Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Jessica, congratulations! Awesome job. Think back a year would you, in your wildest dreams, thought you would run a 5K? That is such a huge accomplishment.

I haven't posted in a few days. I have been very busy physically and emotionally. I got a call at work on Thursday that my 85 year old Dad had fallen and was being taken to the hospital. Well, the good news is, even though he broke his arm, the break does not require surgery. They sent him home with a sling and vicodin. It has been an emotional time for me. It is difficult watching a parent become helpless. I know, I know, it is just a broken arm. Unfortunately, he isn't acting like it is just a broken arm. He is acting like he had major surgery. Granted he is 85 and in a lot of pain. The bruising is just starting to come to the surface. I am just torn. Yesterday he was able to get himself up from the chair and the couch, which he hadn't done since the break, so he is making progress in his independence. He has been independent until this point and I hope he can regain that independence. He has lived by himself and has fought giving up the house. He won't hear of assisted living and he doesn't want to come live with me. The doctor says it will be 3 weeks until physical therapy can start and 6 weeks before the bone heals.

What I am struggling with is where to find a person to come by in the daytime to give him a hand and whether or not he will even accept having someone come in. I guess we will just have to sit him down and talk to him. I can stay home from work a little longer but I, like all working people, can't stay home forever. Has anyone been through this? Where do I start to look for day care help?

I apologize for unloading on all of you. I am just not sure what to do.

Sandy...was wondering if you had something going on....you certainly do. Are there any "Adult Daycare" around you? We are just a little rural community and have them so there's gotta be something like that around you. Other than that, can you apply for "Home Health Care"? I think if it gets to the point where it is an all day, the family needs to hire a full-time person. I imagine your father needs help getting up and down each and every time? You poor girl...I can imagine that you are beside yourself....especially if he is not willing to be out of his home. The only way I would know to start looking for the Home Health Care would be to call you County Health Services or look them up on the internet. Hugs.

Good Morning to All.....still windy but no longer snowing. Cannot read what the temp is this morning as the outside part of our system blew away. If it could talk, it would say it is "Colder than crap". Have not decided if I am going to brave it to go out to church. Not sure if I mentioned but "Sun porch Church" just wasn't doing it for me....like it had for the last 15 yrs. This year has really tested me (to the max) and I wanted some place I could go. Well, started going to this church just get an hour of peace that I cannot seem to get here. I actually look forward to it every week. The killer stress seems to wane a bit.

OK...off to make Breakfast and decide if I want to brave the cold. If not, I am sure it's another day of being stuck in the house. Don't think I can do this much longer. You all have a nice Sunday.

Soooooo....went and looked up the weather. Not bad compared to yesterday. Only 5 below zero with a wind chill factor of 24 below zero. Balmy...heading to church!

Soooooo....went and looked up the weather. Not bad compared to yesterday. Only 5 below zero with a wind chill factor of 24 below zero. Balmy...heading to church!

Karen~OMW!!!! That is cold!!!!! I think I would just plain freeze to death there!:chillpill: Ha ha... couldn't find any emoticons for cold weather, but I found a chill pill. Not that you need one. Brrr. Well, please know that if you can't wait until AZ, you have an open invitation to Florida! Guest room is ready. I will even heat the jacuzzi for you! Today it's getting up to 74. But then another cold front tomorrow : ( Down to 30s. pssssst.... p.s. Thanks for the carepackage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nelson hit the JACKPOT!!!

Regarding the font issue. For some reason when I use regular Explorer I am having issues, but when I use Google Chrome it does better. Hmmm... Not sure why. Did I tell you guys I hate the changed to LBT?:hurt:

Jessica~ WTG on the 5k! What a great achievement! And good luck on the exams! They will be over before you know it.

Julie~ Hope you are feeling better today. Have you ever tried Melatonin? I started taking it a few months ago and it really works. You have to get one that dissolved under your tongue b/c if swallowed it won't get absorbed. I had bought it for DH when he was traveling overseas, but it was buy one- get one free. Now I take one every night. And I think you might be building a tolerance to the narcotics. Since you have pain anyway even when you take it, try going a couple days without taking it. You might find that you aren't have as much rebound pain. Just take tylenol or advil instead. Just an idea.

Janet~ So proud of you for working out like you do. You are such a positive motivation for us. I actually went for a 10 mile bike ride after reading your post yesterday! (I put my bike in 10th gear and even do that up hills.) My legs feel like Jello today from the quivering. I need to get back to the gym on my regular basis. My trainer got a FT job at the Y as the wellness director.

: ( So now I need to find someone new.

Melissa~ Congrats on the new job!!! So happy for you! I hope it provides all the stability you need to find happiness in your life. I've heard they have great benefits.

Cheri~ Hope you had a nice party. I hope you didn't overdo it by cleaning though. I loved your idea for food- have everyone bring something.

Lori~ Glad you had a good time with DD. So exciting that she is so far along now and showing!!! Yeah!

So I am getting really excited about my family coming down for Christmas!!! I am proposing a different kind of Christmas dinner. (not sure how everyone will react). I am thinking of doing a New England seafood dinner. You can order lobster, shrimp and steamers- they come alive, shipped overnight! I will have to make some fried calamari for Nelson (it's the only seafood he will eat!)

ok. I need to get some work done. DH is on call all weekend and it has me off schedule.

peasout..Laura

Good Morning

WTG Jessica !!!! You have so much to be proud of..

Sandy - Hugs on your Dad - I stayed w/my parents and they did have someone come in and stay too - Look in the telephone book - I know that here in the desert they have pple who will come and ck on the elderly..

Apples - I don't think I could live in that weather - You DS GF 5 yr old is just to frigging cute and smart !!!

Charlene - It's the cold weather - you know how it affects your band - and the band was telling you that you ate one bite to many - I know I get pissed off at mine at time when I want to eat more and can't - then I think - this is why you got it Janet..

Great - I knew you were visiting w/DD Glad you had a good time..

Laura - WTG Girl !!!! Riding your bike - yep if this old lady can you can too - but again I don't have to find the time - since I am an empty nester - I have all the time in the world :0)

It's not like I have to juggle kids & work - So glad I am done w/kid duty - Had to go drop of property taxes for the Ranches on Thursday - had to drive by 2 schools in the a.m. when kids were getting dropped off - and all I could think was - I'm sure glad that's not me anymore...

I have 3 internet servers on my computer - regular - chrome - foxfire - sometime foxfire doesn't let me change - but right now it is - who friggin knows - but I know that with these changes - I think pple are on here less - I can find our there and my other 2 but - not recent post - so if I post on a newbies question - I don't know how to get back there and I sure and the heck ain't going to remember- I guess if we learned on this forum it would be ok - but I think the other had some better items..

Well yesterday - got some of my Xmas shopping done - not that I have much - but have gf at work - but still spent alot of $$ and I shopped marshalls & target - well I got me some candles - I am a candle person ;0).. Came home made some collard greens & ribs - Andrew came by between Jobs ;0) fixed him some mac & cheese (didn't eat any cuz it was sponge bob and I didn't like the tastes of the pasta) Read - watched t.v. and washed some clothes -

This morning have gym at 10 - then forgot coffee at Target - I have a keguig (sp) and I like strong coffee - Emeril bold - have the thingie to use your own coffee - but it's a mess to clean and doesn't come out strong enough for my taste..

Have Phyl & Earl & Zoey coming over this afternoon for a visit and dinner - so need to run the vacuum too :0)..

Food yesterday

Popcorn - bbq ck - broc - collard greens - 2 bites of ribs - cup of s/f ice cream 180 cal - 1 sf pudding...

Menu today - pt shake pre gym - ck cacatorrie (sp) salad - greek yogurt cream cheese dessert ..

Janet....yum on yesterday's menu and todays. I love cooked greens and spinach. I love them cold with vinegar or malt vinegar on them. A few sprinkles of chopped black olives and I think I have died and gone to heaven. Have fun with the "Snowbirds". We are looking forward to being just like them in a few weeks.

Melissa...so happy you are excited about your job and good to hear that the company has added benefits. Hope you just love it to death. You deserve it. You also deserve to have some success with your eating. See if you can coincide a new start here with the start of your new job. Pack your lunch...don't let things/stress throw you off. You did that first half of your weightloss...time for you to start feeling good about getting the second half off. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!! We will be your cheerleaders. Go, Melissa, GO!!!!!!!

It has been an emotional time for me. It is difficult watching a parent become helpless. I apologize for unloading on all of you. I am just not sure what to do.

Sandy - can I just say my parents getting older scares me granted they are both in there mid 60's but my dad had a stroke in 95 and since then I worry cause he works a phyiscally hard job and when I see him on his off days he can barely walk - bad knees, arthritis. So I understand how you feel. I know it is not the same age wise but I guess I always thought of my dad as a can do anything my hero and then my hero got sick and so I worry. I am a daddy's girl always have been. My Mom and I got closer after she had bypass then I had the LB 8 years later so we are close as well. Anyways I understand.

Melissa...so happy you are excited about your job and good to hear that the company has added benefits. Hope you just love it to death. You deserve it. You also deserve to have some success with your eating. See if you can coincide a new start here with the start of your new job. Pack your lunch...don't let things/stress throw you off. You did that first half of your weightloss...time for you to start feeling good about getting the second half off. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!! We will be your cheerleaders. Go, Melissa, GO!!!!!!!

Apples - thanks for the support. I am planning on a new start I go shopping today. I CAN DO THIS!!!!! I have even thought about walking to work I am not sure on the miles but the drive is like 10 - 15 mins depending on traffic. And there is sidewalks some of the way

Jessica, congratulations! Awesome job. Think back a year – would you, in your wildest dreams, thought you would run a 5K? That is such a huge accomplishment.

I haven't posted in a few days. I have been very busy physically and emotionally. I got a call at work on Thursday that my 85 year old Dad had fallen and was being taken to the hospital. Well, the good news is, even though he broke his arm, the break does not require surgery. They sent him home with a sling and vicodin. It has been an emotional time for me. It is difficult watching a parent become helpless. I know, I know, it is just a broken arm. Unfortunately, he isn't acting like it is just a broken arm. He is acting like he had major surgery. Granted he is 85 and in a lot of pain. The bruising is just starting to come to the surface. I am just torn. Yesterday he was able to get himself up from the chair and the couch, which he hadn't done since the break, so he is making progress in his independence. He has been independent until this point and I hope he can regain that independence. He has lived by himself and has fought giving up the house. He won't hear of assisted living and he doesn't want to come live with me. The doctor says it will be 3 weeks until physical therapy can start and 6 weeks before the bone heals.

What I am struggling with is where to find a person to come by in the daytime to give him a hand and whether or not he will even accept having someone come in. I guess we will just have to sit him down and talk to him. I can stay home from work a little longer but I, like all working people, can't stay home forever. Has anyone been through this? Where do I start to look for day care help?

I apologize for unloading on all of you. I am just not sure what to do.

Sandy - so sorry to hear about your Dad. Sounds like it is time for assisted living. I have lots of experience with in home care. Check the phone book for agencies. Usually there is a 4 hour minimum - and levels of care - CNA, LPN, or RN charge different amounts. A CNA would probably be all that is needed for him now. In addition to caring for patient needs, they will do light housekeeping (clean toilets & load dishwasher, fold laundry, change bed) and some will pick up meds or take patient to doctor.

I've used so many, I've established friendships and will call them direct for the next illness or surgery. This allows them to receive all the $$ and cuts out the agency.

I don't cut the agency during the same illness - that would be improper.

It can be costly - I spent $10,000 in a month of 24 hour care after my knee replacement. Long term care insurance does not kick in until patient has been down over 90 days.

I have some great recommendations here in K.C., but that won't help you.

So sorry you are having a difficult time seeing him aging.

Joyce

Karen - I love the auto start too. Was 19 degrees here yesterday - minus 5 with wind chill last night. Wind howling and dog decided to hold his potty until spring. unsure.gif

Jessica - way to go - you rock. Wonderful grades - 5 K - gold stars and hugs.

Janet - thanks for the input regarding one more bite. Good to remind myself, "That's why I got the band". Also, good to hear how the cold can affect the band. Think I'll cancel my appt for Dec. 15th. I've been pbing often and am not hungry between meals.

Had a bad cold/flu and took zpak to heal. Ate lots of Soups, so we'll see when I try eating again.

Melissa - good luck on new job.

Julie - hope that pain gets under control, somehow.

Hugs to all.

Joyce

Julie - I think I missed it somewhere. If you don't mind me asking why do you get so much pain? It seemed like you are pain free for a awhile and then it comes back vary bad.

I hope you do get some relief soon.

Thanks to all for the ideas and support. My sister picked Dad up last night to stay by her until tomorrow night so I have a break. She has offered before but he never wants to go because it involves staying overnight. He always wants to come home. He had no choice last night as the electric went out which means no heat and it has been in the upper 20s here. Mine was out too so I couldn't bring him here. The electric is back on now. Maybe after going out of his comfort zone he won't be so stubborn next time.

Anyway, thank you for all of the ideas. I agree that it is time for some outside help. Like I said before, he is quite stubborn and doesn't want any. I will give it a few more days and then reevaluate the situation. If he can go back to handling things like he did before the break then we will keep the status quo which is him staying in his house (1 block from me) and coming to my house daily for dinner. This arrangement has worked well since my Mom passed and hopefully can resume.

I tried to get him to give up the house this last spring and he agreed. My sister and I had cleaned it from top to bottom in preparation of putting it on the market. I told him the real estate was coming to give him an appraisal. He said he didn't want to sell after all.

He absolutely will not consider assisted living.

I am trying to let him live as he chooses but I will have to step in if it is no longer safe. Time will tell how this will work out. Maybe if I can find someone to come in for a couple of hours a day it will satisfy what he needs while keeping what he wants.

In the mean time, I will enjoy my two days off. We are taking our daughter shopping later this afternoon to pick out some boots she wants for Christmas and then out to dinner with her and her new boyfriend. She says it is serious. This is the first time we will be meeting him. I guess that doesn't sound right that we haven't met our daughter's boyfriend. What I failed to mention is she is my step daughter and lives with her mother so we don't always get to meet the friends. It should be a nice way to spend the afternoon and evening.

Good Afternoon Gang! I went to church early to help with the Lord's Supper ( Holy Communion). It is sunny, windy, and in the fifties. We are having a freeze tonight.

Janet, yep this cold weather coupled with my FM issues has given me more restriction than I have had in a while. I knew the cold front was blowing in last night so I took a muscle relaxer before I went to bed. I woke up this morning sore, but not aching. Yay! Then we had lunch. I went and bought Subway. I had half of a kids sandwich. Yep, stuck , but no pb. Every once in a while I have to eat bread to remind me "I can't eat bread".

Apples, BRRRRRR!!!! I bet AZ looks better every day. Warm HUGS again going your way! Church at 5 degrees. I hope you had a safe trip. God Bless You!

Sndy.....sorry about your dad. Maybe after he heals he would consider a retirement home. My mother lives where they have independent living, assisted living, and a nursing home. As long as your mind is good and don't have major health isssues you can live in independent . She is 87 and legally blind, but is able to get around the place real well. Start looking around for a place near you. That is a big help.....being close by. HUGS!

Joyce, I saw where your weather is bad too. Stay safe!

Laura.....seafood sounds awesome for Christmas dinner. I wish my DH would eat seafood. We have too many anti-seafood people in our family. I am up for shrimp any day. YUM!

Okay peeps. I have to crank up the fireplace. My hands are so cold.....I think it is colder in the house than outside. CBL

Mark me as one who isn't happy with this new website either. I know others have mentioned if there was another place to go. Once when I was googling 5 day pouch test I came across a message board that looked like our old one on something called Living after Weight Loss surgery or something like that. Just thought I'd put it out there. On the one hand I'd hate to leave where we all met but on the other hate if others are leaving because they don't like the changes either. I am using Explorer and am not having trouble with fonts and colors.

Regarding cold weather, I've never noticed that affecting my band, but then again I don't seem to be affected by flying either and know that some others are. Funny how it reacts differently in each of us.

Hard to believe that we will be going to Denver in a little over a week for Christmas already, it sure is coming up fast. I am not doing Christmas cards this year for the first time in years. I always put so much pressure on myself to get them out that I decided not to this year. Not sure if it was the right or wrong decision but am going with it for now.

Sandy, sorry to hear about your dad. Does sound like maybe assisted living or something is in the near future. I just dread having to face these issues with my folks and they aren't too far off. Mom is terribly opposed to anything of the sort right now as she's not old enough according to her. Yet where my grandma lives there are all sorts of them younger than her there and in better shape. She's in the independent living part but you can get certains services if needed.

Apples, sounds like that starter on your car is just the thing. Glad you were able to get out this morning for church. What kind of church are you going to?? I was raised Lutheran but go to a non denominational one now.

Okay... now I am really ticked!! I just finished a big long post... mostly to Sandy about how happy my Mom & Uncle are in assisted living, and all about my week, and was just about to add some photos when the whole thing went away!!!

And, I'm running out of time before we leave for Janet's. Have a few more things to do!! so... later! I'll add a couple of pictures .... if it doeesn't just all disappear on me again!