Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Powder or shakes

Here is what I posted on another board:

For those of you in need of a good Protein shake, here is what I have to offer :tt1::

smoothie King has a nutrional supplement called Gladiator Meal Replacement (this comes in chocolate/vanilla/strawberry)

Here are the Supplement Facts per TWO Scoops and water---Note that you can mix this with Water and the number will not change, but if you mix with skim milk and add fruit, then of course the number are going to go up:

CAlories---180

Fat----0

Cholesterol-----0

Total Carbs----1g

Fiber-----0

Sugars----<1g

Protein-----45g

Sodium------150mg

Potassium-----355mg

Also----EAS has a Protein Shake called Myoplex Original (purple container)

I personally drink only the chocolate and here is the info for this shake (these are already prepared):

Colories---300

Total Fat----7g

Cholesterol----20mg

Sodium---700mg

Potassium---850mg

Total Carbs----19g

Fiber----6g

Sugars---2g

Protein----42g

Please note that this is for a 17oz container, one that would not be drunk all at once.

I personally mix mine with skim milk, ice and sometimes either a banana or blueberries and stawberries.

Hope this helps!!!!:confused_smile:

I hear a little of people talking about Protein powder and/or shakes. What kind do you use? What taste the best and where do you get it from?

I make a Protein shake every morning. I can't eat anything so it works good. I use 1 cup of skim milk, No added sugar instant Breakfast, and about 1 TBSP of chocolate whey Proten ( I was putting a scoop in and had horrible gas), 1TBSP of Benefiber. I mix it in my magic bullet and off I go. If I want a fruit shake I use vanilla instant Breakfast and vanilla flavored whey and whatever fruit I want, 1 TBSP Benefiber. I found that some mornings I can't handle the thicker fruit shake.

The protein helps me not get hungary until lunch.

Edited by gerio

I started with 1 cup, I usually use about 12 oz. of milk (skim milk) now. The nurse at my doctors makes this shake, it is a good way to get some of your Protein. I lost quite a bit of hair when I first started losing weight (which is normal) but it is coming back. My hairdresser is happy. She said that even on Weight Watchers she lost hair so if this happens don't stress, it will grow back.

I also use the Carnation Instant Breakfast sugar free. I love the chocolate flavor. I mix it with 1 cup simply smart skim milk. It has more Protein then regular skim milk. In total it has 16 grams of protein! :rolleyes2: 3x a day

The first week I did the Protein shakes. GNC 100% whey vanilla. They were really good and had 20 grams of Protein. However, after a week 3x a day I honestly do not want to ever see a protein shake again. I had to force myself to drink as much of it as I could.

So the Carnation sugar free is another great option. Hope this is helpful. KIM

GNC, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc. Many drug, grocery, and superstores have different types of Protein shakes.

I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury which I get from www.unjury.com. I love their unflavored and chocolate. I mix the unflavored in with other foods. I use powdered milk and ice with the chocolate. I mix it to the thickness of a wendy's frosty for a treat. YUM!

I also keep slimfast high Protein cans in the frig for a quick fix when I'm running crazy.

There's a website where you can try samples of different shakes for a small fee.

Good luck!!

UPSET--I just found out my bananas are high in CARBS...RATS. I just found out that the equate brand weight loss shake I like is to high in carbs and then to top it off once I got past that ....that the bananas I add to it is to high in CARBS too......crap. I am not a milk drinker but have been using those shakes and frozen bananas to make me a smoothie and it tastes YUMMY. Go figure..think I have found something I can live with on the preop high Protein low carb phase before being banded and it's all down the tubes. I have ordered a few samples from some other companies so cross your fingers.

UPSET--I just found out my bananas are high in CARBS...RATS. I just found out that the equate brand weight loss shake I like is to high in carbs and then to top it off once I got past that ....that the bananas I add to it is to high in CARBS too......crap. I am not a milk drinker but have been using those shakes and frozen bananas to make me a smoothie and it tastes YUMMY. Go figure..think I have found something I can live with on the preop high Protein low carb phase before being banded and it's all down the tubes. I have ordered a few samples from some other companies so cross your fingers.

I got some Amplify Protein Powder from GNC. They make a Tropical banana flavor that mixes well with milk. I actually like it! Its got 20g Protein in one scoup. Very low carbs, 4 I think. My doc recommends it. I also tried some Isopure bottled drinks...ewww what a nasty aftertaste. And i got a case of the dang stuff, tropical fruit, orange and sumthin else. If anyone likes it I will sell it cheap!

Those drinks made me so nauseus! I couldn't get past the odor. I tried the stuff in those lab tubes at 42 gs of Protein, but they also taste ugly. Like bad Jello.

I was told I needed 77 grams of Protein a day, but I only can get in about 65 without have more calories.

My issue is getting the protein without the calories. In one book I have, the menus don't seem to have the protein they say it all adds up to.

I'm still on soft foods, but find I'm on a protein diet to get it all in. The only carbs I have are a few in milk I add to coffee, and then a 1/2 potato (so that my stomach settles) with one meal and a few whole wheat crackers at another meal. The rest is pulverized fish or chicken or tuna fish. I'm not even eating eggs because it doesn't seem like they have enough protein to bother. I'm trying to stay 700-800 a day.

I certainly don't feel like I'm eating anywhere near a balanced diet.

And I'm not losing weight as fast as I was before. And I'm exercising.

Gwenn

Here is another with less than 10 carbs......Also, with bananas, you may want to ask your doctor if it is okay as women need a good portion of potassium daily and bananas do the trick.

I drink the chocolate, but they do have vanilla and I believe strawberry.

****LEAN BODY****

Serving Size: 1 box

Calories: 260

Sodium: 650mg

Potassium: 600mg

Total Carbs: 9g

Dietary Fiber: 5g

SUgar: 0g

Protein: 40g