Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Okay gang, Dr Oz is on the OWN network talking about pooping. It is interesting. I might like this program . Dr Phil and Suzy Orman is on there too.

So far, June 11 works for more people.

Sorry disregard my last post then. With all the activity on the board today I must've missed something about June working better. didn't mean to confuse matters. Not sure I can make that but will do my best. If I knew how to delete the post I would.

Ok June 11th???? Cheri - so we look for homewood sutie in Thronton IL ????

Meredith - I know what you mean - I don'y listen to the cussing and too much sexing stuff - but like some of if ;0) I know what you mean about not being in the mood for it..

Just watched an old b/w movie with Carey Grant -

Broiled my last lobster tail - and salad for dinner..

I would like to thank everyone for their responses to my questions about complacency. There were many responses that hit home. I will generalize my thoughts so if I don't mention each one of you please don't feel slighted.

A couple of you discussed having experiencing the same kind of problem and that going back to basics and eating right was the way to go. As Cheri pointed out, I do not have a band however; my weight loss success was due to going through the 3 month insurance required physician weight loss program and joining LBT in preparation of becoming banded. I mention this only because, I am very familiar with banded eating and in fact lost my weight trying to emulate banded eating. I tried to visualize what it would be like to have a band and ate as if I was banded.

What I did during that time was to eat ½ of what was a normal meal for me. It was more than 1 cup but much less than I was used to. I didn't exclude anything from my diet, I just ate ½ of it. I found this to be very successful for me and I did not feel deprived. If I wanted something I ate ½ of it.

The other big component of my success was trying to differentiate hunger from head hunger. Before I ate anything, I asked myself if I was hungry of did I just want something. This was truly a revelation for me. I was amazed at how often I ate when I was not even hungry. Oh, I wanted it all right but, I wasn't hungry. Janet couldn't be more right when she says "the brain was the part were the real problem lies.. I changed my brain"

I mention the above because, for me, going back to basics doesn't include a pouch test or eating without drinking. For me, going back to basics means eating ½ a meal and only eating when hungry. So even though I am not banded, going back to basics does mean something to me. Janet is right when she says we all suffer from the same disease. We just have to each find what works for us and use it. For me, it is slightly different than some of you.

Great made a good point "Because when you cross that finish line you still aren't done." For me, in my head, I crossed that finish line when I was under 200. But I am not done. I need to maintain what I have worked so hard for and I need to improve. I have improved through exercise but I need to improve my weight loss too.

Cheri's observation is spot on. However, what happens if you for some reason can't exercise as much or at all? We all are getting older and things happen. Well, unless I made some additional changes, I would start to regain my weight if I had to stop exercising for some reason. I have lost weight before and then regained it. The only thing different this time is the exercise. That is what is keeping me at my current weight. I hope to keep exercising as it makes me feel so much better however; your comment is food for thought. I don't know the answer to your question. I would like to say I would adjust my eating but for now burning the calories works and has a side benefit of strength.

So, I talked to DH and my plan is to go back to eating ½ meals and to keep the head hunger at bay. I asked him to let me know if he sees me taking more than ½ of a meal. He doesn't want to do this because in the past I have told him he needs to think about what he says and how he speaks to people. He doesn't express himself well at times and can be more than blunt, he borders on downright rude. Talk about no filter from the head to the mouth, he takes the prize. He doesn't mean things the way he says them but sometimes he does hurt my feelings. I told him to just say "Sandra" and I will know what he means. I hope by telling him my plan it will make me more accountable. It also helps to write it out and post it. I sometimes have a lot of thoughts in my head but writing them out helps to clarify them.

I meant what I said earlier about there being a collective wisdom here on this thread. You guys are the best.

I would like to thank everyone for their responses to my questions about complacency. There were many responses that hit home. I will generalize my thoughts so if I don't mention each one of you please don't feel slighted.

A couple of you discussed having experiencing the same kind of problem and that going back to basics and eating right was the way to go. As Cheri pointed out, I do not have a band however; my weight loss success was due to going through the 3 month insurance required physician weight loss program and joining LBT in preparation of becoming banded. I mention this only because, I am very familiar with banded eating and in fact lost my weight trying to emulate banded eating. I tried to visualize what it would be like to have a band and ate as if I was banded.

What I did during that time was to eat ½ of what was a normal meal for me. It was more than 1 cup but much less than I was used to. I didn't exclude anything from my diet, I just ate ½ of it. I found this to be very successful for me and I did not feel deprived. If I wanted something I ate ½ of it.

The other big component of my success was trying to differentiate hunger from head hunger. Before I ate anything, I asked myself if I was hungry of did I just want something. This was truly a revelation for me. I was amazed at how often I ate when I was not even hungry. Oh, I wanted it all right but, I wasn't hungry. Janet couldn't be more right when she says "the brain was the part were the real problem lies.. I changed my brain"

I mention the above because, for me, going back to basics doesn't include a pouch test or eating without drinking. For me, going back to basics means eating ½ a meal and only eating when hungry. So even though I am not banded, going back to basics does mean something to me. Janet is right when she says we all suffer from the same disease. We just have to each find what works for us and use it. For me, it is slightly different than some of you.

Great made a good point "Because when you cross that finish line you still aren't done." For me, in my head, I crossed that finish line when I was under 200. But I am not done. I need to maintain what I have worked so hard for and I need to improve. I have improved through exercise but I need to improve my weight loss too.

Cheri's observation is spot on. However, what happens if you for some reason can't exercise as much or at all? We all are getting older and things happen. Well, unless I made some additional changes, I would start to regain my weight if I had to stop exercising for some reason. I have lost weight before and then regained it. The only thing different this time is the exercise. That is what is keeping me at my current weight. I hope to keep exercising as it makes me feel so much better however; your comment is food for thought. I don't know the answer to your question. I would like to say I would adjust my eating but for now burning the calories works and has a side benefit of strength.

So, I talked to DH and my plan is to go back to eating ½ meals and to keep the head hunger at bay. I asked him to let me know if he sees me taking more than ½ of a meal. He doesn't want to do this because in the past I have told him he needs to think about what he says and how he speaks to people. He doesn't express himself well at times and can be more than blunt, he borders on downright rude. Talk about no filter from the head to the mouth, he takes the prize. He doesn't mean things the way he says them but sometimes he does hurt my feelings. I told him to just say "Sandra" and I will know what he means. I hope by telling him my plan it will make me more accountable. It also helps to write it out and post it. I sometimes have a lot of thoughts in my head but writing them out helps to clarify them.

I meant what I said earlier about there being a collective wisdom here on this thread. You guys are the best.

Sandy....your last couple of posts have made me think of Janet's famous saying "They band our stomachs not our brains". I think that even though you are not banded (which has never made a hoot of a difference to any of us), you have had that "Aha moment". You realize what it takes. Are you sure you didn't sneak away and have your brain banded?????

Just wanted to give you a high 5 for all your hard work and for realizing where you want to be. This journey should not be so much about the weight loss we achieve and the numbers on the scale. It should be more about what we set out to do and meeting our own personal goals. A little bump in the road with being complacent can be a learning experience or it can set you on a pattern of bouncing back and forth a few pounds and beating yourself up for not quite getting there. If you are happy and feel healthy where you are right now...more power to ya. But, if you know you have a bit more to accomplish and you get that surge to do more, good for you. Point is....we should all be proud of ourselves for our accomplishments but we should also take our lessons learned by being somewhat lax and getting back on the horse.

I swear I was not going to live another year b/4 I decided to get banded. I was sooooooooooooo on edge going for my annual physicals. Didn't want to even know the numbers. They were bad. My main goal was to be able to walk a mile (get this...I was on the track team in college and ran 6 miles a day. When at my heaviest, it KILLED me to walk 50 yards at the age of 45). Other goals had nothing to do with the scale. More to do with living somewhat of a normal life.

I wanted to live to be a Grandma to my son's children. I wanted to enjoy a retirement with my honey. We had worked our A$es off and really didn't want to leave my guy alone trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life.

Just reflect on what you started out to do...most likely you have accomplished way more than you ever thought with all the exercise and 5K's, etc. But, if you are feeling that you have a bit more to accomplish, just cut out a couple of those Cookies you mentioned.

(I am speaking for all of us here....AGAIN) I am so happy you came back and posted after all those months of lurking. I would see your name at the bottom of the screen and wonder why you just didn't pop in and say "Hi". I got it when you came back and stated that you did not get banded....No shame in that. You are one of us. And, thanks for getting the conversation going today on complacency. It got things going. Looking forward to meeting you in June? and all other fellow thread ppl that I have not met yet.

Sorry, just gotta say it....LOVE YOU ALL... I I am very lucky to have had you all to rely on in some very tumultuous times in my life .and I am so happy..I can FEEL the love!

Apples, It looks like you are not sleeping well yet. I hope that changes soon.

I don't have the words to express how your post made me feel. So emotional, I wanted to cry. Thank you. I was in pretty bad shape too. You are right, I have accomplished more than I thought possible. I like the way I feel and maybe I am being greedy but, I want more. I want to get a TT. Before I get that, I would like to be a size 12. I am a 16 now so I think that is doable if I get my head on straight. I can do it. Thanks again.

Good Morning Gang! It is 35 here this morning. For most of you that is a heat wave......warm hugs going your way. I am not feeling good this morning.....stuffy head.....so Water aerobics is out. I will walk. I walked over a mile last night.....probably why I have a stuffy nose. I will stay on the train today except I had a bowl of oatmeal this morning. I wanted something to warm me up.

Sndy......if you followed the thread you know about my struggle. I jump started last March with a Protein shake diet (medically supervised) for three months. Then I continued to go to nutrition classes for another three months. I have to have several several means of accountability in my journey. LBT, WW, visits to WLS, and bible study. I think a TT is a goal to work towards. You can do this!!! HUGS!!!

Did any of you watch the All Stars on OWN? Dr. Oz said if you are taking Calcium you should take Magnesium with it to keep from getting constipated. I did not know that. There was an overweight family on. He did their blood tests and announced it on the show. They were shocked to find that two out of the four had diabetes. I think he said something like 8 million people in the US are walking around with diabetes and don't know it. I can see how easy that can happen. My friend with the stroke is proof. She is home now, but has six months of rehab before she is able to work.

Okay gang, gotta get going this morning. Have a great day!

Well, The last 3 days has been pure hell. Having relationship issues bigtime and im in a pretty bad depression. I go to see the surgeon today and after that i may go to the hospital to see about getting my head together before surgery. I want to go into this with a clear and happy head. I know you guys aren't "mental health professionals" but i know one thing: You guys are more support than Ive had in years and for that...thank you...to each and every one of you.

I know another thing. There are two sides to every story and i personally know that if my wife was talking on this thread she would have a whole other story to tell too so i will probably keep my relationship issues out of the thread. It works better for me i think and then i dont give you guys the wrong impression or idea's.

I spent a couple days at my sisters. It was refreshing. I got to see some lights come on that have been dark for many many years now.

Jessica i think getting a real face to face friend is going to be very important. I need to do the same thing. Right now though, i feel like im in a dark hole and i dont know how to climb out. Gotta get my head strait before i can do anything or i will just end up running into a brick wall. Im close....very close.

Thank you guys for all your love and support i hope you all have a great week.

I will check in after my surgeon apt.

Laters,

Tina

So my DH was up with my son last night he has the 24hr stomach bug that is going around. What fun. My DH was upset cause with my med I take for my back I slept through most of it and then I snored alot. He said I need to go back to my Cpap machine tonight so I will stop snoring.

Anyways I weighed myself today I am now 261.5 pounds ugghhhh I gained so much with out much in my band and of course my head hunger.

Okay I go to the Dr tomorrow at 4pm I will go get some bowls that some people suggested and items needed to have liquids then mushies and then real food.

I go to work at 3:00pm today till 8:30pm new start right ladies and gentlemen a new start.

Sandy...I'm sleeping pretty good. Just had a couple of nights last week where I did not sleep at all. I get up about 3am each and every night and have a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and milk. Been doing that for a couple of years now. I sit at the computer while I eat and catch up or post.

Truly a new day and a new start for some of you on this thread. Keep your noses to the grindstone and know that we are all here to back each other up. Do your best not to stray off course.

Tina...hugs on your issues with your spouse. Maybe once your meds fully kick in you will see things more clearly. Anxious to hear what you find out from your doc today.

Melissa....hugs also...don't know what to say except make this a new start. Get back to the CPAP. Not wearing it if you need it has to affect your level of energy. It's a well known fact that loss of sleep affects so many things in our lives.

Wishing all of you that are doing a restart in your plan the best of luck. Hugs

Morning ladies,

Once again, some quite revealing and emotional posts. You guys are the best.

It's warmer here today....31 this morning and warming up. I'm going to finish the oleanders and then Ron will be here this afternoon. They say no more freezing temps this week. That's what it's supposed to be like here.

I am drinking my Breakfast today. Protein Drink. I have lunch and snack set up and will be cooking shrimp and veggies for dinner (one pot meal) since I don't have an oven.

I'm on the train today and no excuses. I've thrown away all goodies and left overs or frozen stuff for future meals and will pretend I'm getting banded again. At least this time I'm starting from a lower weight than I've done in the past. Usually I've gained everything I've lost back plus some before I start the process over again. I have gained some weight, but I'm not even close to what I was when I started.

Exercise will be yard work today. I've already taken the hedge trimmer out and trimming those bushes is more work that you can imagine. I'll be sore for a couple of days.

I'm planning a trip to Phoenix either later this week or early next week to go to IKEA. You know there are some things there that just aren't anywhere else.

Off to hedge trimming. Later

Eva

Good Morning Gang - My keyboard at home would work - the mouse did but not the key board and to reboot takes forever ;0)

Charlene - I have mentioned somewhere if I take my Calcium (which has mag in it) before I go to bed at night the next morning - I have no problem with the tmi issue ;0) - I loved the whole as the experts - I watched it last nite - I think I am going to take my calcuim home (i have it here at work) and make sure to take it before bed every nite - cuz that's my NY resolution - Take my Vitimans - took 1/1 - 1/2 and this morning !!!

Sandy - It doesn't matter if you are banded or not - there are plenty of pple who lose 100+ without the benefit of the band and truly its about making changes in our eating & exercise period.

I don't care if you have the band or not - as we all know there are plenty of bander - bypass pple who may lose the weight but gain it all back - why - they didn't make the changes..

WTG on getting back on track...

Charlene - I don't think your oatmeal is going to kill your weight loss plan - LOL on warming you up - plenty of other foods that would have done that LOL eggs are hot too ;0) You just can't have starches at every meal..

Well, I got to get to work - sorry about the drive by - it's cold here too...

Tina - Hugs hope things get better..

I think it's wonderful all the emotional sharing we have been doing. It made me stop and think that I have been feeling some of the same issues and did not even know it. Complacient, cocky and all over the board.

I haven't lost anything in so long, except the same couple of lbs, it's like I'm on maintenance. This summer I was walking so many miles and lost inches but no pounds so I think I just started that cocky attitude that I can eat how I want. Well I haven't been walking like that and those few lbs aren't as easy to get rid of.

My DD left yesterday. I came home and started throwing away the crap that has made it's way into this house. Sent a whole bag of stuff with DS to his GF's. I am off today for my holiday so there are no excuses, I have walked on my treadmill and worked with the exercise ball and will be doing yoga tonight.

The parties over. I will lose these last 18 lbs & I will run that 5k this year.

LauraK