Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Good Morning Gang! Boy, I am sore from last's night pb. My back and right side. Ugh!

Lori, you are a beautiful lady with such a sweet spirit. I think going back to basics will give you a boost of confidence. Perfectionism is what got most of us here. We all have to work on it daily. Oh, I did learn that in nutrition class. HUGS! Get on the train with me.......CHEW! CHEW! I changed the sound because when the food slides right down.....it isn't protein!

Janet, I really want the Baby Grace 3 in one. Do you have any? Does it work good on your hair?

I am off to get ready for church. I think I am supposed to greet this morning so I better so early. I will check in later!

snapback.pngIndioGirl55, on 01 January 2011 - 11:57 PM, said:

Ok as usually trying to get everyones schedules to blend it going to be hard.

So lets do this - I am going to put your name down - quote the post and insert when you can make it to Chi Town..

Apples -

Charlene - Can't commit yet. You decide

Great - prefer the April dates that Cheri mentioned, prefer no holiday weekends, prefer spring/early summer vs later summer/fall

Cheri - April 2-11 I'm off work so that's two weekends. Can do it weekends of June 11 & 18. May be available July 16 or first two weeks in August. Waiting to find out when my niece schedules her wedding.

Laura -

LauraK -

Julie -

Phyl -

Tina -

Eva -

Janet - Open I can go w/the flow (except for 7/15)

Linda -

Joyce -

Sandy - I am open to anytime

Jodi -

Melissa -

Jessica

Meredith- May, or spring/early summer is best. Might be going with my aunt to FL in April and summer time gets crazy around here. But, will be able to adjust schedule to fit it this trip.

Chris

Candice - She's gone for 2 weeks

Am I missing anyone ????

Sandy, yes, I understand how you feel and where you are coming from as that has been where I've been this past year as well -- in fact, almost exactly. In my case, my mind set was on 100 lb. weight loss -- when I hit that I hit a wall although I still have another 10 (as of today) to get to my "normal" bmi. I too exercise every day and have been able to have more food and even some sweets (which yes I like too) and I just stayed and maintained all year. Then for some reason I gained a couple of pounds and my pants were getting tight. I jumpedon the scale and had gained a few - not many -- like 4 or 5 but it was enough to make me uncomfortable. That's when I found the 5 day pouch test and rediscovered my enthusiasm for how we're supposed to be eating again vs. how I had decided to eat. I was eating way too may carbs, had even at times started drinking during meals again, etc. Once I did the 5 day pouch test and stuck to it I felt sooooo much better -- had so much more energy, etc. and I lost that 4-5 lbs. during that time. Since then I have tried very hard to eat correctly and follow all the rules. During Christmas I did as I liked for 5 days. On the 6th day I was really quite nauseous and had the runs from all my eating. I went ahead and did the pouch test again last week and feel better again. I decided that I WILL lose that last 10 - that it IS possible - I just need to follow ALL the rules and stay off the carbs and do it. I truly feel so much better when I follow the plan -- Protein first and no carbs -- just getting back to basics reminded me of why I had surgery in the first place.

Anyway, to wrap it all up, I felt exactly as you do, and I got excited again by just going back to the basics. My goal now is to get to that original goal weight of 132 by my band anniversary on Jan. 26 -- which if I lose 2 lbs. a week will happen.

Arelene, hope you have a wonderful day.

I was up until 3:30 a.m. - could not sleep -- my vertigo came back -- I think I just overdid yesterday. I was very sore and just could not shut my mind/body off enough to go to sleep.

Beautiful day today -- sun is bright -- it's 12 degrees, but I think will warm up to almost 30. Life is good.

I tried to do the post by replying and putting in my availability but I couldn't get it to work.

Lori, yes, you are an incredibly gorgeous woman with wonderful taste. I love the way you dress and you look fabulous in every outfit I saw you in in Vegas.

Lori and Meredith you will both do well -- you've both accompished so much already and you will continue. Lori you've dealt with a lot this year and you handled it well for an addict -- and even though you agreed to move from Denver it did hit you hard - and it happened so fast -- but you are one strong lady.

Okay, time for step aerobics -- then maybe we'll go see True Grit this afternoon. CBL love to you all.

Linda

Good Morning Gang -

My doggies are letting me sleep later in the a.m. plus we are going to bed a little later too ;0) got to sleep in til 7:15.. Getting ready for my 2nd cup of coffee after this post ;0)

Food Yesterday (if I can remember correctly) Ck thigh - tamale - 1/2 sf ice cream - thin slice of lemon cooler cake - popcorn - Threw the cake away this morning - threw the brownies away yesterday today is 1/2 (happy birthday Aunt Dot) back to healthy eating - Will have fish/veggies for dinner Ck salad for lunch and bf got eggbeater yesterday (that's why I made salsa and I like it on my fish too)

Sandy - Nope I can't say I have gotten complacent in my journey - what pushed me the most is that the statistics say that banders will only lose 50 to 60% of their excess weight - That's saying something about my mental capabilities. Cuz imho I got the tool and the brain was the part were the real problem lies.. I changed my brain - You are right about your body changing even though you aren't losing weight - mine has changed w/o lose anymore weight - the muscles change... I won't let myself get to complacent cuz if I did I would eat too much and gain - but gotta say for the most part my body craves healthy food more often than junk and I exercise - Don't always want to but do it cuz I know that if I quit - what will happen..

You may be at your happy weight - bmi charts aren't 100% correct - you could weigh 150 and still be fat - they just go by weight not your physical condition - I take them w/a grain of salt.

I have gym at 10 - then off to get dog/cat food and come home an pay bills ;0(

Work tomorrow and no more 3 day weekends til February - But think I'm taking off 1/28 as the kids are coming for a visit..

Happy - Blessed Sunday

Charlene - I use Wen - I don't use Shampoo - I had sample of baby grace - Pure Grace is my FAV - and Amazing grace is my #2

I use to be a perfume whore ;0) - but to tell you the truth now a days I only like Pure Grace .. My nose has changed..

Apples -

Great - prefer the April dates that Cheri mentioned, prefer no holiday weekends, prefer spring/early summer vs later summer/fall

Cheri - April 2-11 I'm off work so that's two weekends. Can do it weekends of June 11 & 18. May be available July 16 or first two weeks in August. Waiting to find out when my niece schedules her wedding.

Laura -

LauraK -

Julie -

Phyl -

Tina -

Eva -

Linda -

Joyce -

Jodi -

Melissa -

Jessica

Meredith- May, or spring/early summer is best. Might be going with my aunt to FL in April and summer time gets crazy around here. But, will be able to adjust schedule to fit it this trip.

Chris

Am I missing anyone ????

hit reply - or hit multi then add reply it should quote this post - bump

Apples -

Laura -

LauraK -

Julie -

Phyl -

Tina -

Eva -

Linda -

Joyce -

Jodi -

Melissa -

Jessica

Chris

Am I missing anyone ????

I guess I'm junking up the thread now ;0)

Hi i will write more later to explain whats going on. Dont worry im ok and thanks for all your support.

Later,

Tina

Apples - I replied last night...does not matter. Should be able to make any weekend

Laura -

LauraK -

Julie -

Phyl -

Tina -

Eva -

Linda -

Joyce -

Jodi -

Melissa -

Jessica

Chris

Am I missing anyone ????

Hey, gang,......just back from church. I did the greeting in the auditorium. There sure were a lot of people making their New Year's Resolution. The sermon was all about goal setting. Our pastor did the devotional this year for our Pearland 5A State Champion football team. That is a big deal in Texas. Anyway, he said he told them to not forget the important. We seem to do the Urgent because it is right in our face saying" pay attention to ME." and we ingore the important ......like our health, families, and personal goals. It hit home with me concerning food. I am going to set Goals that will improve my spirit, health, and family.

1. Attitude of Gratitude. Thanks!....... to all of you for supporting me through this journey. I can't say that enough times. Thank you!..... for letting me whine and vent. Thank you!..... for just being you!...... that is what makes us such a special group. Thank you!...... Janet for not throwing in the towel! You keep us going!!!

Good morning, almost noon for me.

Thanks so much for the kudos and kind words they meant a lot.

Karen, I went to bed after posting last night so didn't see your post or email to me worried about being blunt. Hope I didn't cause you unnecessary worry. Sometimes we need blunt. Most of your words were right on. I need to deal with these feelings of not good enough once and for all. I think I do well for the most part but then my darn family (you guys know by now when I say family I'm not referring to my kids or husband but extended family as in sisters and mom) will say or do something that all those ingrained things come to the surface again, but each time it gets easier. I've pretty much written my sisters off and the only relationship I have with them now is communication when it pertains to my grandma. The back to basics will start tomorrow.

Janet, I think I have pretty good restriction still if I listen. I started doing things like drinking with meals, eating Protein last, etc. I discovered New Years eve with my lobster that I couldn't even finish a third pound of lobster when I started with Protein first. And I PB'd on one shrimp. And, yes, I can fly anywhere, but it's not always easy. I go standby when there's space, etc. it's not the same as being there but this too I shall get used to.

Arlene, I got something from our sermon today too. it was on disciplne. HMMM, think I need some of that? LOL

Linda, thanks for the kind words and the encouragement about the pouch test. Not sure if I will do it or just protein first and see where that takes me. But your talking about it and getting back to basics has been such an encouragement to me.

Sandy, complacent, yep happened to me. I got to goal, got very comfortable there (well my goal and dr goal which was about 10 lbs than the BMI chart goal), and it was so easy to maintain. So easy in fact I got complacent and allowed more and more treats, etc. Then suddenly I was up 5 lbs and so on. You spend all this time focused on a goal and then you get there and need to change that focus or goal I think. It's a journey and not a race to a finish line. Because when you cross that finish line you still aren't done.

Meredith, thanks for understanding, I think we have had very similar things happen so tomorrow is our day! Let's get back at this!!

Cheri, did you find something to do yesterday? Do you go back to work tomorrow?

Tina, while I understand nothing about mental illnesses etc. I think you've gotten some great advice here. I especially like the advice about starting with a goal like walking little bits, etc. Anxious to hear about your dr appt tomorrow.

Speaking of Dr appts. DD has another one tomorrow where they may do more tests, she's still having contractions pretty regularly. She's now at the 30 week mark. They'd really like her to make it a few more weeks if possible.

Hi guys~

I missed the Chicago decision... Sigh. If it's summer- I will likely not be able to come. We are planning a big trip to Syria & Turkey for last week of June- first week of July. DH will go for 2 weeks and Nelson and I might stay in Turkey for 1-2 more weeks with my GM. It's still in the planning stages, but it will be a busy time for me. If it is in the early spring on a long weekend, then I might be able to come. I've been to Chicago several times, so for me it would be to see my girls. : ) I don't care to shop when traveling- as I can't carry it all back home!

Still stuck on Cheri and "a hard man is good to find". OMW....

peasout............... Laura

Laura, I'm surprised you're the only one who commented on that quip. I have to wonder how many of us shut ourselves down sexually because of our fat. Combine that with menopause and the avoidance of hormones because we're all scared of breast cancer, plus the lack of available men in our lives and disastrous past relationships and its quite understandable. I actually got my libido back a year and a half after my husband left me and I'd had a hysterectomy. I'd been bleeding to death before that on a monthly basis as well as just plain shutting myself down with the divorce trauma. But it started coming back and I had younger girlfriends at the time and went to a sex toys party. Bottom line, I learned to take care of myself sexually and that carried over into my second marriage where it greatly enhanced our sex life. Sex is funny, like farts are funny. We should be able to joke about it. And people don't talk about either one. But both are strong biological componants of our lives. You know how sick you can get trying to keep from farting. Well, we are also prone to shutting that sexual part of ourselves down when we're fat. And even when we're skinny. I admire how open you are with displaying and being proud of your body. Body image is a big problem for us. Fact is, most men don't care that much. Availability and attitude are the key componants. Laughter and enthusiasm and communicating our sexual needs or taking care of them ourselves is very healthy.

I'm thinking the weekend after Easter, April 9th might be a good time for people or the June 11 weekend.

Good evening!Just got home from the football party. I decided to root for Wisconsin since I am from there just to have a team to root for and I must've jinxed them cause they lost. But I gotta tell ya I got the best compliment, that really meant a lot to me. First some background. I was feeling sorry for myself the other night and was watching a TLC show 'What not to Wear'. The gal on there had a very low self esteem and body image issues. It upset DH that I could relate so much to this gal on the show and he commented on how nice I always look. He's not one to give comments like that much and was trying to point out to me my attributes vs what I see as all my flaws. Well tonight when leaving that gal's who's house we were at commented on my winter coat and scarf and said, "I just gotta tell you, you always look so nice and have the nicest clothes and look so put together'. It about blew me away, if I didn't know better I'd have thought DH paid her to say that as it was almost word for word what he said the other night. Anyway it meant so much to hear that. I am always so self concious and thinking others are looking at me and judging me. And I thought I looked pretty frumpy because I wore a red tshirt under a sweater just to wear something red to root for Wisconsin. LOL She also has a daughter that had bypass surgery a week ago and asked me if I'd be interested in meeting her daughter and having lunch with them one day next week. Her daughter is scared of eating out, starting solids when the time comes etc. So maybe I can be sort of a mentor for her. That would be great for me too.

Lori, you do always look put together. I'm sure you did before you lost the weight as well. I've always received compliments for combining colors, style, jewelry, etc. I never felt like I actually looked ugly or fat and frumpy. Big, yes. But still attractive. This is the part of the Love Yourself Thin. Because if you don't love yourself and the way you look, you still won't even after you have the weight off. Witness all our worry about the extra skin. I still can't get over the survey that showed that more women would choose good hair than would choose 10 extra IQ points. Live, Learn, Laugh, and Love Yourself Thin.

I would like to talk about complacency and settling because I think that is what has happened to me. Here is some brief background. My highest weight was 260. I am now 193-195 and have maintained that weight for one year. I have gone from being incapable to do much physically to being able to do anything. I work with a trainer 2 times a week and have learned so much. I ran 3 different 5K runs this fall. In short, physically I feel incredible. I have been able to come off of 3 out of 6 prescriptions I took for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Physically, I look better, feel better and I am greatly improved medically.

BUT….......According to the BMI chart I am still obese. I need to get less than 185 to be considered overweight and 150 or less to be considered normal.

Here is what I think has happened. For so long it was a dream to be less than two hundred pounds. I reached that goal last February. I really pushed hard to get there and the reality of reaching that goal was hard to "wrap my head around". I still saw 260 when I looked in the mirror. I didn't see the changes, I felt them but I just couldn't see them. A big surprise to me was that I found maintaining my weight at 193 to be not very hard to do. With all of the exercise I do, I could pack a little more food in my day or maybe even a sweet or two. AND I LIKE IT.

Over the past year, while maintaining, I have been exercising a lot. Even though my weight loss stopped, the changes in my body didn't. I have lost a pant size even though my weight stayed the same.

The positives of maintaining at 193 for the past year are numerous and I don't mean to discount them. I can now "see" the weight loss and I have become proud of it. When I first got under 200 pounds I was proud but not in the same fashion I am now. I didn't feel as good about myself as I do now. Also, that time gave my head time to catch up to my body. I have gained so much physical strength this last year I still can't believe it. I never, in my wildest dreams, would have believed it possible for me to leg press 175 pounds and do lat pulls at 50 pounds. In short, I feel so alive! I had lost that feeling and didn't think I could get it back. I thought I was destined to live the rest of my life not being able to do things. I couldn't have been more wrong. That is the reason I am so grateful for where I am.

Junking up the thread here and going long.

Back to complacency and settling. These two words describe where I am. While I am grateful for where I am, I realize I am not where I could be. It has become easy to be 193, eat more food and basically feel pretty darn good.

Has this happened to any of you? Are any of you in the same spot as I am now? In your journey, did you become complacent and accepting of where you were to the point of staying? How did you motivate yourself to start reaching for a new goal when you no longer have the physical motivations you once had? By that, I mean, not being able to do things was a huge motivator for me. There isn't anything I can't do anymore so that motivator is gone.

I know I am rambling but I just tried to let my thoughts flow and see where they take me. Am I making any sense?

I know what you mean. I know that you do not have a band so this may be difficult for you to continue. At this point to keep losing you'll have to really cut carbs and probably portions as well. Google the pouch test and see if you think you could manage that without the band to jumpstart your continued weight loss. Meanwhile, continue to love yourself the way you are. You have made tremendous progress and are very healthy now. Forget BMI's. You're healthy. However, what happens if you for some reason can't exercise as much or at all? We all are getting older and things happen. I am loaded with arthritis and have to be very careful how much I exercise and what I incorporate into my exercise. I can't do stretches at all because they overstretch my ligaments and tendons which do not want to return to normal afterwards leaving me very prone to injury. So yoga is a big no no for me. Any weight lifting or exercise above my head puts severe stress on my neck and causes nerve compression. Swinging my arms vigorously during walking causes neck problems. Walking too long causes hip and knee pain. More than the half hour of stair climbing I do at work also gives me hip pain. So, as much as I like exercise, I have to limit it. That means keeping the carbs down and limiting quantity. Avoiding sliders-most of which are full of carbs and fat. Don't rely on the exercise to keep you where you want to be. Take baby steps to start changing your food and you will get there.

Apples -

Laura -prefers the April time but may be able to do it early June as she's going to Turkey late June and early July.

LauraK -can do it any weekend except last weekend in March

Julie -

Phyl -

Tina -

Eva -

Linda -

Joyce -

Jodi -

Melissa -

Jessica

Chris

Am I missing anyone ????

I'm thinking the weekend after Easter, April 9th might be a good time for people or the June 11 weekend. I've combined people's posts. If I got you wrong or missed someone hit reply at the bottom of this post, put in your data, and hit post.

Apples - Anytime

Laura -prefers the April time but may be able to do it early June as she's going to Turkey late June and early July.

LauraK -can do it any weekend except last weekend in March

Julie -

Phyl -

Tina -

Eva -

Linda -

Joyce -

Jodi -

Melissa -

Jessica

Chris

Am I missing anyone ????

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday and ready to get back to a little normalcy tomorrow. Holidays bring so much joy but also stress. Upsets in our daily routine and even boredom and missing our norm. Just enjoy your last day of lazing around.

Arlene...funny how those motivational speeches/sermons can hit home with 90% or or more of the listening group/congregation. You feel like they are speaking directly to YOU. I got in on one a couple of weeks ago in church. The gist of it was to relax and let the things go that we have no control of. As we all know, stress causes anxiety and with that comes a lot of worry. Well it hit home and have been working on not worrying about the unknown. It has helped for me to take that bit of info and work on me. I want to get back to the old me where I more or less took things as they came my way. Some things that happens changes a person and working on "recovering" from the negative things that have happened is the best thing we can do for ourselves. To just look at things as "It is what is is".

Great....no worries. Sometimes posts just don't come across the way they would if you were talking to a person. If you could have "heard" my post in my voice, it was said tenderly and with a lot of love. I don't live your life...I have no reason to be "preachy" with you. Just care an awful lot about each of you guys here and sometimes I read your frustration. A person needs peace in their life and beating ourselves up over getting off track just isn't the answer. Getting back on track is the answer. Not easily done sometimes though. This time of year is the perfect time for a new start. If you go back and read some of the posts over the last month, there is A LOT of food anxiety and worrying about what the holidays will bring when it comes to foods we are exposed to during the holidays. Whew....it's all behind for another year and now onto new goals.

You here that are struggling and getting back on track....make it your goal to have some success to share by the time we get together in Chicago. There's not going to be anyone more proud of your accomplishments than all of us here.

Apples, I'm wondering if you know how to highlight your text and then change the size? When I multiquoted I could only do size or color, so I did size before typing, then highlighted text and changed the color. That should work vice versa.

I figured out multiquoting. Go ahead and hit multiquote on all the posts you want to respond to. Then at the bottom of the last page, hit Add Reply instead of Fast Reply. If you want to respond to only one post, then hit Reply at the bottom of that post.

It's pretty easy to highlight and delete the parts of a long post that you aren't responding to but keep the parts you are.Your response should go after the word "quote" at the end of the post you're responding to. You can pick color or size before typing your response but not both. But when you're done with your response for that post you can highlight your reponse and pick color or size. You can highlight again and pick the other one if it will only let you do one at a time.