Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Straws and carbonation - forbidden or not forbidden?

In my lap band class prior to surgery, I was told not to use straws and not to drink anything carbonated. The reasoning for this was that both can cause uncomfortable gas. Because I'm a germaphobe, I refuse to drink from a restaurant glass without a straw. I was terrified to do it at first, but the earth did not stop spinning on its axis, and the sun still rose the next morning. Then, on a particularly hot day, I had a few light beers out by the pool, and to my great surprise, I didn't explode! Since I didn't have any distress from breaking these taboos, I'm wondering if there is some other reason that these things are bad for banders on a long term basis. (Yes, I know that even light beer has too many calories, but it's almost 100 degrees here in Texas already! Ice cold beer is necessary to sustain life!) Does anyone have any wisdom they can share? I do have a LOT of restriction now, so that's not the reason I can tolerate supposed no-nos. I just don't want to screw anything up. Unless I start carrying my own glasses to restaurants with me, I can't see giving up straws. There have been too many times when a glass I was served had lipstick stains on it. EEEWWWWW!!!!!:)

My opinion is that my doctor said no straws, no carbonation.

I trusted my doctor with my life, so I will trust my doctor with the restrictions on my diet. I knew it going in.....

My doc also said no liquids with meals, so drinking out of a restaurant glass is a moot point.

I miss beer, a lot......but I'll survive.

I feel ya, but I've actually found that when my weight stalls, being a little bad and having a couple of beers can jump start my metabolism again. As for drinking with meals, my doc says it's okay to sip, just not gulp with meals. I have a very strong gag reflex, so I must have a few sips of Water with my meals, or it's not going to go down.

Well, I guess I'm the naughtiest girl in the world because I drink with my meals. Not a lot, but I usually drink a full glass before my meal and then with my meal I'll drink about half a glass.. Uh oh.. call the lapband police..

I use to drink 3 or 4 glasses with my meals, so for me, this is nothing. My doctor says later when I have a lot of restriction I can't do that, but I never plan on getting too tight that I can't eat a nice healthy small meal.

I never was into cokes and carbonated things, so I'm not sure about that aspect of it. I mostly drink Water, crystal light, and tea. But, I did have one diet coke about a month ago and had no uncomfortableness.. and I drink out of a straw all the time.. again, no uncomfortableness.. I guess it's different for everybody.

I try not to drink with my meals but sometimes I do and at work I drink with a straw because I always need Water around me and I am clumsy, so I don't need an open glass in front of me.

Carbonation is bad, but sometimes I fudge. I need to stop though. My Dr. said no carbonation and I should listen. I need to listen. Why can't I listen?

Anyway it's a work in progress.

My doctor also said no carbonation or straws because they can let too much air into the pouch which can cause discomfort and possibly cause the pouch to stretch. I avoid both completely. I was a total carbonation/ caffeine addict so I'm not planning to go back to that even when I can because I know I'll be hooked again.

I'm not supposed to drink for 30 minutes before or two hours after a meal. I usually can make it an hour or so after but then I'm so thirsty I can't stand it. It was hard to get used to not drinking with a meal, but now I'm used to it and can deal with it. When we go out, the servers look at me like I'm a freak because I don't order a drink.

The nutritionist said that carbonated drinks stretch out the stomach. That is the reason for that and as for the straws she said you tend to drink to fast with a straw. I too love my beer...but will stay clear as I don't want to stretch out anything. I don't drink with my meals right now either...but the straw was a hard one to give up too. We are all creatures of habit.

I was told that the carbonated beverages cause discomfort and the straws make it easy to drink too much, too fast. I tried the carbonation once and don't really care for it anymore. And I can't believe I just said that. However, I use a straw everyday. I just take smallish sips and haven't had any trouble at all.

And yep, I'm guilty of drinking with my meals also. But it's much less than before surgery.

Beer sounds really good right now but I'm too lazy to go to the store. LOL

Isn't it amazing how different doctors give us different advice. I was told no straws right after surgery because you tend to take more air in, and it would be uncomfortable.

Just Monday I asked my doctor about Diet Cokes. I asked him if I was stretching out my band. He said that I didn't stretch my stomach before with it. But it might cause more belching and if I wanted to have a diet coke each day, moderation was his suggestion.

I am also clumsy and I can't have a can around, so I open a bottle of diet Coke every morning and I drink it throughout the day. The only thing is, I think that I drink less Water then I did when I gave up pop.

My doctor states no straws or carbonated beverages. I had my 8 day check up and asked the rationale behind the straws...and the NA stated that it causes people to gulp air. I'm not sure if I buy into it all...but I have every intentions of following his orders.

My doctor states no straws or carbonated beverages. I had my 8 day check up and asked the rationale behind the straws...and the NA stated that it causes people to gulp air. I'm not sure if I buy into it all...but I have every intentions of following his orders.

Even though our doctors tell us different things, I think that it is smart to follow the advice of our individual docs. And not having pop isn't going to kill us. (Well, it almost killed me for 2 weeks.) I am not a coffee drinker, so the headaches were killing me. I was so desperate for pop, that I would open a bottle at night, leave it open and then drink it flat. I am hopeless!!

The standard rule is no soda and no straws. However, when my nutritionist was on maternity leave, I had an appt. I talked to the nurse who is in charge of my program and told her it sucks to not be able to occassionally chew gum, drink diet coke and use straws. She said I can do it. It's against the technical rules, but if you do it and are still having good weight loss, go for it! I burp more when I drink diet coke so I have to sip slower. When I go out, I like to have fresh breath, so gum is a MUST. I havent had a problem with these things.

My doctor said no carbonation but straws are OK. He said no coconut because it swells up in the stomach, go figure? They want us to wait six months to chew gum and never swallow gum. I have to have a straw to drink the Protein shakes.

I don't drink with my meals. I agree with Jaimie, they look at you very strangely if you don't order a drink with your meal. If the Water is sitting there I will drink it and for me that is a very bad idea, and a sure way to get stuck.

Hey yall..my doc said the same..no straws, no carbonation. I sneak in a straw every once in a while but I had such a hard time giving up my diet pepsi, I am even now afraid to have one for falling off the wagon!!:biggrin:

As it was explained to me was this:

Straws - should not be used because air sucked up through the straw will go down with your drink and can cause burping/gas and an unnessary quick fullness. Well, I burp and have air trapped in my band all the time anyway and I'm usually full quick too, so I use straws.

Carbonated drinks - should not be drank because the little bubbles can expand in your little pouch and cause it to prematurely stretch. I have probably had 2 or 3 12 oz. beverages post surgery. I had no discomfort but that doesn't mean I didn't stretch my pouch. I doubt a soda a month will cause so much damage, but I don't think it is good to do this often.

Drinking with meals - should not be done because this will cause your solid food to wash right through your band. Defeating the purpose of the band entirely. If you are doing this, try not to. I don't usually drink with my meals, but I have to be honest - I have done this more than once and I do notice I get hungier much faster than when I don't.