Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I just had a consultation with the hypertension clinic here in Calgary, and heard about banding for the first time.

I'm 48, with a BMI of 42, drug resistant hypertension, and the added treat of the occasional bout of gout. The jury's still out on sleep apnea, I'll be getting tested for that in the near (I hope) future. I do know I have a history of "forgetting" to breath, going back to childhood.

Over the past 30 odd years, I've been yo-yo-ing with diets, loosing 20-30-40 pounds, only to gain it all back, every time, with a little extra (sound familiar to anyone?).

To me, jumping on the "band waggon" (a bit of Calgary Stapede humour there) seems like a Godsend. I know banding would be a life changing experience, and I would need to be concious of every bite ... if not, the band will remind me, and not in a pleasant way.

I don't have a lot of hope with the Public system ... as of Tuesday, there are apparently only 21 procedures being done in Calgary this year, and I get the impression the waiting list is huge.

I have no idea where I'm going to go from here ... or whether my extended health will cover a private banding. At this point, this is all very new to me.

It looks like there is an enormous amount of informaition here ... both positive, and negative ... I'm sure I'll be sifting through it for a long time.

Anyway, I just popped in to say hi.

DaveM

Dave, I will bet that as you go through the various posts you will find 99 3/4 per cent of us feel having the lap band procedure is the best thing we've ever done for ourselves. It's especially important when your health is at risk. I had mine done in October and my cholesterol has gone down 66 points without medication and I am no longer Type II diabetic. I hope you can get it. I don't know much about the Canadian health system, but turn over mountains to get it. I promise you will not regret it.

Dave - Good Luck to you in your journey to being banded. Mine was 12 months from starting to talk to my PCP about it, going to 3 informational seminars, being declined in Dec and then seeing a Nutritionist for 3.5 months and then finally approval in April and banding last Tuesday, May 20, 2008. I am not privy to your financial situation but some people have gone to Mexico and been very succesful with their banding experiences. I was lucky and my insurance covered 100%. I hope you have luck getting approval and surgery through your health services. There are lots of resources on the Web. I also use a website called ObesityHelp.com. They have a specific message board just for LapBand people. Good Luck!!

Thank you Patriciann and LizzieNJ for your encouragement.

I met with my family doctor, and then my hypertension doctor today.

My family doctor is 1000% behind me getting banded. He also says that adjustments (fills/defills) should be covered by Alberta Health, as they are a visit to a doctor. The only thing you may be charged for is the syringe & saline.

My hypertension doctor had some mixed news for me.

The Provincial program funded by the Alberta Government has been cancelled, and the waiting list is no more. Everyone on the waiting list will receive a letter.

The government's logic was, they have to provide it to everyone, or no one ... with over 200,000 Albertans who could benefit from banding, the answer to that $3.2 billion question was no one ... so, no more program.

On the upside, and (maybe) beacuse of this this, banding will be available privately, in Calgary, out of the Peter Lougheed hospital. I can't recall who is running the clinic, but I am getting a referral.... I'll pass the name on when I have it.

I've been in touch with Sunlife, and my employer. My employer is completely supportive, and will do whatever they can to help. Sunlife asked for a bit of info, and it's in their court at the moment.

DaveM

Dave, Good luck. I pray it works out for you. Please keep us informed. My Lord, I thought our American healthcare system was complicated......LOL

So, I just heard back from Sunlife:

"The claims consultant has reviewed the information that you provided, and has advised that the procedure is not covered under your plan. Essentially, the procedure is considered a medical service that falls within the realm of provincial medical care, and isn't an eligible expense under your plan :tt2:"

This was after the provincial program was cancelled :lol:

Oh well ... now the appeals begin.

No luck with Sunlife ... so, looks like self-pay.

On the bright side ... I got my date!

Hi gang,

It seems like only a couple of months since I decided to get banded, and now my surgery is a week today.

I'm not sure why people don't like Optifast, the chocolate is not that bad ... this is my 8th day.

I did cheat (in a good way) by taking just protien shakes, Vitamins and a fibre supplement for a few days before starting the Optifast. This kick-started ketosis, and I've been there since the first day of Opti.

I started my ticker at my consultation weight ... I'm down 25 pounds already, and no longer morbidly obese ... just plain old obese, as I'm going into surgery.

One week to go ... ack!

Dave