Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Ellen, I'm still thinking of you, and I'm sure that you found the right words today. Your friend is still supporting you from heaven.

And Janet, thanks for sharing some of your life experiences with us all. That truly does help us to understand how you are so helpful to us thru your knowledge and life experiences. I agree that we are all the same deep down.

You girls are great. Ya know what? We all got each other and thats great.

Janet, I was glad to hear some about your life. I am really ready for my own time and space now also. You are right, this weight thing is an addiction. Well, today is Sunday evening and I went to the state fair on Friday evening. I did have a corn dog and later a pork sandwich but I took the bun off and ate the pork. Not too bad. I now do believe I am in what they call Bandster hell. I am hungry. I have been hungry for at least a week. Trying to be careful but I can eat everything. When I went to Dr. on July 15 he said four more week for a fill since I was loosing good. Now I go on August 12 (Tuesday) and hopefully for a first fill but since the last visit I have lost 5 or 6 lbs (goes up and down). I havent lost anyweight for 14 days so I think I have a small plateau. Tonight i had 4oz hamburger patty, salad and half corn on cob and I could have eaten more. I stopped on my own but isn't that alot for a new bandster. I am eating pretty properly but just quite a bit more than before and I don't like that. We will see what Dr says on Tuesday. I don't want to get sidetracked with food. Still walking 2 miles a day. It is hard for me still. Talk to you all later.

Beckyo:smile2:

And Janet, thanks for sharing some of your life experiences with us all. That truly does help us to understand how you are so helpful to us thru your knowledge and life experiences. I agree that we are all the same deep down.

Thanks getthin :0)

You girls are great. Ya know what? We all got each other and thats great.

Janet, I was glad to hear some about your life. I am really ready for my own time and space now also. You are right, this weight thing is an addiction. Well, today is Sunday evening and I went to the state fair on Friday evening. I did have a corn dog and later a pork sandwich but I took the bun off and ate the pork. Not too bad. I now do believe I am in what they call Bandster hell. I am hungry. I have been hungry for at least a week. Trying to be careful but I can eat everything. When I went to Dr. on July 15 he said four more week for a fill since I was loosing good. Now I go on August 12 (Tuesday) and hopefully for a first fill but since the last visit I have lost 5 or 6 lbs (goes up and down). I havent lost anyweight for 14 days so I think I have a small plateau. Tonight i had 4oz hamburger patty, salad and half corn on cob and I could have eaten more. I stopped on my own but isn't that alot for a new bandster. I am eating pretty properly but just quite a bit more than before and I don't like that. We will see what Dr says on Tuesday. I don't want to get sidetracked with food. Still walking 2 miles a day. It is hard for me still. Talk to you all later.

Beckyo:smile2:

Becky - Yes you lost well after sugery and that's why my doc won't fill either - but since you haven't lost as much in this last month he should give you a little fill- you just have to talk to him and tell hime that you are using a lot of will power right now and that you would like a little more help from your tool - tell him you know it's about good food choices but that you got banded as you needed the help of the tool.. Tell him you ate the corn dog - that in it self should convience him to give you a fill

OK on you dinner - I think thats a normal amount of food but again I don't want to eat only 1/4 to 1/2 cup per meal - I want a mini meal.

for lunch I had tostada 1 corn tortilla - 1/4 c Beans 1/4 chicken and a sprinkle of ff cheese. 265 cal - and will have the same for dinner and I could have eaten more too - but I know the diff now between just wanting to eat cuz it taste good vs being hungry,,

Be paitent you are doing great - just talk to your doctor honestly... Make him listem..

How's everyone tonite ???

Lori how are you doing from your gallbladder surgery - feeling better..

Ellen - how was the memorial yesterday - How are you doing

BeckyO - Fill tomorrow good luck.. Let us know

Jill - How are you doing..

Kathy - how are you..

Getthin - Gail - Joannmarie - hope all is well and if I have forgotten anyone please forgive me - it's 8 and I need to go eat plus you know 53 yrs old - short term memory is shot :00

Hugs to you all - I will talk to you later

Janet

Hey Janet, I'm doing well thanks for checking! I'm just a little frustrated because I have actually gained a Lb in the last 2 days, and I'm only still on full liquids!!! I know that this is something to be expected, but it is quite annoying. :mellow: I have been following the rules and have not been drinking in tons of calories. I've also been walking. I'm only actually between 650-800 cals per day. Do you think this is why? Should I up my liquid cals?? It's not like I have been really hungry either. I figured when I get to solid food, then I'd be eating 1000-1200 cals per day. I'm thinking and hoping it will all work itself out.:wink2:

Everybody is pretty quiet tonight...

Must be watching the Olympics. I am. Love the swimming - DD was competitive swimmer elementary school through college, so we had many MANY hours together at meets and traveling to and from. We have been "watching" the swimming together over the phone!

Hope everyone is doing well.

:unsure:

Hey Janet, I'm doing well thanks for checking! I'm just a little frustrated because I have actually gained a Lb in the last 2 days, and I'm only still on full liquids!!! I know that this is something to be expected, but it is quite annoying. :mellow: I have been following the rules and have not been drinking in tons of calories. I've also been walking. I'm only actually between 650-800 cals per day. Do you think this is why? Should I up my liquid cals?? It's not like I have been really hungry either. I figured when I get to solid food, then I'd be eating 1000-1200 cals per day. I'm thinking and hoping it will all work itself out.:D

You may want to up calories a little (and keep them varied) and what are you eating (drinking) Soups with sodium?? Are you getting on the scale every day ?? If you are - don't once a week. Our weight flucuates too much - I am big beleiver in once a week - that's not to say that sometime I will jump on it - but it doesn't count until my weigh in day on Thursday..

Just keep following your docs rules - exercise and it will work out in the end..

Everybody is pretty quiet tonight...

Must be watching the Olympics. I am. Love the swimming - DD was competitive swimmer elementary school through college, so we had many MANY hours together at meets and traveling to and from. We have been "watching" the swimming together over the phone!

JoannMarie - My GF Billie who passed away in 93 - she and I would watch the Olympic's on the phone too. :der::lol: Her Mom would call and say what are you doing - watch the Olmpic's with Janet over the phone...:tt2::lol: too funn I thought we were the only ones who have done that..

Well another busy day for me today - I am trying to get 5 days of work done in 3 days - I will be gone Thrusday thru Sunday - going to visit Sister and Son for a few days.. So gotta have a clean desk when I leave.

Well of to get my day started - will CBL..

Janet - Thanks for checking in. Yesterday was a tough day for me. I was hungry all day! I kept to no more than 1 cup at a sitting, but I needed to eat more often. By the end of the day I had consumed 1200 calories. I'm still in the mushie phase until the weekend. I hope once I transition to food I won't get so hungry. On the positive side, I did get my first fill scheduled for September 8th.

thanks for checking up on me Janet! I feel like I have turned the corner in my recovery. I feel much better this morning, have taken nothing for the pain since yesterday morning. Still really weak and tired but that improves slowly as well. Still having pain but it's bearable. The thing that's driving me the most nuts is those pounds I gained in the hospital, 8 of them. I did after lap band too and figured it was due to the IV fluids, swelling, etc. And after banding it was gone in a day or so, not this time 5 are gone but 3 are hanging on still. GRRRRR I was 49 and wanting to hit 50 so bad and now I have 4 more to go. But I'm not changing my ticker! Some of my food choices haven't been the best, but I've had no appetite and eaten very little. I know I need a fill as I can eat too much and plan on getting one on teh 20th at my post op check up.

HI, Thank you all so much. There aren't enough words to show my appreciation for the support I've received here. I have been on this board for only 3 weeks and already I feel so close to everyone. The memorial service for my friend, Judy, was sad and beautiful. It was truly a celebration of her life and she would have been so pleased. 300 people turned out. And I did find the right words. Some came to me that Sat. night and some Sun. morning. Somehow it all came together. Thank you for your caring.

Janet, your words in your last posts, were so amazing and gave me so much food for thought. When I was doing the Dr. Phil program I went to the computer and took walks, too, whenever I got the urge to eat. Now I have to be even more on top of things and even more analytical. I have to figure out why I can't handle those emotions, be grateful that there are healthier alternatives and deal with the causes, so I don't get sabatoged. I've got the band; now I have to "have myself" for strength too.

Lori, so glad you're feeling better. In re to the weight, I tell you what my son-in-law keeps telling me when I get frustrated that the scale's not moving. You couldn't be doing anything more than you are already doing, so don't worry, it will come off. I also think I am going to take Janet's advice and put the scale away. If I wake up and the scale is one pound more than the day before, I go crazy. That's as unhealthy a mindset as I had when I was eating like crazy. As I've said before, I need a band around my brain, too! I'm losing about 2 pounds a week, which isn't a lot fresh out of surgery, but I have to remember that I lost over 35 pounds BEFORE the surgery, so that initial "quick drop" may have already taken place.

Kathy, thanks for the hug.

Becky, good luck with the fill.

Getthin, yes, we are all the same and isn't it an amazing, freeing realization to "get that!" Someday I'll tell you a story about being with one of Dr. Phil's chosen 13 and my "getting it." Don't mean to tease; it's just too long a story right now.

Cathy, I have the realize band, also. Do you use their website?

Joann, I'm a swimmer, too. I can't wait til the doctor says I can go back in. It's the greatest stress reliever and the only sport I was ever good at.

Be well, Everyone.

Love,

Ellen

Ellen, I had a thought while I was reading your post. I looked at your ticker and saw that you started with 85 pounds to lose. You are over half-way there! You are doing great - no matter when you lost, before or after banding - it is still gone and the band will help you keep it gone. Many people have started with a lot more to lose than you did. It is natural that they will lose faster at the beginning of their journey than you will. I'm starting at about BMI 43. I probably will not lose as fast at the beginning as someone who starts at BMI 50 or 55. I think I need to be aware of that from the start and not get frustrated that other people may be losing faster than I am. You and I WILL be successful. Your SIL is right - you are doing what you need to do and it will happen.

I have to say this support thread is great. Not even banded, but I feel supported already! You all have such good questions, ideas, and answers.

and a disclaimer: that DD of mine is the swimmer, not me! I can dog-paddle, but that is about it. As an adult she has gone on to running marathons (4 so far), and then started doing Ironman triathlons(3 so far). She is a mom now and takes her baby jogging with her in the stroller just about every day - not training, just keeping in shape. All this from a mom who prefers making quilts to exercising. That preference probably won't change, but the daily schedule has changed to accommodate workouts. I feel like this is my last chance to make sure I'll be playing with that baby of hers for as long as possible.

Good thoughts and many thanks to all of you...

Janet - Thanks for checking in. Yesterday was a tough day for me. I was hungry all day! I kept to no more than 1 cup at a sitting, but I needed to eat more often. By the end of the day I had consumed 1200 calories. I'm still in the mushie phase until the weekend. I hope once I transition to food I won't get so hungry. On the positive side, I did get my first fill scheduled for September 8th.

Kathy even with restriction there are days you are hungrier than others and you will find that more sold foods do keep you fuller longer and your 1st fill will help - it might not get you to your sweet spot but it will be a beginning - Just keep up the good work !!!!

thanks for checking up on me Janet! I feel like I have turned the corner in my recovery. I feel much better this morning, have taken nothing for the pain since yesterday morning. Still really weak and tired but that improves slowly as well. Still having pain but it's bearable. The thing that's driving me the most nuts is those pounds I gained in the hospital, 8 of them. I did after lap band too and figured it was due to the IV fluids, swelling, etc. And after banding it was gone in a day or so, not this time 5 are gone but 3 are hanging on still. GRRRRR I was 49 and wanting to hit 50 so bad and now I have 4 more to go. But I'm not changing my ticker! Some of my food choices haven't been the best, but I've had no appetite and eaten very little. I know I need a fill as I can eat too much and plan on getting one on teh 20th at my post op check up.

Lori - Yep the more you want that # the harder it is to get - it's been 4 days since your surgery and you might be feeling better but your body is still healing and as you said you haven't made the best food choices - I can tell you for a fact that if I had surgery - I might not be making the best food choices either - but your body does need a few extra calories to heal.. As to changing your ticker - I don't think anyone ever increases it upwards - only down wards... I know that if I have gained weight after going to my sisters in June - I didn't change my ticker - so that's cool don't worry about it :0)

HI, Thank you all so much. There aren't enough words to show my appreciation for the support I've received here. I have been on this board for only 3 weeks and already I feel so close to everyone. The memorial service for my friend, Judy, was sad and beautiful. It was truly a celebration of her life and she would have been so pleased. 300 people turned out. And I did find the right words. Some came to me that Sat. night and some Sun. morning. Somehow it all came together. Thank you for your caring.

Janet, your words in your last posts, were so amazing and gave me so much food for thought. When I was doing the Dr. Phil program I went to the computer and took walks, too, whenever I got the urge to eat. Now I have to be even more on top of things and even more analytical. I have to figure out why I can't handle those emotions, be grateful that there are healthier alternatives and deal with the causes, so I don't get sabatoged. I've got the band; now I have to "have myself" for strength too.

Getthin, yes, we are all the same and isn't it an amazing, freeing realization to "get that!" Someday I'll tell you a story about being with one of Dr. Phil's chosen 13 and my "getting it." Don't mean to tease; it's just too long a story right now.

Cathy, I have the realize band, also. Do you use their website?

Joann, I'm a swimmer, too. I can't wait til the doctor says I can go back in. It's the greatest stress reliever and the only sport I was ever good at.

Be well, Everyone.

Love,

Ellen

Ok Ellen - I know that you and Long were on the show together - but that's about it - I don't watch dr Phil much - I record Oprah :0).. So yes you both need to tell us the story,...

Eating - I can tell you that I truly think about everything I eat before it goes in my mouth.. I really haven't had to many screw it moments since I have been banded - Well 2 weekends ago when I went out and had a couple of drinks (well more than a couple:tongue:) when I go home I ate the dips (like bon bons) that my son had not finished before he left and I didn't care - I did say screw it I am eating them - but I gotta say that was the 1st time in the last yr that I had that kind of thinking - but judgement was clouded by the alcohal :whatchutalkingabout:lol:

I am glad the services went well..

And yes you are more than 1/2 to goal already - way to go

Hugs Janet

Ellen, I had a thought while I was reading your post. I looked at your ticker and saw that you started with 85 pounds to lose. You are over half-way there! You are doing great - no matter when you lost, before or after banding - it is still gone and the band will help you keep it gone. Many people have started with a lot more to lose than you did. It is natural that they will lose faster at the beginning of their journey than you will. I'm starting at about BMI 43. I probably will not lose as fast at the beginning as someone who starts at BMI 50 or 55. I think I need to be aware of that from the start and not get frustrated that other people may be losing faster than I am. You and I WILL be successful. Your SIL is right - you are doing what you need to do and it will happen.

I have to say this support thread is great. Not even banded, but I feel supported already! You all have such good questions, ideas, and answers.

and a disclaimer: that DD of mine is the swimmer, not me! I can dog-paddle, but that is about it. As an adult she has gone on to running marathons (4 so far), and then started doing Ironman triathlons(3 so far). She is a mom now and takes her baby jogging with her in the stroller just about every day - not training, just keeping in shape. All this from a mom who prefers making quilts to exercising. That preference probably won't change, but the daily schedule has changed to accommodate workouts. I feel like this is my last chance to make sure I'll be playing with that baby of hers for as long as possible.

Good thoughts and many thanks to all of you...

Joannmarie - my starting bmi was 42.9 and I have lost at a good steady rate - but remember this isn't a race - some are going to lose faster than others - as long as it comes off that's all that really counts,

Yep we all want it fast - I can't say I didn't but the weeks that I only lost 1/2 lbs - I was very happy - all I cared about was loss...

Hi all tonight! Today is Tuesday (12th). Went to dr. today. ONly lost 5 lbs in the last 4 weeks according to his scale. My scale says I lost more than that. Oh Well! Anyway he said he does his first three fills under flouroscopy so of course I did not get scheduled until this coming Monday for that. I will be okay for another week. He says I am doing good. Have lost a total of 26 in 9 weeks. So I am still happy with that. I hope this fill on Monday cuts my appetite down. He told me to go get a copy of South Beach diet book and read it because I said I had a steak, b potato and salad last night for dinner. He says no potatoes or very little as they turn to sugar. So I guess I will read that book and see what it says. I myself, like Weight Watchers but I have not looked at the others so I really don't know. Glad to hear everyone is doing okay so far. Keep up the good work:thumbup:

Beckyo:tt2:

Beckyo - if you are looking for books with food ideas, I got one the other day, "Wating Well After Weight Loss Surgery". It's written by a chef from NYC who was banded at 300 lbs. It has great recipes in it. I can't wait to get off mushies this weekend and try some.

Kathy