Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Fully Covered me AND I HAVE MY DATE!!! YEEEHAW!!

Well, my info. was submitted to insurance over a month ago, and no word from anyone. Then a few days ago, I received a letter from UHC saying I was approved, but it didn't say how much they would cover. I waited patiently, and I couldn't wait any longer. So yesterday, I called the insurance lady at my surgeon's office, and she said she hadn't received a letter yet. She said "if you'll fax me a copy of it, I'll get your surgery date for you". I was SO EXCITED! I sent it to her within minutes.

Got a call from her yesterday evening, and she at first said my surgery date was for June 4th. She said, "is that date okay?" I said, "absolutely, I'll take whatever you have!" She laughed and said, I doubt that, I have something for next week, but that's probably too soon. I said " no way, there isn't a too soon". My surgery date is NEXT WEEK PEOPLE!!! Wednesday May 28th! I have my pre-op appt. tomorrow, and I started my liquid diet today (wasn't mandatory, I just thought I'd get as ready as I could). Oh, and she added, "did you know your insurance is covering you 100%"? I have to pay a $50 hospital fee and that's it. I'm so darn excited. :confused_smile:

I'm excited, a little nervous, excited again, lol. Thanks to all of you for this forum, this place has been amazingly full of information, caring people, and I will probably have tons of questions in the upcoming week!

Edited by fotogurl

wow, that's great! It's amazing how many people wait forever and then suddenly it's "come in a week". Kinda scary.....

Well, my info. was submitted to insurance over a month ago, and no word from anyone. Then a few days ago, I received a letter from UHC saying I was approved, but it didn't say how much they would cover. I waited patiently, and I couldn't wait any longer. So yesterday, I called the insurance lady at my surgeon's office, and she said she hadn't received a letter yet. She said "if you'll fax me a copy of it, I'll get your surgery date for you". I was SO EXCITED! I sent it to her within minutes.

Got a call from her yesterday evening, and she at first said my surgery date was for June 4th. She said, "is that date okay?" I said, "absolutely, I'll take whatever you have!" She laughed and said, I doubt that, I have something for next week, but that's probably too soon. I said " no way, there isn't a too soon". My surgery date is NEXT WEEK PEOPLE!!! Wednesday May 28th! I have my pre-op appt. tomorrow, and I started my liquid diet today (wasn't mandatory, I just thought I'd get as ready as I could). Oh, and she added, "did you know your insurance is covering you 100%"? I have to pay a $50 hospital fee and that's it. I'm so darn excited. :confused_smile:

I'm excited, a little nervous, excited again, lol. Thanks to all of you for this forum, this place has been amazingly full of information, caring people, and I will probably have tons of questions in the upcoming week!

I am screaming for you.... ahhhhhhhhhh I am so happy for you.... That's what i'm talking about.... Just know that everything get's better from here.... that is so great........

Congratulations! I just got my approval and date today too! I'm waiting until 7/2 because I'm going on a cruise for 10 days in June and want to wait until after that trip. My surgeon requires a two week liquid diet prior to surgery. Let us know how things go after surgery. I love reading the posts the day of or day after surgery! :crying:

That's awesome! Just curious, who is your insurance with?

I have Cigna

Did you have to do a 6 month Dr supervised diet? I'm starting mine on Tuesday - that's when I go to the Dr. for a weigh in and diet consultation. If you did have to do a diet - does it matter what diet you choose as long as a Dr. is monitering it?

Did you have any health issues? I don't know of any that I have; but, people are telling me that the Dr. will look for them. Is that what happened to you?

I live in Nashville - where are you having your surgery?

I have United Healthcare through Wachovia. I've heard other people say they are trying to get a job at Wachovia just for their insurance.

I didn't have to do a 6 month supervised diet. They did give me a list from the Dr's office of what my insurance needs me to do in order to cover me. Blood tests, OB Appt., Psych. Eval., Nutritionist Appt., things like that. After I finished everything on my list, everything was sent into insurance for approval, I was approved about 3 weeks later. And my date is for next week, May 28th. I started this journey in November, so it took a little over 6 months to get everything done.

Yes, I do have health issues. I have sleep apnea (supposed to wear a C-pap ), I have High BP and I'm on meds, I have anxiety and take Lexapro for that, I have heartburn and take Prevacid, and diabetes & heart problems run in my immediate family. But my BMI is 44, so I think I was a candidate even without these health problems. I am having my surgery in Concord, NC by Roc Bauman.

Edited by fotogurl