Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drugs that counteract weight gain with anxiety and depression

I was watching a program on PBS called "Depression: Out of the Shadows".

Anywho, as one who has struggled with anxiety/depression and obesity for many years I have also struggled with the fact that having anxiety and depression contribute to my weight gain and vise versa and also the drugs that I take may also play a part in my weight issues.

Back to the PBS show, there was a man on the show who had been profoundly depressed for a while and took a large cocktail of drugs that seemed to be working for him. He also took some medications that were to counteract some of the side effects of these drugs. He took a drug that I wasn't familiar with to counteract the weight gain side effect. Actually I'm going to try to go to the transcript of the show to see if I can find it but it was almost inaudible to me while watching.

I then did a little research on the web myself and came across a drug called "zonisamide or zonegran". Has anyone ever heard of this before or have you been on them for this reason or anyone on a similar type of drug to counteract the weight gain side effects?

I know there are certain antidepressants that specifically say they don't affect a person's weight but those are either drugs that haven't worked for me or not found to be true especially with the combination I take. And Wellbutrin has no affect on me whatsoever, just as an example.

Thanks ahead of time anyone who has any info and would like to share, brandyII.:rolleyes2:

I had tried various depressants before, found each time i went on zoloft lost weight it was like an appitite suppresent in itself.

Zoloft had the same effect on me - reduced my appetite quite a lot, although not enough to lose serious amounts of weight.

slimmy120,

I've been on so many over the years I'm not sure if I've actually tried Zoloft. I'd like to see if there are any drugs out there that are safe to mingle with the one's I'm on now but may counteract the weight issue.

brandyII,

I WAS BANDED ON OCT. 16,2007. I HAVE BEEN ON CELEXA 50 MG SINCE BEFORE MY SURGERY. I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE AN EFFECT ON WEIGHT OR NOT BUT I HAVE LOST 100 LBS SINCE THE BAND SO IT CAN'T BE TO BAD. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED, YOU WILL FIND THE RIGHT COMBINATION FOR YOU. JUST REMEMBER THAT THE MAIN REASON YOU HAD THIS DONE IS FOR YOUR HEALTH!!! AND ANYONE ON AN ANTIDEPRESSANT KNOWS THAT FINDING THE CORRECT DOSAGE WILL BE THE KEY TO ALOT OF OTHER THINGS IN LIFE. INCLUDING YOUR WEIGHT LOSS!! KEEP YOUR HEAD HIGH AND KNOW THAT ALL WILL EVENTUALLY WORK OUT!:lol:

BrandyII, I was thinking if you have time why don't you email the major pharmacutical companies and ask them what they recommend? They will say discuss with your doctor but at least you will have definate facts. All the best, keep us informed then we will all know , thanx.

slimmy120,

I see my nurse practitioner this week I'll see what she says about the meds I saw on the program first, thanks for the idea, brandyII.

i am thinking about gettin banded and i am on effexor and it is horrible. i have gained soooo much weight on it and if u miss one day from taking it, u are sick. i hate it! i was on zoloft for anxiety and depression and it stopped working so i was swiched to effexor xr. worst mistake ever!

lilbit,

I've had bad reactions with antidepressants before too and sometimes after being on them for a long time they're just not as effective. I've been on effexor before, I believe it was a time release one and it was okay but then I started having sleep issues, later found to have sleep apnea.

Anyway after effexor I was on cymbalta for a few years and have been suffering from more depression due partially to my lack of progress on the lap band and now have been placed on pristiq which is probably in the same class of drugs. I don't feel that much different but it takes a while to get the full effect once the switch. Good luck and keep trying until you get the right drug for you! brandyII.:(

brandyII, yes i am not sure what i am going to do because as i stated if i miss taking the effexor one day, i am sick. do u know if u are able to still take capsules after the lapband because i was told you cant. how are you doing with the lapband?

lilbit08,

It's easy to get withdrawal side effects if you miss taking certain antidepressants. Some can be as quick as a day so you're supposed to take them every day around the same time. I know mistakes happen and you could miss it once in a while but it will affect you. Usually I call them "brain sparks" or something like that, it's not a headache but you kind of feel like something is amiss somewhere in your head! I know sounds weird but that's what I call them.

If you think the effexor is causing other problems other than when you miss a dose than talk to your doctor about it and maybe they'll suggest a different drug.

Anyway my medications are in various forms, capsules, caplets, tablets. I've heard people say at first after surgery they've had to break a larger caplet in two and some medications they don't want you to take prior to surgery but that's something your surgeon will go over with you. You really shouldn't stop taking antidepressants without your doctor's knowledge or advice, it can cause some bad withdrawal symptoms.

So discuss all your meds with your prescribing doctors and your surgeon prior to surgery, it's usually a procedure that's common anyway. I still take all the same meds I took prior to banding after banding. You're not supposed to take NSAIDS, like Ibuprofen which can cause problems with your stomach and only take Tylenol now for pain and that's something your surgeon will go over with you also.

Edited by brandyII

I have not been banded yet and I luckily don't seem to suffer from depression but I am on Wellbutrin to control cravings! I don't smoke but they found that people who took Zyban which is wellbutrin lost weight as they quit smoking. I asked my surgeon to put me on Wellbutrin just to see what happened because I have had such a long wait to be banded and I have lost 40 lbs since March. It is interesting because I have to think to remember to eat.

yes i have been told that wellbutrin is one of the best anti-depressants now and i am thinking about getting on them as well, i dont have insurance right now but will as of 8/1 and that is another reason why i havent looked into getting an actual lapband dr because i dont want to get my hopes all high and cant pay for the procedure. i know that people finance loans but i dont have any credit and that is like having bad credit, BUT i am sure that something will work out.:)

I am on prozac for depression/bipolar/anxiety. It doesn't seem to affect my weight. :) Glad too

i have been on celexa for about 9 yrs. off n on. I too feel like depression has a lot to do with my weight issues. I have read that celexa kills your metabolism! I also take wellbutrin 300mg for about a yr. i dont think it has helped me lose any weight. i couldnt be so lucky lol!