to look. Otherwise it's just an exercise in futility.

I'm also missing Melissa and Peaches. C'mon people. Now's your chance to junk up the thread.

Emotional eating. How do you, or don't you, cope?

Julie, I would be emotionally eating during all that food prep. Not only would I be around what I'm addicted to, I'd be stressed to the max trying to make sure everything got done just right. How do you stop yourself from tasting everything or pigging out on your favorites?

Physical pain can also be a food trigger. I want comfort food which means lots of sugar.

I also eat when bored so I have to get out of my house frequently. But when I'm out I'm tempted by Starbucks and I can't go to Borders without wanting a fancy coffee. My budget says no more clothes for a while, so shopping is out. I've told myself no matter how cheap it is, do you really need it. The answer is usually, "No!"

My husband sleeps days and goes to work at midnight. Often sleeps part of the evening too. So I have to be very quiet in my house.

I like to take my grandchildren outside because sitting inside with them is a huge trigger. Sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate--rain or too hot.

I get sick of Facebook and computers.

Keeping the food out of the house is helful in avoiding emotional eating, but I need to replace it with something else and that isn't always easy.

My biggest test is this summer as I finish tutoring mid-morning and have the rest of the day and evening to myself.

I'll keep posting because that helps. I'll keep reading your posts because that helps. So keep posting, especially if you're in the middle of a relapse. Helping you, helps me.

Cheri

Cheri, My emotional eating comes and goes. Today we had another 5"of rain. I threw away the cupcakes I baked, but I did eat crackers...I know.....bad. Anyway, the rain has finally let up so we are going out for a walk.

Happy 4th! for all of you!

Cheri, that's pretty much what I am doing about the dusting, only if someone is coming over and being careful not to draw in it. LOL It's a futile battle. One thing I noticed is it is so windy here everyday. I am beginning to think this is normal as it's been a month and most afternoons it's like a dust cloud out there and a hot wind so not even a refreshing 'breeze'.

Boredom and nervousness are triggers for me. Keep me busy and I am fine. but the stress and nerves of the move with the hail damage, closings, etc. weren't good for me on teh scale and I now have some weight to lose again. it really ticks me off and then I beat myself up and get the oh screw it attitude and that's not good either. Lesson, NEVER EVER THINK I HAVE THIS BEAT!!

Had a lovely phone conversation with Julie this morning and look forward to meeting her, in person.

Also had a phone call from a gal I met in Bali several years ago and had a chance to meet her as she flew in from L.A. for dinner before she drove on to Salina for a nursing school reunion. What an unexpected delightful evening.

Also had a nice lunch with my dearest international travel buddy.

A GREAT DAY.

Way to go, Lori, on exercise. You rock, GF.

Reading a book I can hardly put down. Some Girls - sub title My life in a Harem.

Fascinating to read how ppl can trash their lives. A true story featured on the TV show The View.

Psychology or Psychiatry should have been my career path - or Law.

Looks like everyone is busy today. Gorgeous weather in K.C. so will spend time outside today.

CBL

Hi, good to see someone else on here from KY. How are you doing since surgery? I had mine on Monday the 28th. Have done real good. I do get hungry though. How have you handled it? Thanks

Thanks so much. I welcome all the support and suggestions you can give. I was just banded on Monday the 28th. I'm doing great. So glad that I took this first big step. I have been a little hungry. But I am following all the rules, just liquids for 8 more days. Any suggestions or comments are welcome