Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

LONG, CONGRATS! on the new job. Sounds like a real motivator to exercise. I hope the .5 works out good for you. I am glad I had an unfill, but now I am a little too hungry. Maybe I was just eating too fast coupled with the stress. Oh well, I'll get it right on the 18th.

I just got back from a weight loss surgery seminar for my husband. Dr. Davis gave it. He really would like to do Gastric Sleeves on patients, but insurance won't pay for it yet. My husband is interested, but he got notice today that he will be temporarily laid off from the 15th to Jan 5. He is an engineer at a chemical plant. Supposedly they will let him know after the Jan 5th if they are going to keep him. So, his surgery decision is going to be based on employment. I am hoping he will at least start the process to satisfy our insurance.

Hi tonight (Wed). Joann, you are going to be just fine. I too was really calm the day before surgery. Let us know when you get home how you are doing. Long, Congrats on the job. Jobs are good! I think I need more of a job than I have cause since I started loosing weight I can't stay out of the stores Tee Hee!!! Janet, I can drink anything just fine. I don't even have to go slow. Last night I could not get fish down but tonight I had spaghetti sauce with ground Turkey, no Pasta and I made some brussel sprouts. All of that went down fine. I think I just need to be patient, EAT SLOWER and figure this fill out ya know!. I go back to Dr in two weeks so I will go along until then and see how it goes but today was a better day for me.

Beckyo

LONG, CONGRATS! on the new job. Sounds like a real motivator to exercise. I hope the .5 works out good for you. I am glad I had an unfill, but now I am a little too hungry. Maybe I was just eating too fast coupled with the stress. Oh well, I'll get it right on the 18th.

I just got back from a weight loss surgery seminar for my husband. Dr. Davis gave it. He really would like to do Gastric Sleeves on patients, but insurance won't pay for it yet. My husband is interested, but he got notice today that he will be temporarily laid off from the 15th to Jan 5. He is an engineer at a chemical plant. Supposedly they will let him know after the Jan 5th if they are going to keep him. So, his surgery decision is going to be based on employment. I am hoping he will at least start the process to satisfy our insurance.

Which procedure will he have then? Lap Band? If he gets the insurance going before he is laid off will they still pay? Good luck on the job situation, there seems to be a lot of job uncertainity going around.

Which procedure will he have then? Lap Band? If he gets the insurance going before he is laid off will they still pay? Good luck on the job situation, there seems to be a lot of job uncertainity going around.

Oh, he will have Gastric Bypass. He has this "thing" about needles. We kept our insurance when he retired. We don't carry insurance with his current employer. He is just worried about being off work for surgery if he has to go to work for another company. Yes, the layoffs are starting to hit our part of the country. I am just glad my kids are grown. I feel for these young families especially at Christmas.

Good Day!

I just want to take a second and say hello! I am doing ok and hope all of you are also!

My weight loss is slow... i know I can do better, I just had transorbital taping surgery and can't exercise, but that is getting better soon! Finally I will be able to exercise and not wet myself! That has been a real bummer! Fixed!

Good to see new bandsters! Good luck to all of you!

Hey Cathy - Love the new pic - looking good girl - what is transobrital taping surgery?? Prior to losing weight I had to wear little protection pads - but no more ...

Thank you for the good wishes, Janet. I have been so excited all week - but today I have calmed down a bit. I have not had major hunger with the pre-op and today it is liquids and Jello - yum. my favorites. I was up early with Abbie - she is not doing well. We see the vet this afternoon. I'm not feeling very hopeful about that.

I am spending the night at the hospital. Its about 1 1/2 hour drive from home and I opted for the stay because I did not think I would enjoy that drive home. DH is staying with me, sleeping in a recliner - I was told the staff would take very good care of him. I don't doubt that - he can be a real charmer! Soooo we are ready.

I sure do appreciate all the help, support, and advice from the friends I have made here on this and other threads. You are a wonderful group of people. I am so blessed to have you to turn to - especially in a few days when I will need to whine...

Joann - you won't be whining :0) - We are here for you and I am glad you are staying overnight - they have good drugs :0)... When you feel up to it let us know how you are doing.. Hugs & Prayers... Janet

Good afternoon. Busy day for me today. On Wed. I have been volunteering at the hospital in the bariatric program so went and did that this morning. The fill nurse came by to teach a pre op class (she usually is not there on Wed. mornings), I told her I had an appt tomorrow with her for a fill and she told me to come over with her after the class to the office and we'd do it today so I wouldn't have to drive in again. That was great! I got a .5 cc of a fill. So far so good. I get mushies for dinner so am going out for some Beans. She felt that since I lost 20 lbs since the last fill that I probably needed it. I explained how I had felt I did then went on vacation on PB'd 3 times. She felt that was due to stress, not being as careful for the first one and that the 2nd two PB's were because I was irritated from the first one. (they all happened within 24 hours of each other). Water went down fine, will see about dinner. Some of my labs were back and I am low on Vitamin B1 so need to go get some of that to take, and have it rechecked in 3 mos.

Oh and I think I have a job. They want to know if I can start on Monday so that sounds pretty sure. It's for 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day from 6am to 8 or 830 at the rec center in my neighborhood. Now I will have no excuse to not workout as I can take my clothes and do it there before coming home. It seems tough to get up that early for only 2 hours but it will be an extra $100 or so a week and I can stash that and save up for a new wardrobe, trips, etc. It will be our 'blow' money. I talk to him aobut the job tomorrow.

Lori congrats on the job and reason to exercise !!! How long since your last fill.. My doc wouldn't give me a fill in Dec 07 cuz I had lost 17 lbs from my fill in October..

Good luck with the new job, Long. Also, hope that fill is what you needed. You were kind of on the fence about it. Hope it will be a successful fill.

Janet...NOTHING was on the menu today. My guys finished up all the farming (no livestock on our farm) yesterday and took the day to go to a farm show 3 hours away. NO GUYS TODAY AT MY HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo!!

I took the day for me. Had a color and cut at 11, eyelash extensions at 1pm and annual physical at 2:30. All went well. My general practitioner told me to not sweat the extra weight I lost after reaching goal. He stated that I am still within the normal range. I have been sweating it and trying to gain some of that ten pounds back. Neither him or my bariatric doc seem too bothered by it. My GP told me to enjoy the fact that I am ten less than what my goal was. Guess I am good to go on that.

JoAnne. Sending some love your way and will be thinking about you and cannot wait till you check in with us and let us know how you are doing. Take care and God Bless.

Apples - eyelash extentions - oh girl I want a picture... how long do they last?? do you wear mascara over them... You are a fancy girl - here I thought you were a farm girl... Glad you did something for your self !!! - As to the weight issue - what are you concerned with - I could go as low as 120 and be in the normal weight range - heck it just gives you a few lbs to play with..

Charlene - if I ever lost my band I would go to Mexico and get a sleave done... I never want to be fat - how come insurance will pay for bypass but not a sleeve... Stupid imho if the insurance companies even cared..

Hi tonight (Wed). Joann, you are going to be just fine. I too was really calm the day before surgery. Let us know when you get home how you are doing. Long, Congrats on the job. Jobs are good! I think I need more of a job than I have cause since I started loosing weight I can't stay out of the stores Tee Hee!!! Janet, I can drink anything just fine. I don't even have to go slow. Last night I could not get fish down but tonight I had spaghetti sauce with ground Turkey, no Pasta and I made some brussel sprouts. All of that went down fine. I think I just need to be patient, EAT SLOWER and figure this fill out ya know!. I go back to Dr in two weeks so I will go along until then and see how it goes but today was a better day for me.

Beckyo

Yep Becky you are ok - you just slow down - I still eat too fast like tonite it's 9 and I haven't eaten - got a call from Phyl - been paying bills - my stupid printer isn't working.. and I need to get off the computer and go fix something...

Charlene - if I ever lost my band I would go to Mexico and get a sleave done... I never want to be fat - how come insurance will pay for bypass but not a sleeve... Stupid imho if the insurance companies even cared..

Janet, Dr. Davis said that insurance co don't have enough data to approve it. He said once one state does approve it the rest should follow. It is much cheaper than bypass. He said it gives the same restriction as bypass without the resectioning of the intestine. They do cut the excess stomach away and remove. He just seems to thinks it will be a better surgery. That is what he wanted to do on me, but insurance would not pay.

Janet, Dr. Davis said that insurance co don't have enough data to approve it. He said once one state does approve it the rest should follow. It is much cheaper than bypass. He said it gives the same restriction as bypass without the resectioning of the intestine. They do cut the excess stomach away and remove. He just seems to thinks it will be a better surgery. That is what he wanted to do on me, but insurance would not pay.

There is a girl here on lbt - Wasabubblebutt - she had the band lost her weight and then due to some kind of issues with spasams she had to take out her band and she had the sleeve surgery... Insurance companies have too much power imho.. It just like ps not being covered - stupid if you lose 100 lbs or more it should be..

Janet, AMEN! Our society allows discrimination of people with this disease.....yet insurance companies won't help. It is just not right!

Lori congrats on the job and reason to exercise !!! How long since your last fill.. My doc wouldn't give me a fill in Dec 07 cuz I had lost 17 lbs from my fill in October..

My last fill was in Sept or Oct, so it had been about 2 mos. She said when you lose a lot of weight, you lose the fat pad between the tummy and band, hence the fill. So far it seems good, definitely not too tight, I've been expecting it to be and being very careful adn mindful of my bite sizes. As I eat more solids, time will tell. And....my gain from vacation is gone as well as another half a pound!! YAHOO!!! When I updated my ticker I noticed I have less than 50 to get to my 'goal' which is the highest weight that gives me a normal BMI. That's 169, not sure I will get there, I really want to get to 180 first. But it's what I am shooting for. Well first I want to get to 100 lbs lost, then under 200, you get the idea.

I hear you on insurance companies. Just not sure what the answer is. I don't like the idea of socialized medicine. My sis lived in Canada for awhile and had to wait so long for procedures, etc. but here the insurance companies are dictating to dr's what they can do. When I was on my b/p RX my insurance was always calling and sending me things to try a different cheaper drug. I had gone through so many to find one that worked well, I wasn't about to try something different, plus what they wanted me to take was 3 pills vs one and one was something I had had a reaction to. Frustrating. They make it sound like they were trying to do me a favor and save me money. yeah right. And I had to self pay for my Lap Band since my insurance didn't cover any bariatric procedure. That really wasn't the insurance though I guess and more my husbands company excluding it. I've read many things here on people having my insurance company (United Healthcare) and their insurance covered.

Where is everyone today? I thought maybe I wasn't getting the email notifications again, so came to check and no body has been here today.

Today is my 6 month bandiversary. I have lost so far 63% of my excess body weight so I've already exceeded the 'averages' for a year. I feel great about that, but of course, want it all gone now! I got my 6 mos lab work back and am low on Vitamin B1 so started taking those. They stink, smell very vitaminy and I can taste and smell it long after I took the pill. YUCK!

I went to Kohls today and bought a Foodsaver, DH wanted one and thinks it's a great way to stockpile the freezer. His brother had one and used it when they butchered their deer meat. So while there I had nothing to do and decided to try on clothes (jeans mostly) just for fun. UGH!!! Is there no such thing as a standard size? I can fit in 14's in one style and in another 18's will be tight. And many of these were the same brand but just different cuts. I thought I'd see a style I liked so I knew when I needed some what to get. I left more confused than ever. I like the Gap ones I bought and will stick to those I guess. They fit well in one style. I think I will put the next sizs of Gap's on my Santa list!

Joann, thinking of you today and hope you are home and resting well. Very anxious to hear how well everything went for you.

Today is my 6 month bandiversary. I have lost so far 63% of my excess body weight so I've already exceeded the 'averages' for a year. I feel great about that, but of course, want it all gone now!

Long...HAPPY BANDIVERSARY! 63 lbs??? Wow...I take off my hat to you. As a future bander, I'd love to know what you've done that worked so well for you. Any special tips or things you've found that worked especialy well for you?

As for the issue with the jeans...I seem to recall having the same frustrations (though it's been a long time since I bought any jeans other than stretchy ones). I've got several pair of size 10 levi's (that I loved way back when) that I will be working towards getting back into. I was a size 10 for about 10 minutes so they've got plenty of life left in them.

Congratulations on your success!

Long...HAPPY BANDIVERSARY! 63 lbs??? Wow...I take off my hat to you. As a future bander, I'd love to know what you've done that worked so well for you. Any special tips or things you've found that worked especialy well for you?

As for the issue with the jeans...I seem to recall having the same frustrations (though it's been a long time since I bought any jeans other than stretchy ones). I've got several pair of size 10 levi's (that I loved way back when) that I will be working towards getting back into. I was a size 10 for about 10 minutes so they've got plenty of life left in them.

Congratulations on your success!

No, I lost 63% of my excess body weight, which for me equals almost 87 lbs. about 86 1/2. I just can't hit the 87 mark, been stuck for a couple weeks. Other than a deep faith in God and prayer, I really can't say one thing in particular that is working for me other than, I am very strict about following the 'rules'. My portion size is 4 oz, I eat Protein first always, I eat 5 times a day (3 meals and 2 Snacks with Protein in them), I work out some, but not as much as I should , and I have a dr. that is pretty aggressive on fills if need be. I had my 6th fill this week (7th if you count the prefill I got in surgery). I feel very fortunate that things have gone so well for me and pray they continue. Good luck to you, when is your band date??

No, I lost 63% of my excess body weight, which for me equals almost 87 lbs. about 86 1/2. I just can't hit the 87 mark, been stuck for a couple weeks. Other than a deep faith in God and prayer, I really can't say one thing in particular that is working for me other than, I am very strict about following the 'rules'. My portion size is 4 oz, I eat Protein first always, I eat 5 times a day (3 meals and 2 Snacks with Protein in them), I work out some, but not as much as I should , and I have a dr. that is pretty aggressive on fills if need be. I had my 6th fill this week (7th if you count the prefill I got in surgery). I feel very fortunate that things have gone so well for me and pray they continue. Good luck to you, when is your band date??

Sorry...guess I'm still thinking in lbs! :thumbup: 86 1/2 pounds! Wow!

It's good to hear that one can have such great success by following the rules. I intend to be very "compliant" in that regard! And I'm with you on faith...I put it all in God's hands and truly do believe he brought me here and will be by my side throughout.

My surgery date is 12/16. 11 more days...and I can hardly wait!

Janet...I did eyelash extensions and permanent eyeliner back in August as a gift to myself. The eyelashes fall out when my own fall out. They are attached just about to the end of the lash. They look so natural and never have to wear mascara. I go back in every 2-3 weeks for a touch up. I actually fall asleep while she is doing it. $25 for a touch up. I also love the permanent eyeliner. I did charcoal and did a not too thick line upper and lower lids. Yes, I am a farm girl but a fancy one. Have always been a clothes horse and would never walk out of the house without makeup. Even when I was heavy I believed in keeping myself up even if just running to the field for the guys. (You never know who you will run into.

Hi everyone else. Have had such a busy week. My volunteer jobs are more than full time right now. Have a huge day tomorrow with the guards xmas party and meeting. An all day thing.

Had my annual physical this week. Everything checked out but don't have results on a few tests but not worried about it. Had mammo today and that was fine. Also had a bone density test. Was soooooo funny. The tech was a little girl about 20. Very nice little thing and visited throughout the test. She got excited all of a sudden and told me there was something abnormal with my spine. She said I had what looked like Calcium about the size of a quarter in my spine. She immediately called the radiologist to come look. I asked if I could look. Got off the table and knew instantly that it was my port. You should have seen the look on her face. Poor thing was so concerned. Just a cute story!

We have a fun Christmas party tonight at friend's home. They have the most beautiful house in the world and throw the best parties. Usually 100 people or more and their home accommodates everyone. We see people that we have not seen for a year. I bought a Ann Taylor silky sweater, black boots and silky black pants for the occasion. Blue is my best color and my DH loves me in that color with my blue eyes. Have the other Christmas party tomorrow night and found Jones NY sweater in red and black for that celebration.

I remember the Christmas parties last year. I felt sooooooo uncomfortable in my extra weight (actually for the last 15 yrs). I have an outgoing personality and would visit but would just want to hide when my beautiful friends walked in and looked so sleek and pretty. They are still beautiful but I will not feel like I have to hide this year. One of my friends that had not seen me for a year (the hostess of our party tonight) saw me two weeks ago and just said "We have you back to the way you used to be." That mean a lot to me. So, as you can tell, I am really looking forward to NOT worrying about my looks and just enjoy the holiday parties and events. It makes me feel so peaceful and makes me not want to not be noticed.

Everyone have a good weekend. It's time for me to go get "HOT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!