Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi everyone, just finished reading all the posts since I was here last.....lots going on.......

Jessica, oh my goodness, I'm so proud of you..... If I had been there I would have cried when you crossed the finish line... When my DD was in high school she ran Cross Country............. I would go to her meets and do just that.... cry when she crossed the line.... I was so proud that she wasn't like me and wasn't hardly able to walk from the car to the course...... I still can't imagine myself doing anything like that.... This is just such an awesome thing for you.... I'm happy to hear just how happy you are with yourself.... you should be.... and your DH and DS, too...... you are a role model for Jake!!!!! Just keep going... the sky's the limit, dearie..... Us Mommas are just so dang proud.......

Sandy and Cheri, I hear you about the parent issues... My mother is only 78, but has had the medical issues that has slowed her down so much... and changed her very much even though she isn't aware of it....the changes are subtle.... I was very lucky a while back when she had to have shoulder surgery and needed help.. I was not able to do it because of my medical limitations, so I thought and thought and finally came up with the idea of asking one of her friends... someone she goes to bible study with..... she is my age and just loves my mother... She is always offering to do things for her so I called to talk to her about it.... She jumped right in.... came and cooked and cleaned and took her places........the whole nine yards..... for free..... She has no children and just her husband who works and fishes all the time..... She loved doing it.....Even though mom doesn't need her anymore they still spend lots of time together and it's a wonderful thing to know someone besides me thinks about her.... Wish something like that could happen for you Sandy..... would be harder with a man I'm sure.... Best of luck with both of you......My mom and I have already had the discussion and she even has nursing home insurance.... She will go when she needs to.... told my brothers that, too, so I hope she keeps her word.... she is pretty feisty sometimes.... or maybe all the time....!!!!

Melissa, so glad you like your job and get the benefits you need.... As for my pain, it's something that just came upon me one day back in August of 2009.... I've had severe pain about 75% of the time since then.... just recently it started to be more constant... I've doctored with every doctor imaginable and had most every test.... Still no one helps me..... they did diagnos Spinal Stenosis in my neck....

Lori, you just take the advice Apples has given you and you will be the perfect hostess....... I was born to entertain I think.... love to have people to the house... so have been doing it many years and just have come to make it second nature;... You will get used to it too if that's what you want.... It's not for everyone.. I have a friend like you... and she just plain hates to cook... I've always wondered how she fed her kids as they were growing up.... she's just a fright about it..... You'll be just fine and you can't go wrong with prime rib or beef roast....... almost any sides will go with it.... baked potatoes or other veggies.... or a salad..... enjoy yourself.....

Apples, it makes my heart happy to hear you say that you are able to get some peace in the church... You need that and leaning on the Lord is a wonderful thing... God Bless you................... We've been having about the same weather as you..... was very cold this morning.... -9 I think....

Oh gosh, I wanted to remember everything from everybody, but I've just lost it now.... can't remember anymore.....sorry.... I need to tell you about me, though.... Haven't had a good few days.... Last I wrote was during Friday night when I couldn't sleep... Well Saturday night was like that, too... I finally woke DH up at 6:00AM and asked him to take me to ER in Bismarck... Go there around 7:00.... Was crying in pain... I had not had any sleep for 48 hours and the severe pain had been constant.... was just at the end of what I could handle... Saw the doctor before too long and he was great..... not like the other ones I've had previously.... He listened, went to check my complete history with all my other doctors and then came back to explain what he was doing and why.. I got three different medications through IV and then had to stay awhile to make sure it helped..... I got morphine, tramodal, and solumedrohl..... He told me that he felt the rhuemotologist was on top of things and he expects me to be better soon... trouble is the rhuemotologist that I saw hasn't gotten back to me yet with results of the more in depth blood work... He saw it on my records and called it something other that Sjogren's..... it was three words with one of them starting with rhuemo.....somthing.... I am to make an appointment with this doctor asap..... He gave me more hope than anyone has lately.... So, we came home and I did sleep for awhile, but not all day like I had hoped.. I wrapped a few Christmas gifts and then rested some more... The pain has come back this evening but have been coping with it... I am hopeful that I can sleep at least some tonight... Will call all the doctors tomorrow and get the ball rolling on this new track..... I want to thank you all for being so concerned for me and for all your suggestions... I do agree that I think I'm no longer getting any help from the hydrocodone... tried just doing liquid tylenol tonight.... But it isn't the meds keeping me from sleeping, it's the pain...... the pain is horrid...... Isn't Xanax for those who suffer with panic attacks and such... I remember my DD having to take it when she was so sick back in high school..... I am on Cymbalta as an anti-depressant, but not sure I need it.... I already take a muscle relaxor and anti-inflammatory..... way too much medication if you ask me... I should feel way better than I do with all that sh__ in my system..... anyway, thanks again for caring.... I'm going to keep plugging away...can't do much else, but give up and what good would that do..... I don't need perfection but would sure like to have a break from this again...... I really didn't eat much the last few days at all... my taste buds are so screwed up..... I lost 2 more pounds so that's good if it stays off.....

Well, I'm going to try to go to bed in my bed tonight instead of sitting up waiting for the pain to go away... I'll put ice and heat on and hope for the best... Hugs and prayers for you all.... so sorry if I didn't comment on something important... it's the drugs..... sweet dreams to you all.... Julie

Hello everyone! Hope all of you had a wonderful weekend.

I read everything (2 pages) but will post a quickie. I'm sleepy.

Yesterday I went to the Dr to find out what the plan is with my band. Here it is.... We are going to see if it will correct itself and start working for me again the way it was. Last time I went he let most of the Fluid out and I no restriction. Well, yesterday he filled me to 5 cc's and indeed I am feeling more restriction now! Maybe it did fix itself? We did discuss surgery in the future just in case it doesn't fix. I'm not really hungry and ate about 800 cal yesterday and today. Will get on the scale tomorrow and see whats going on since Sat. My ankle is still bothering me and I need to exercise very badly. I'm going tomorrow night. No excuses.

I was wondering what you guys thought about Overeaters Anonymous? I think I'm going to try it tomorrow. Just to see. My problem is that I'm a compulsive eater. Apparently this group helps with dealing with that. I was going to sign up for WW, but I don't think that is for me right now. I know what to eat and what not to eat and all of that, it's just I get compulusive and justify it in my brain and then not even care and eat whatever it is anyways. Then, after I eat it I feel terrible guilt and, I'm sure you know the drill.

Great~ I feel the same about having people over. I completely understand. I'm a good cook and I still don't like the thought of having people here. I feel like I'm being judged too. Last time I had people for dinner I made a lasagna (i have a VERY easy recipe if you want it) garlic bread and salad. Everything could be made ahead and I just popped it in the oven when everyone got here.

Sandy~ We are in the same boat with my 90 y.o. grandma. I asked a friend who needed extra money if she was interested in going over and helping my grandma a few times a week. She was a great choice because she works at an assisted living place anyhow. Good luck to you.

Laura~ You would freeze you tail off here too! Our first "big" snow today and tonight its supposed to get bitterly cold with whipping winds. Anyhow, I am going to be in Naples sometime in April. I will let you know exact dates as it gets closer. I'm sure I could borrow my aunts car to meet you or whatever.

Apples~ Girl, I give you credit going out in that bitter cold! EEK! Bundle up sister!

Jewel~ You go girl!!!! So happy for you and your 5k! Nice job! Can't wait to see the difference between now and the one in 6 weeks. I think you will amaze yourself yet again!

Cheri~ I started to read your post and got emotional and couldn't read anymore. I love old people and the part where you were talking about singing and the piano and the kids.....

Janet~ I graduated with my bachelors in Interdisciplinary Studies with a minor in Nonprofit Sector Studies. Now I am taking prereq's to get into the Physician Assistant program. However, now, I cannot apply until next Feb, so I am thinking about maybe starting another masters program in health and human services and administration. We will see where the wind blows me!

Ok, thats all for now.

Good nite!

Meredith

Melissa, so glad you like your job and get the benefits you need.... As for my pain, it's something that just came upon me one day back in August of 2009.... I've had severe pain about 75% of the time since then.... just recently it started to be more constant... I've doctored with every doctor imaginable and had most every test.... Still no one helps me..... they did diagnos Spinal Stenosis in my neck....

I need to tell you about me, though.... Haven't had a good few days.... Last I wrote was during Friday night when I couldn't sleep... Well Saturday night was like that, too... I finally woke DH up at 6:00AM and asked him to take me to ER in Bismarck... Go there around 7:00.... Was crying in pain... I had not had any sleep for 48 hours and the severe pain had been constant.... was just at the end of what I could handle... Saw the doctor before too long and he was great..... not like the other ones I've had previously.... He listened, went to check my complete history with all my other doctors and then came back to explain what he was doing and why.. I got three different medications through IV and then had to stay awhile to make sure it helped..... I got morphine, tramodal, and solumedrohl..... He told me that he felt the rhuemotologist was on top of things and he expects me to be better soon... trouble is the rhuemotologist that I saw hasn't gotten back to me yet with results of the more in depth blood work... He saw it on my records and called it something other that Sjogren's..... it was three words with one of them starting with rhuemo.....somthing.... I am to make an appointment with this doctor asap..... He gave me more hope than anyone has lately.... So, we came home and I did sleep for awhile, but not all day like I had hoped.. I wrapped a few Christmas gifts and then rested some more... The pain has come back this evening but have been coping with it... I am hopeful that I can sleep at least some tonight... Will call all the doctors tomorrow and get the ball rolling on this new track..... I want to thank you all for being so concerned for me and for all your suggestions... I do agree that I think I'm no longer getting any help from the hydrocodone... tried just doing liquid tylenol tonight.... But it isn't the meds keeping me from sleeping, it's the pain...... the pain is horrid...... Isn't Xanax for those who suffer with panic attacks and such... I remember my DD having to take it when she was so sick back in high school..... I am on Cymbalta as an anti-depressant, but not sure I need it.... I already take a muscle relaxor and anti-inflammatory..... way too much medication if you ask me... I should feel way better than I do with all that sh__ in my system..... anyway, thanks again for caring.... I'm going to keep plugging away...can't do much else, but give up and what good would that do..... I don't need perfection but would sure like to have a break from this again...... I really didn't eat much the last few days at all... my taste buds are so screwed up..... I lost 2 more pounds so that's good if it stays off.....

Well, I'm going to try to go to bed in my bed tonight instead of sitting up waiting for the pain to go away... I'll put ice and heat on and hope for the best... Hugs and prayers for you all.... so sorry if I didn't comment on something important... it's the drugs..... sweet dreams to you all.... Julie

Julie - I pray you can get an answer soon and they put you on the right meds so you will get some relief. What about it being fibromyalgia? My MIL has that and I know it is a body wide pain. I am no Dr just putting in my two cents. Anyways I am a big googler when it comes to finding information out. I am just a person or patient rather that needs to know. I had a DR once tell me medicine is a guess. And you know for Dr I think it is they ask questions to weed things out but if we present them with a problem they know nothing about then it stumps them and I think some Dr get scared.

On the Xanax issue that does help with panic attacks. But there is other meds out there that help and are longer acting. I tried Cymbalta but that did not work for me I am on Seroquel and Pristiq with something else I forget the name and so far this combination has helped. I was on Lexapro and Welbrutin for a couple of years but then my body got used to it and we had to switch. So right now I am taking 3 meds to help with the three different chemicals in your brain that deal with depression and Panic attacks. I hope my info helps. Julie take care of yourself and again I really hope and pray you can get relief soon.

I was wondering what you guys thought about Overeaters Anonymous? I think I'm going to try it tomorrow. Just to see. My problem is that I'm a compulsive eater. Apparently this group helps with dealing with that. I was going to sign up for WW, but I don't think that is for me right now. I know what to eat and what not to eat and all of that, it's just I get compulusive and justify it in my brain and then not even care and eat whatever it is anyways. Then, after I eat it I feel terrible guilt and, I'm sure you know the drill.

Good nite!

Meredith

Meredith, I was going to OA for a while then all my job crap got in the way i was looking to going back cause it help to be around people who had eating issues. I would say I am a compulsive eater as well. I forgot who it was but someone on this board was talking to me about it. You can go online and get information about meetings and they will send you information as well. I think it is hard for people like our group because our addiction is food and we need food to live unlike people who are in NA or AA who can just put themselves in an enviroment that does not contain the Drugs or Alcohol. I know in OA that is a book and a workbook basically it is the same 12 steps like AA.

I did find it informative and like I said once I get settle into my new job I going to get myself back together with a plan of attack to get myself under control and losing again. I have a couple of more days of orientation and then I start working in my dept most likely Thurs so then I will know more of what is expected of me.

Hi everyone! Was invited to join you by Indiogirl55 when searching for a mentor. I am fairly new here (11/23) and haven't officially started my journey yet. I start my preop today, have all my tests done on Wednesday, and am scheduled to be banded on 12/27. I'm pretty excited and very much mentally prepared for the preop (of course it doesn't hurt that my husband volunteered to basically follow it with me :D ).

I'm 29 - will be 30 tomorrow. I've been heavy as long as I can remember. I'm the "healthy fat girl" if that even makes sense. But it's not hard to be "healthy" when you're young. It's this excess weight that could kill me though in the long run. I have an excellent support group - but am dreading breaching the subject with the dad again. He is basically against ALL surgeries. I have to though, before surgery. I think he deserves to know.

Anyway, wanted to tell you a little about me. I look forward to getting to know you guys and your stories

Hi everyone! Was invited to join you by Indiogirl55 when searching for a mentor. I am fairly new here (11/23) and haven't officially started my journey yet. I start my preop today, have all my tests done on Wednesday, and am scheduled to be banded on 12/27. I'm pretty excited and very much mentally prepared for the preop (of course it doesn't hurt that my husband volunteered to basically follow it with me :D ).

I'm 29 - will be 30 tomorrow. I've been heavy as long as I can remember. I'm the "healthy fat girl" if that even makes sense. But it's not hard to be "healthy" when you're young. It's this excess weight that could kill me though in the long run. I have an excellent support group - but am dreading breaching the subject with the dad again. He is basically against ALL surgeries. I have to though, before surgery. I think he deserves to know.

Anyway, wanted to tell you a little about me. I look forward to getting to know you guys and your stories

Welcome Swan asked any questions we are all here for you. It is awesome you have such a wonderful support group. Your Dad should come around if you explain to him why you need to do this. But remember most of all you are doing this for yourself. Unfortunately some of us have people in our lives who will never understand others have chose not to tell certain people.

Ask anything you want there are people on this board from all walks of life and all stages of their journey :D

Welcome Swan! I hope you are up for a lot of advice and tough love here. That is how we all stay on track. Have you started your pre-op diet? Get a pedometer and start walking. It will really help you heal after surgery........moving after surgery helps get rid of the gas. You will do great. I am so glad you have taken control of your weight issue before you get older. The band is a tool to help you lose. I is the magic pill that will fix all your weight problems. If you have questions there are plenty of seasoned banders here to help.

Julie, you poor baby. I hope you get to the the rheumotalogist soon. That is a painful condition. Xanax helps calm the nerves. I sometimes take it when the weather is changing. I took it everyday for 10 years for my gut until my doctor sent me to a psychiatrist. I was having panic attacks caused by the Savella. Now I am on Lexapro and Savella (for FM). If you have an autoimmune condition the doctor will have to give you meds to treat the condition for you to get relief. I hope you get in soon to see him. HUGS! and I am praying for you too.

Cher, so many hard decisions to be made for your parents. I think organizing and getting rid of their "stuff" they don't use would be a first step. I am going to go do that for my mother soon. So many of us at our age are dealing with the same issues. My inlaws were in the country when they both got cancer. He refused to move. They both died in the hospital so we didn't have to deal with moving them. My mother..... when she was still able moved to a retirement home . She will soon need to go to assisted living. That is why I need to start clearing out her "stuff". Can you sister who is the doctor talk to them? HUGS! for you and all of you faced with this ordeal.

I am going to Water aerobics this morning. It is freezing outside, but I gotta exercise. I will CBL.

Okay lets here the tough love

My lowest on the band was 211 then my head freaked out and I gained.

Thought I needed a fill then was too tight and ate sliders and dealt with acid reflux and gained

Dr took out half of my Fluid in my band because I was too tight and my stomach was swollen and he worried I would have a band slip. And I have gained more weight.

So I went from 211 to 253 as of this morning. I am kind of upset with myself but it is my doing with all the job stress of the several months. Lay Off, then New Job that sucked, then now a knew job which I think it will keep be very busy (which is a good thing) and not exercising I did this to myself (so maybe upset is not the right word since I did this and I really did know what I was doing)

So today is a NEW day I need to exercise and eat consciously. I am about to go to work so just wanted so prayers or love today from you all to help me with my personal demon battle.

I love you all and your friendship has meant so much too me through all of my good times and bad.

Welcome Swan....just wanted to wish you the best as you start this new phase of your life. It really is life changing and in a very positive way. The only advice I have for you to is follow your doc's advice and orders what he expects of his LB patients. It's so important to get into that frame of mind. Put your nose to the grindstone and follow the rules. It will make it so much easier down the road. Determination and planning are the things that kept me on track. Another thing that helped me immensly was to be very diligent about keeping a daily food journal. And, if I was close to going over my allowed calories for the day, I was done eating for the day. It helps to keep a person accountable. Now that I am in the maintenance mode, I no longer journal. But, keeping that journal for over a year taught me how to eat and how to eventually fit into eating in a healthy manner each day. I also weighed and measured my food to be sure of what I was putting in my face. I no longer have the need to weigh and measure.

Fire away with any questions you might have. As 1 Day stated, there's ppl here in all stages of the journey that can give you advice (sometimes whether you want it or not.....we are kind though).

Stay strong during your pre-op diet. It's all worth it. It sets the tone for what is to come and we will be looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

Okay lets here the tough love

My lowest on the band was 211 then my head freaked out and I gained.

Thought I needed a fill then was too tight and ate sliders and dealt with acid reflux and gained

Dr took out half of my Fluid in my band because I was too tight and my stomach was swollen and he worried I would have a band slip. And I have gained more weight.

So I went from 211 to 253 as of this morning. I am kind of upset with myself but it is my doing with all the job stress of the several months. Lay Off, then New Job that sucked, then now a knew job which I think it will keep be very busy (which is a good thing) and not exercising I did this to myself (so maybe upset is not the right word since I did this and I really did know what I was doing)

So today is a NEW day I need to exercise and eat consciously. I am about to go to work so just wanted so prayers or love today from you all to help me with my personal demon battle.

I love you all and your friendship has meant so much too me through all of my good times and bad.

Well Melissa...you've got the love from all of us and I think you have been kicking yourself around enough the last few months so that is something you really don't need from us. In order to be successful and get back on the LB wagon, you are going to need to let some of that go (beating yourself up) and get into a positive frame of mind. Boohooing will get you nowhere.

Here comes the tough love.....GET YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES ON!!!!!! Leave the mistakes of the last few months behind you and somehow....anyway you can....find the part of you that was able to stick to this and take off the weight in the beginning of this journey. Get rid of certain ways of thinking. Example: Eating because of stress, eating sliders because of being too tight, eating because of a new job, eating certain things because DH and DS bring them into the house. Stop THAT way of thinking and replace it with postive ways. Example: I WILL NOT eat because I am stressed, I WILL NOT eat sliders (I will go and take care of problem at hand with my doc), I WILL NOT give myself the right to screw up just because I have a new job, I WILL NOT eat those trigger foods just because they are in my house (alternative is to toss them in the trash....pretend you are Janet).

Nothing would make me more happy than to pop on here in two weeks to see a post from you that says "I have stuck to this new plan and have not waivered for two weeks and I am seeing results"....now, that would bring tears to my eyes. Get back on that old horse and start riding. Was that tough enough love???? Love ya and sending hugs.

OK....Let's get started on the two week plan....hurry up....let's go...come on Melissa....time to start.

Morning... I have an update on me and my pain...... I was able to reach the rhuemotologist's nurse and told her what was happening... I have a 2:30 appt...... Yeah!!!! I also have a 10;00 appt with my NP here in Washburn... Need to talk to her about meds and such..... So, I have to run, but have to be careful... another long night without any sleep.... I'm hurting so bad and am so miserable.....Something has to give soon.... Talk to you all later... Keep your fingers crossed for me, please.... I need all the good thoughts I can get.... Hugs........ Julie

Miricle Monday!!!! Font, colors and size are all working. I feel like I'm back home. Maybe things are on the up swing with this site???????

TX...how you doing....time to check in. We're curious women and just "gotta know" how our guy is doing. How's Debbie doing with all the changes in the household? It's gotta be good for both of you since you are now both banded?

Julie....I wish for you to find the ONE doctor that would study your case. Strip it all down to the beginning and start over. Take all meds away and be knowlegable enough to put you on the meds needed and get rid of the mish-mash of this that and the other meds all the other docs have you on. You are our LB Sister and we care for your well-being. This rollercoaster ride has you not know which way to turn and who to turn to. I truly believe that most of your doctors have done you wrong. But now you need to take the reins and find that one doc and push for a more functional way of living. You just cannot make this your way of life and accept what comes from 10 different doctors. Push for those answers. Make it your mission. Hugs.

Busy day. Tax appt., visiting a friend later today that just got a new job after being laid off for 18 months and anxious to hear how it is going. Even room for advancement once another position opens up in a few months. She deserves the break. Don't know how she kept it all together but she's strong and now so happy. Great Christmas gift. Also have some housecleaning to be done. Have Christmas with our little family on Sunday and want to be prepared ahead of time. First year with our "fake" grandchildren and I can hardly breath with all the excitement. I could have gone way overboard on the gifts, stocking stuffers, etc., but didn't. Appropriate gifts for what they are into and interested in. Have a fun day of letting them cook the meal (they got to pick out the menu) and MAKING the adults eat what they cook. Have a line up of age appropriate board games, etc. Could it be? Could I maybe be a real "fake" grandma in the near future????? No pushing on my part but, oh my.

Good news, Meredith. Hoping your band works the way it should from here on out and they don't have to tweek it any. Take good care of it.

Better get busy and run my tax reports and get on with my day. Hope everyone has a great week.

Yeah, Apples figure out how to get her green back! LOL And Julie is hopefully going to get a diagnosis and plan of attack for her pain today! 1Day is going to stop making excuses and getting back on the 'band'wagon. It's a good day!

We are having a warm front they call it move through yesterday and today and it's been so nice. That foggy inversion stuff is gone and it's bright and sunny and the snow is melted. Though they say more is on the way on Wed. So enjoying while I can. I don't even mind the snow so much as that awful inversion. I think I have a plan for my dinner on Sat. night. I am going to the store today and seeing what they have prime rib at and will pick one of those up. Sounds like both couples are coming. Then I made it even worse on myself last night, figured I'd get it all out of the way at once. We go to a small home group through the church we go to on Sunday nights, I offered to host our little Christmas party next Sunday night. I figured the house will be clean, etc. everyone is bringing 'hearty' hor d' ourves (what the heck is that?) and I just have to host it. In Denver I hosted a small group at our house every Wed. night. It was easy as I basically just had it everyone else provided the treats, etc. It's not that I think of myself as a bad cook. I am not fond of cooking and just know how to do basic every day things, nothing fancy for entertaining. And worry about what if conversation lulls, what if everyone has a bad time, etc.

Julie, I hope you get the answers you need. Was this dr through mayo? or will you be going back to them?? Anxious to hear a report later today.

1Day, so glad you are getting back on track. Forgive yourself and move on. Beating yourself up and making excuses will just result in the scale going in the wrong way. We are all human and all slip up from time to time, it's how we handle those slips that will determine our success going forward. Congrats on the new job. You called it Sam's is that like Sam's Club?? If so, DS works for Walmart and they have been so good to him.

Swan, welcome! You will find lots of help and advice here. The most important being follow what your dr tells you to do. As you will discover many docs have different theories as far as pre op diets go, fills go, etc. You are so smart in taking care of this now. I was a healthy fat person too. I didn't have a weight issue til my 20's and then always felt I was okay because I was healthy. Well it wasn't til my 40's that the health issues appeared and they were directly related to my being so overweight for so long. I developed high blood pressure, and wore out both my knees. As for telling your dad, don't tell him til after if you don't think he'll be supportive. That's what I did, I told my folks afterwards. I had enough on my mind going in for surgery and I didn't need my mom's negativity to add more stress to me. I didn't tell them til the weight loss was noticeable. Only my kids and husband knew.

Meredith, what are interdisciplinary studies and nonprofit sector studies? Congrats on your degrees by the way!

Arlene, how's the Water? LOL

Yeah, Apples figure out how to get her green back! LOL And Julie is hopefully going to get a diagnosis and plan of attack for her pain today! 1Day is going to stop making excuses and getting back on the 'band'wagon. It's a good day!

We are having a warm front they call it move through yesterday and today and it's been so nice. That foggy inversion stuff is gone and it's bright and sunny and the snow is melted. Though they say more is on the way on Wed. So enjoying while I can. I don't even mind the snow so much as that awful inversion. I think I have a plan for my dinner on Sat. night. I am going to the store today and seeing what they have prime rib at and will pick one of those up. Sounds like both couples are coming. Then I made it even worse on myself last night, figured I'd get it all out of the way at once. We go to a small home group through the church we go to on Sunday nights, I offered to host our little Christmas party next Sunday night. I figured the house will be clean, etc. everyone is bringing 'hearty' hor d' ourves (what the heck is that?) and I just have to host it. In Denver I hosted a small group at our house every Wed. night. It was easy as I basically just had it everyone else provided the treats, etc. It's not that I think of myself as a bad cook. I am not fond of cooking and just know how to do basic every day things, nothing fancy for entertaining. And worry about what if conversation lulls, what if everyone has a bad time, etc.

Julie, I hope you get the answers you need. Was this dr through mayo? or will you be going back to them?? Anxious to hear a report later today.

1Day, so glad you are getting back on track. Forgive yourself and move on. Beating yourself up and making excuses will just result in the scale going in the wrong way. We are all human and all slip up from time to time, it's how we handle those slips that will determine our success going forward. Congrats on the new job. You called it Sam's is that like Sam's Club?? If so, DS works for Walmart and they have been so good to him.

Swan, welcome! You will find lots of help and advice here. The most important being follow what your dr tells you to do. As you will discover many docs have different theories as far as pre op diets go, fills go, etc. You are so smart in taking care of this now. I was a healthy fat person too. I didn't have a weight issue til my 20's and then always felt I was okay because I was healthy. Well it wasn't til my 40's that the health issues appeared and they were directly related to my being so overweight for so long. I developed high blood pressure, and wore out both my knees. As for telling your dad, don't tell him til after if you don't think he'll be supportive. That's what I did, I told my folks afterwards. I had enough on my mind going in for surgery and I didn't need my mom's negativity to add more stress to me. I didn't tell them til the weight loss was noticeable. Only my kids and husband knew.

Meredith, what are interdisciplinary studies and nonprofit sector studies? Congrats on your degrees by the way!

Arlene, how's the Water? LOL

First of all, don't worry about the conversation or if it lulls....Great trick....everyone loves talking about their kids or their pets. There's always that question to ask. That could fill up an entire evening with some ppl. Just be gracious and listen. Be prepared for "brag books" pulled out of purses. Try not to yawn as the stories of their pets and children go on and on and on.....

You asked about drinks. Depending on how many ppl you are serving....pick up 3-4 bottles of wine to serve. No wine glasses? Good time of year to get a good deal on some. Other than that, just have ice Water in some goblets on the table and a pitcher of water ready for refills.