Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In memory of Denyell

Peter, I am so very sorry for your loss. I recognize Denyell's screen name. I know how difficult this must be for your family. That you took the time to let us know what happened is amazing. You radiate a quiet strength that many wouldn't have in similar circumstances. Know that many, many people are sending prayers for your family. Thank you for sharing Denyell's story with us. I hope that you will have the answers to your questions soon.

In deepest sympathy,

Barbara Anderson

Thank you for sharing this experience. I am very sorry for your loss, and my thoughts are with you and your family.

I am incredibly saddened for you and your family in this time of grief and loss. Thank you for sharing with the LB community. You're in our thoughts and prayers...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am sorry for your loss. God bless.

My wife used to post on here as mom2bbb. Her name was Denyell Hooper. She had her surgery on March 31st 2008. She passed away on April 24th.

I want to start by saying so far there has been no link between the surgery and her death. Also I am not here to frighten anyone. This is sincerely not my intent but I feel I need to inform you of the conditions surrounding her death so if anyone here has these symptoms they will react quickly.

On the night of the 22nd of April my wife told me she thought she had an intestinal bug and she had some cramping on her left side. She said it was just mildly uncomfortable and she fell asleep. That next morning she said she wasn't feeling well and the cramping was about the same. she said she wanted to go home. (We were on vacation in New Hampshire) so I packed the truck and we went home. She had some diarrhea and she was throwing up about every 1/2 hour but so told me it wasn't too bad and she felt like she had a stomach bug. The red flag went up for me but she assured me it wasn't that bad. Well at 3:00 Am thursday morning she woke me up and said she didn't feel right and went to the hospital. By 7:30 Thursday night she was in Respiratory and Cardiac arrest. They revived her but needed to operate they lost her a second time on the table and could not revive her.

A couple of weeks later the ICU surgeon called me and said she died of Septic shock caused by an strep infection surrounding her abdominal cavity.

That is the latest info I have as of May 18th still waiting on the ME to give me a "legal" cause of death.

I am posting this to make everyone aware of the insidious symptoms surrounding her death. She never thought is was more than a bug and before Thursday morning said she didn't think she needed to go to the hospital.

Please, Please if you have any of these symptoms GO TO THE HOSPITAL!! The symptoms were mild and yet less than 48 hrs after they appeared she was gone.:(

I will update as I find out more.

Again this thread is not to upset anyone but to make people aware that the most mild of symptoms can be huge after this surgery especially if they are related in any way to abdominal function. Also HER DEATH HAS NOT BEEN RELATED TO THE SURGERY AS OF YET.

With a heavy heart,

HER LOVING HUSBAND

Peter Hooper

Peter, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your wife Denyell and can't imagine what you must be going through right now.

How unselfish of you to take the time out during your grieving to warn others of the possible signs of danger when it comes to this procedure.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Nancy.

May God shower you and your family with His mercy, grace, and peace during this trying time and everafter.

I, too, must echo the sentiments of everyone else. Peter, I am so incredibly sorry for your devastating loss and can't imagine the pain your are enduring. To be so selfless and take the time to post your wife's story is truly amazing. You and your family will be in my prayers.

May God Bless You and Heal You,

-Amy

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. What an amazing person you must be to take the time to post this information during such a sad time. Thank you.

My heart is breaking for you and your family. With tears running down my face I pray for you and your family. Thank you for concern for all of us. God bless you.

I am so sorry to hear about your wife. I had the surgery on 1-14-08 and i've done really well so far. I did develope an infection about 3 weeks after the surgery, my Dr. kept brushing me off, finally I was in so much pain and fed up with being brushed aside, I went to my local ER and found out I had infection. My advice to anyone is if you have pain that continues to get worse or vomiting/flu like symptoms, go the hospital right away, don't put it off. It seems like the Dr's that do these surgeries just throw you do the dogs after it's all said and done. Again, i'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Peter. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very sad time.

Peter, I am holding you and your family in my prayers. May the God of Mercy shed His light on you and your loved ones during this difficult time. Words cannot express at this time the grief of losing her. Just know others are thinking of you and wishing you God's peace and strength.

Hang in there Peter. And thanks for letting the community and her acquaintences know, that was really thoughtful of you.