Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have Dumping Type Syndrome????

Alright, so I made my son's lunch this afternoon and ate something that is not exactly conducive for dieting..............that being said, I have no restriction yet, and can essentially eat and drink normally at this point. So, I have 4 chocolate chip Cookies dunked in a COLD glass of milk........no problem. Well, two hours later, I had SEVERE abdominal cramps, and it quickly became clear that my body was trying to evacuate anything and everything that was in it.

I know you're not supposed to get Dumping Syndrome with the Lapband, but there is no doubt that it was the exact problem I was having. Anyone else ever have this issue?

If that was the first time you had any real sugar/junk food since your operation it could very well be your body telling you that it prefered you not eat that stuff.

You do not get dumping syndrome with the band. Bypass patients get it becasue part of their stomach is missing and does not process sugar. We have our stomachs intact. We can process sugar like we always have. We should just avoid it. I think your experience was a coincidence. If I eat ANYHTING wierd that I haven't eaten in a long while my stomach will get upset. Greasy fried foods being the #1 culprit. I now get gas more than I used to. Things are a little different, and our typical days food is different. It will take a while to Iron it all out. Remember. Your diet was DRASTICALLY changes after surgery. Bandsters don't have dumping syndrome. That's one of the reasons why I chose it over a bypass. Who wants to live like that???

It may not be called dumping, but I've def. had something similar. It seems it happens when I eat greasy foods and then drink a lot of Water. It's like it's being pushed out of my stomach and then about 30 minutes later I get cramps and bad bathroom issues. I am learning to stay away from the things that make me feel that way.

I have had the same issue. Even if it is not dumping, it feels kind of like it. I just figured my body was just telling me "i thought we made a deal to stop eating this crap . . . i have already made the adjustment so why can't you???"

I have only had it happen once or twice. I avoid sugar and processed carbs like the plague now because they do a number on my stomach.

even before being banded, i was on a high Protein low carb eating habbit so anytime i ate something that was high in sugar or in fat i got all the issues you are talking about...oviously its not the textbook "dumping syndrome" due to everyone not having the bypass, but call it whatever you like its not something i care to do often lol...definately my body telling me "hey, i dont need all that sugar" so you are not alone, its happened to alot of us pre and post banding

I've heard of people having a similar post-op experience that was chalked up to lactose intolerance--which, for some reason, had never been an issue prior to surgery. Maybe that's what happened to you?

I am very bad and eat a lot of sweets. Luckily I have not had anything like that happen. Man would I be in trouble.

I have dumping syndrome associated with a long ago gall bladder removal.

I was just noticing the other day that it had disappeared since I was banded.

"Intolerance to fats" and upset digestive process also MAY be related to altered gall bladder function postBand.

That makes sense to me. I have similar symptoms sometimes and I'm not banded yet. So it's not the band. In my case, I had my gallbladder removed and if I eat too much fatty foods, I get craps and diarrhea.

Btw, dumping syndrome is a very quick thing, from what I've read. You eat the food and as soon as it hits your intestines, it gets dump out and you might not even have time to get to the bathroom. Ugh! That sound horrible. I'm glad we don't get that from the band.

Call it what you want, but I KNOW my band has changed my "going" habits. Prior to the band, Correctol was part of my daily diet. Now 3.5 years later, the least bit of fat, ie..chips, cheese crunchies, and heaven forbid I should eat some of a bloomin onion, lol.

Thank goodness my issues are the next day and not like diarrhea.

Btw, dumping syndrome is a very quick thing, from what I've read. You eat the food and as soon as it hits your intestines, it gets dump out and you might not even have time to get to the bathroom. Ugh! That sound horrible. I'm glad we don't get that from the band.

Precisely, although I've had never failed to reach the bathroom, it's hasn't always been by a comfortable margin. The only reason I associate it with my gall bladder removal is that I specifically asked my doctor about it after the fact. Stress and/or fatty foods will do it every time.

Heck I get something pretty similar anytime I go out to eat anymore. Most especially chineese food.Which used to be my favorite!! It has got to be that my body isn't used to all the junk/processing/aditives etc. as much anymore cause I haven't even got my band yet. lol But I have been eating better for like 6 months now.

But I can eat all the salads/veggies/lowfat & no greasy meats without any problems. But a non-salad type meal from anywhere else I get 4 hours of misery after.