Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beer?????????

Guest quagmire

Guest quagmire

can you drink beer or wine after banding?

my doc says NOOOOO carbonated drinks. Period.

I think you should ask your doctor about his opinion.

Many people here say they have tried carbonation but it is very uncomfortable. Plus, beer is a whoooooole lotta calories you don't need. Maybe try a nice vodka/cranberry instead?

I am not banded yet so I'm no expert but alot of times when I drink beer I drink it on ice (colder, reduces calories) and it seems to reduce carbonation too.

I think you should ask your doctor about his opinion

I agree!

But on a personal note...

Wine is a yes! (thank God)

Beer is a no! I am one that the carbonation nearly kills me... the bad outweighs the good on this one beverage. :) I truly miss my coors light!

Not directly reduces calories - reduces it because the ice melts and waters it down. 12 oz beer plus 4 oz of ice equals 16 oz of Fluid with same number of calories. Not really a calorie reduction but calorie watering down...sorry for any confusion.

carbination gives some people fits and starts.

Fits and starts?? :(

I was told that the gas from the carbonated beverage's can get trapped in your pouch and cause your stomach to come up thru the band and get stuck (like a reverse effect), then they have to do emergency surgery....That is how my dietican sorta explained it to me. I am still in my 6 months of no alcohal phase, only 2 months out =(

Yikes! That would be HORRIBLE!!! I was told it stretches the pouch, the gases, that is. I've only tested it once with a big gulp of mountain dew and it was followed by painful burps. NEVER again. In desperation... like to take a pill or something, i've taken a sip of my daughter's soda and swished until it was flat...

You know, I use to drink 4 cans of coke a day before my sugery, and I really dont miss it all that much. Once in a GREAT while, someone will pop the top of a can and the sound makes me want one. Isnt that funny? Not the smell or taste or inner desire... the sound of the can being opened. Ha!

StrangeDz...I'm the opposite of you. I've never been a big pop drinker, and if so it was always Sprite and I was at a restaurant. Before surgery I probably went 4 or 5 months without even thinking about one. Since surgery though, I've been craving one sooo bad!!! It must be because I know I'm not allowed to have it right now lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches