Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

ON THE WAY TO THE GYM :0)

I did not go to the gym. My puppy Charlie had an absolute fit when I put my tennis shoes on. I did not take him walking with me this morning so I stayed home and we walked. He was so happy. I feel good about walking twice today.

Cheri, HUGS on feeling better soon.

Apples, did you leave today?

Betsyjen, I was banded in 2008 and lost about 55lb. Then I went to weight management/nutrition classes for six months. You have support here. Be ready for some tough love. It would also be good to find a support system where you live. I joined WW after the nutrition classes. Does your surgeon have support groups? Journaling and accountability are key.

Julie.....are you okay?

Linda......too funny about the posts going crazy. Cheri is right. You are tiny. It is hard to believe you were obese.

Great, you are one busy lady. I don't know how you do all that flying. I guess you are used to it......and you poor dear.....having to go to Hawaii again?.....we should all be that miserable...lol

Arlene, yeah if someone has got to do it (go to Hawaii I am glad it's me LOL). Now if only DH would get the dates and hotel pinned down, it keeps changing.

I started laughing when you said you didn't go to the gym because of your dog (sorry), it reminded me of the 'my dog ate my homework' excuse. Glad you went walking still though.

Linda, I concur with the others, you look great where you are. But you know what is comfortable for you and what you can maintain. Are you looking at any plastic surgery? You'd probably be below goal then.

Linda,

No I am not 122 that 104 was the total of lbs I want/will lose when I'm at my goal. Good thing we all like the color orange with all the junking up of the thread. lol I agree with everyone else you are so tiny.

Janet, The exercise guru. Is it better to walk for a longer amount of time or to walk multiple times for a shorter amount of time? I've been finding it easier to walk multiple times for about 15 mins each time. Which will give me the most benefit?

Kelly, Where are you? You doing ok?

Eva, sure which I could be outside doing all that yard work right now. Oh I hate winter and the cold. My whine for the day.

Joyce, HI, glad to see you post, how's the knee doing?

LauraK

Cheri, You say it right on target. Thank you.

Arlene, wtg on taking the walk with your dog.

Lori, thanks for taking one for the team with all that travel. lol

Finally getting a chance to post. Yes, Arlene, I was gone today. Crazy A$$ day I had. Lots of 2011 books to do b/4 we leave. Even though I pay a lot of bills online or by credit card (hence the airline miles that allow me to meet you girls whenever), we deal with a lot of little cooperatives that don't know what online banking is. I had to do a lot of "creative bookkeeping" and paying bills ahead of time. Got it figured out. And, (patting myself on the back) I balanced yet another year with my tax accountant in all checking accounts. I always stress about that....maybe a bit of a perfectionist? No...really not...just the way I was brought up. "If you are going to do something, do it right". Anyway, balancing to the penny always makes me smile. Cuz, if I don't I have to find it. And, if I don't balance I have to pay them to find it. Not going to pay them 20 times more than my paycheck for them to find a mistake. Only had to do that one year out of 31 and they charged us $700 but had to give it back cuz it was their mistake to begin with. Sooooooooooooooooo...another pat on the back.

So...did bookwork and had a hair appt with DS's GF from 10am till 1:45. (Color, cut, highlight and straightened). Then I met up with a friend for lunch until 3pm, ran out to the county office to sign power of attorney papers so DS can do whatever, ran to the tax office to sign another paper that they forgot yesterday, ran back to the hair salon to get my earrings that I forgot there (oops), got dog food for the 2 mo trip, stopped and bought myself a present for the GREAT job I did with the books, came home and made dinner, did three loads of laundry, cried when I said goodbye to oldest DS (did my cry yesterday for youngest), did the dishes, and had a major meltdown with DH over something that happened today during lunch. Whew...good day all-in-all.

All I am going to say about the meltdown is this: Had lunch with friend I have known for 32 yrs. I have blown her off here and there because of some comments (too skinny...I KNOW you don't eat). She blasted me b/4 I even sat down. "You are on death's door....I KNOW you don't eat....If you say you are eating as much as you say you are daily, then you should weigh at least 50lbs more than you SAY you do....My DH's nephew is in the hospital and on death's door and you look just like him....Your eyes are sunken just like my nephew who is on death's door....Wow, you ate more than me....Are you sure you are not throwing up or something after you eat?....

So...those of you reading this and thinking "Why did she sit there and just take it?". I was working up to it. She was sitting there while saying all of this with six deep fried/breaded chicken strips, a bowl of chicken noodle Soup and cottage fries that she was finishing off. In between blasting me she talked about being on Nutrisystem, hating the food, and cannot figure out why she has hit a plateau after losing only 6lbs three months ago and eating only 600 cals a day. "Honestly...I only eat 600 calories a day". I stood up (we had already paid the bill), gave her a hug and said "I've been so real with you for so long....time for you to be real. Love ya". Tough to do.

Laura - it's the intensity of your walk that is the most important - it's better to walk on and incline for 5 minutes than on flat surface for 5 minutes (you burn more calories)- the higher the intensity the shorter amount of time you have to walk ;0) and for me it's all amount the least amount of time I work out -

These #'s are examples - 15 minutes on a flat surface 80 cal burned - 15 minutes on incline of 4 100 cal burn - I haven't been on a treadmill in ages so I don't remember the exact # - but in know that if put the incline up I burn more calories..

So if you are walking outside then just find inclines or walk very fast.. It's all about the intensity of the work out...

Great you are a busy lady

Ya Charlene - I loved that one - "Dog Excuse" wasn't today a trainer day - weights?? The more muscle you have the more calories you burn just breathing..

Linda I concur you looked fine and normal (thin) in Vegas.. For me I might have maybe 5-7 lbs max extra skin - But as I have said before - face would be the 1st thing to get fixed if I ever decide to go under the knife again...

Well back from Gym - My sis called to say she hated the pic's I put on fb - I told her she should see the originals - that I photo shopped is jowls - that I took 10 lbs off her face (she's all bloated from the steroids) we had a good laugh - she sounds really good - got the dogs fed - now gotta fix me some dinner

Eva - I am glad you had a good day !!! and that you aren't leaving us ;0)

LauraK~ In the past, trainers have told me that if you want the cardiovascular benefits of exercise, you must work your Heart for 30 mins at a time at 65-70% of your max heart rate. To find your max heart rate, you subtract your age from 120, then to find your target zone, you figure whatever is 65-70% of that. But, of course, Janet is right with the calories burned! She is the guru!

Thanks for all of the well wishes for the test! I never like to speculate after I take tests. I never know. I find out on Friday sometime after 4pm on Friday. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.

Went to LB meeting. I love going. It motivates me every time. I showed everyone my pants from before surgery and all of us wrote ourselves letters that the dietitian will send us in 6 months. Good idea!

Apples~ You are so much nicer than I. I would've gone bonkers on that "friend". Duh!!!!! I wonder why she isn't losing weight??? Could it be the chicken fingers, or the fries? You are awesome! Thank you for reminding me that it is much better to be kind than say something nasty back.

food for the day:

Breakfast~ Slim Fast

Snack~ Tim Hortons half coffee, half hot chocolate

Lunch~ Salt and Vinegar Almonds

Dinner~ Turkey Chili

Snack~ Grapefruit (possible. haven't eaten it yet, but want something for "dessert")

Cals= 823 Protein= 38g

Wow, Apples, what a busy day. Talking about you keeps her from getting real with herself. Good you got that off your chest. I would like to be real with one of my friends, but I don't want the drama. So I guess you are ready to leave. How many days will it take? Be safe!

Lori, I do have to get back into my Water aerobics routine. I miss it. Yeah, working with the trainer is not my favorite exercise. I like the machines, but I am not crazy about the free weights.

I think I will go to bed early. Another resolution I made was to read more. I am reading the bible in one year( app on iphone and ipad) and I downloaded a non-fiction from kindle app. I love my ipad!

Goodnight!

Hi all ....do I detect old format style?? Not sure but think so....

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!

Sorry ive been gone.....but its been a heck of a week getting back to the normal routine!

I always have such a hard time getting back into things after a vacation...,,even when its not a vacation but forced vacation of sorts..........didnt go back to work till Monday....I could not drive to Brooklyn from LI....apparently the neighborhood I work in was never plowed at all.....and I still had a hard time with finding a spot today!!!

So far this week has been a dousy.....and trying to focus and attend to all the things that didnt get done last week...including paperwork, shopping and basic stuff....library, gym etc.....it really has knocked me out....not to mention the darn cleaning girl cancelled today after not being able to come last week....so the place is really a mess! I tried to clean somewhat last Friday but heck who am I kidding??? I cant clean anymore....dont even know where to start...I could wipe the counters, sweep the floors and put to order everyday the apartment...and throw out garbage and clean the bathroom bath and shower........and wash the dishes.....but real cleanning???? Those days....no can do anymore....I guess once you had someone three times a week cleaning.,.....going to once a week was hard but....I learned what I needed to do in between to keep place clean but....this??? Two weeks without a good clean??? OMG....freaking out!! Had to get someone else to come tomorrow.....if I had to wait one more day id have to move to my mother for the weekend for sure!

WOW....that makes me look so...um spoiled.....but this is my one luxery....I work two jobs and am a single parent...I dont have time to clean as well and I deserve it to boot. Much prefer to spend time at the gym then cleaning....as that is the only option of use of free time! So....spoiled then I must be? Sobeit....lol

Tonight went to pick out and order Dassis Bat Mitzvah dress....Its gorgeous...She is having formal wear....

(to a restaurant, lol) thats what she wants..so thats what its going to be. We found someone in the neighborhood who makes custom dresses for 150-200 dollars total.....She is getting a copy of some designor something....Princess gown. yes, she will look gorgeous....I went to look at dresses for me at the GMACH for gowns. They had gorgeous gowns...of so many styles and colors..........Im sure ill find something there so wont have to pay anything for mine. Pays to volenteer so they know me and are putting aside anything that they think I might like. The invitations are ordered.....

Now Centerpieces....that is the order for the next few weeks.

She is having a masquerade ball.....so any ideas about what the center pieces on ten tables could be??? In fact anyone who wants to have that project....would be happy to pay...lol. Going to end up paying a fortune anyways for this shin dig....might as well be something amazing. lol

Have not had time to read all posts.....but....

wanted to see how Loris daughter was doing and if she is now on Bed Rest. I hope and pray she is doing okay and continues to do so.....

I want to thank everyone for their lovely cards and holiday wishes and gifts..........So sweet and so...nice to have them up on our mantel to look and and smile everytime I pass them by.....oh and if you all dont mind Id like to leave these up for at least another month....as they are the first holiday cards weve ever gotten and I dont want to put them away...each one is nicer then the other.....

Okay....welll you can all imagine that I have not been to gym and eating hasnt been the greatest but getting back into gear and by next week better be back on track!!!! Or ill kick my butt....no need for Janet to do that for me....I think I have a support group meeting tomorrow night...but not sure.....have a date but will cancel if there is a meeting...need to go and get back the "head" the date can wait till Sunday.

Oh wanted to hear how to NYE date went with Laura?? Was thinking about you that night and praying you were having a great night!!!

Okay....well must go to sleep exhausted....have a good night all and will try to read posts tomorrow at work when and where its quiet!!

Jodi

OK...now I can post a real one...sorry about that last post...just had to get that whine in there. It was "all about me" but, I guess that's what this thread is all about. Support. I just KNEW I could come here and get it off my chest. No...my head. I was so pi$$ed today that I thought the top of my head was going to flip off. Had to unload. Thank you for listening.

Eva....your gym is EXACTLY like mine!!!! Shhh.....don't tell the gym rats....I think we might get a better workout (just between you and me, OK?)

Janet...so nice of you to photo shop your sis's picture. She's beautiful. You forced me to go look at all the photos. What a nice looking family. I say prayers for your sis.

Linda...gotta tell you this. When I met you I could not believe how tiny your were. I always admired you because of how dedicated your were to exercise...even with the hip thing. It's kind of like Lori said to me and I said to her the first time we met (she said it first and I meant it too)...she stated that I looked like I had never carried extra weight. While she is saying it, I'm sitting there having the same thought going across my brain about her. You know what is sooooooooooooooooooooooo nice about this thread? None of us knew each other fat so we accept and cheer and accept and cheer........I am bewildered sometimes how we can be so close and share so much and respect and share and love and enjoy each other like we do. Yes, it does take a bit to get to know each other but there is true love and we are so accepting of each other. A little tough and not so well thought out posts sometimes (Me...foot in mouth syndrome)...but we did not SEE each other. We all speak from the heart and we only have the heart to judge.

Arlene...you know that when we poke fun it's only that, right? Well, when Lori did the "dog ate the homework" I almost choked on my butterscotch pudding. You're one the train all day??? If so, good job. If not, no shame. Love.

LauraK...Now...don't tease Lori about flying around the world too much...she just might feel bad. You know how I fee about that???? Tough sh_t. Hope you have a lot of fun in all those damned places you are going, Lori. Love

Cheri....where the he)) were you today when I needed you???? Would have loved to see you come up against the chicken strip chicken Soup french fry eating woman.

Apples Hugs on your stupid friend !!!! You are under alot of stress right now and that has to be showing too.. I just would blow her off period...

Melissa - I can't get my heart rate up to 120 due to the beta blocker I take for my high blood pressure - But I was able to lose my weigh with increasing intensity... And let me tell you I would have to stop and hit the pause button alot especially in the beginning,,

Charlene I like free weights the best - I feel I get a better workout..

Jodi - Can't wait to see the pic's from Dassis Bat Mitzvah When is it going to be... Yep girl - being off the wagon for more than a week is asking for trouble.. Hugs

Sorry for the drive by - but I gotta go eat - xoox

LauraK~ In the past, trainers have told me that if you want the cardiovascular benefits of exercise, you must work your Heart for 30 mins at a time at 65-70% of your max heart rate. To find your max heart rate, you subtract your age from 120, then to find your target zone, you figure whatever is 65-70% of that. But, of course, Janet is right with the calories burned! She is the guru!

Thanks for all of the well wishes for the test! I never like to speculate after I take tests. I never know. I find out on Friday sometime after 4pm on Friday. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.

Went to LB meeting. I love going. It motivates me every time. I showed everyone my pants from before surgery and all of us wrote ourselves letters that the dietitian will send us in 6 months. Good idea!

Apples~ You are so much nicer than I. I would've gone bonkers on that "friend". Duh!!!!! I wonder why she isn't losing weight??? Could it be the chicken fingers, or the fries? You are awesome! Thank you for reminding me that it is much better to be kind than say something nasty back.

Food for the day:

Breakfast~ Slim Fast

Snack~ Tim Hortons half coffee, half hot chocolate

Lunch~ Salt and Vinegar Almonds

Dinner~ Turkey Chili

Snack~ Grapefruit (possible. haven't eaten it yet, but want something for "dessert")

Cals= 823 Protein= 38g

Back on track, Meredith...that's what we like to see. Keep it going, Girl...I makes our hearts happy

Wow Apples, I can't believe your 'friend', how insensitive, but how classy how you handled it. 600 calories in chicken fingers and fries? I want to go on her diet! LOL

Now I don't mean to gloat about my travel and hesitate to post about it sometimes but it is what I love to do. and it's free. LOL I denied myself travel for so long when I was fat as I was too embarrassed afraid of needing the seat belt extender (did several times) and when I travel stand by we get the last seats and 9 times out of 10 they are center seats. I just hated seeing the looks on peoples faces when they realized I was going to sit between them. So now I got some time to make up for. LOL

Arlene, I tease you about the 'excuses' because I am the queen of making them. LOL I am dreading my workout in the morning (but I will do it) due to my muscles hurting so bad. I hope there's no squats in the program tomorrow. LOL Good job on staying on the train today.

I did a 'Janet' at the grocery store today. I got some ingredients for chili and you know me and my Fritos and I love them with my chili. And.... they have chip displays all over the store for the football promotions etc. Anyway, I told the Fritos off and to leave me alone and they did not come home with me. Oh and, Arlene, the chili I am making is from the Texas cookbook you gave me, DH really liked it it is 'refried bean chili' I leave out the Water as it got too soupy when I made it in the crockpot.

Melissa - Well don't know when Obama medical is going into affect - but that restriction is suppose to change - I know that here in Cali - if you are coming from one group to another (had prior insurance) I am pretty sure they have to cover you - I'll ck with the pple who handle our health insurance... Not to be political here - but everyone deserves to have health insurance at an affordable rate.. I don't understand if you got full time then Sam's Club would cover you - but a small group can exclude you - doesn't make sense.. But again I don't do health Insurance..

When you get in bed at night - take that time for you, have that be your mediation time.

Actually the changes i n the plan I need will not happen unil 2014 right now it is alot or senior people

Melissa, do you have Type I diabetes? Sounds like you do. Two of my step kids have type I and I know how tough it is. Keep trying to get your health under control -- yes it's very hard to do, but you can and will accomplish it -- remember how good you felt when you were at your lowest weight -- and try to get there again. Take your readings and stay on top of your diabetes. I agree with Janet, everyone deserves affordable health insurance. IF you do have type I I know that you may qualify for a federal program -- you have to go to specific doctors for coverage, but you are covered -- you might want to check into that. Both my adult step kids qualified for it because of their diabetes. My youngest is now able to be back on my insuranc with the newest change that anyone under 26 can stay on parent's insurance. It's a huge relief to me as he can't find a job with any coverage either.

Since you also have clerical skills, you might be able to get full time quicker than some of the other employees -- do they post all the jobs that open? Hope something opens soon that you can apply for. Hugs.

Linda

Actually I am a type 2 diabetic due to my weight. As I lost the weight I was coming off my meds. I have an appt next week to talk to the Diabetes Educator to get meds changed and possibly see if she has any suggestions re my insurance.

Melissa, ask your Diabetes Educator about organizations that help with the cost of diabetes. Here in Texas if you don't have health insurance you just go to the ER. They can't turn you away. A friend of mine works for a company that finds money for people that need surgeries and can't afford them.

I plan on talking to her next week. I can go to the ER if I do not have health insurance however it is scary not having it

Melissa, I forgot you in my previous post. What you have to do is very hard, but you can do it. You can't mess around with the diabetes. I have type II and it's well under control. I only take 1/2 the meds the doc prescribed, but the doc says as long as my numbers are down, no problem. I know you know this, but you really need to incorporate it into your being. Fighting the depression isn't easy either, but you are strong and can do this. My doctor prescribed my blood pressure meds so I could get them at Wal-Mart. They are cheaper there than with my insurance's co-pay. He figured that out and I can still get three months at a time and don't have to claim on my insurance ($10 for three months worth of pills at Wal-Mart and $25 for three months through my insurance.) You might want to ask your doc about that.

I am going to try to set an appt so I can see my PCP dr to see about changing my meds over

Melissa, I hope you start loving yourself enough to start taking care of yourself. I would suggest you talk to insurance and government specialists to see what you can do about health care. It absolutely is unfair for your husband to criticize you for your weight and then lay a guilt trip on you about health care, which you have no control over. You are doing your best by working in a time when its difficult for people to hold down any job. Your husband needs to reinvestigate self-insurance for his company now that the laws have changed.

However, you have to quit living in reaction to the people around you, their expectations, criticisms, lack of support, etc. Do you want to be healthy? Do you want to control your diabetes and liver tumors? I am convinced that we used the people around us and our codependance on them to keep ourselves unhealthy. Don't do it for them. Do it for yourself.

Cheri

You are right I don't want to die I want to live. I will do it for my self

Melissa I did talk to our health insurance girls - in California if you are coming from one group going to another group they can't deny you.. I would ck w/another insurance agent.. GA might be diff - but I woldn't see why..

Janet - If you move from one company to another they can not deny your health conditions that is why I have alsways worked. However if you went and got your own insurance outside of the company your work for they can. But I think we are getting it worked out. I just need to make full time and then I will be able to get the insurance faster.

All - went to the Dr yesterday he put 3 cc back in so I am at 6.5cc which is less than before when I got to tight and had all the issues. I can feel it now. He was shocked I gained so much wait and I said it was all my doing but now I havw a more physical job and I can walk to work so I should have this weight off in no time. I also went to target and got little bowels and plates that are the right size for what we eat. They were actually for appetizers and dipping bowels for sauces. I can eat mushies tomorrow yeah I am trying to remember to take it slow when drinking and when I eat cause now I have the restriction.

:rolleyes:Well, haven't even caught up with all the posts yet, but just wanted to thank you all for making me feel so great -- never had so many compliments in one day -- feeling great - big smile on my face as I go to bed. Thanks everyone for the nice compliments.

Great -- I told DH earlier tonight that I'm going to make an appt. and go talk to a PS just to see what they say and see if I can get insurance approval -- as for my larger "taaa taaas" wouldn't even mind having a bit of them reduced - I've always had "more than my share" and with my back adn now recent shoulder and neck problems, maybe that would help. LOL. Never know till you make an appt. and ask, right?

Great -- I'm with Arlene -- do feel soooo sorry for you having to go back to Hawaii - try to endure it. LOL. Wish we could all meet there and spend an entire week together.

Thanks again and I will sleep well. Love you all.

Will catch up on reading tomorrow.

linda