Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crime in TJ- Americans targeted?????

I am scheduled to be banded by Dr Ortiz on May 21st- after todays news (google- CNN TJ Kidnap) I am scared!!

Has anyone recently gone to TJ?

How far is the clinic from the border? How is security??

hi jo- you'll be fine. your safety is the doctor & his staff's #1 priority. they will make SURE you're safe at all times; and if you opted to stay at the hotel lucerna, its safe, i used to stay there. i travel into t.j., but i go into the not so touristy areas i.e. neighborhoods. stay out of these. this is where most of the crime is going on; they've even kidnapped locals that "looked" as if they have money. its not right.... i have friends out there, before i go next week, i need to call them to see if things have cooled off a bit, so i can stay with them, or if i should make reservations at lucerna. i can let you know whats going on out there when i find out.

also, since tourism has dropped about 90% businesses are hurting, so most places you go now have military guards. just remember to not wear anything flashy, and stay in tourist areas. don't walk around at night, alone or with anyone else. if you still have doubts, speak with dr.ortiz or his staff, and they will let you know the 411.

I had not heard about the travel alert... so thank you for keeping those of us who totally out of touch with society informed. :thumbup: I am in the process of selecting a surgeon and now WOW...:w00t: I dont know what to do... I thought I had a Dr selected now not so sure... So I too am very interested in hearing from those who have been to TJ recently...Thanks again for helping me make a completley informed decision.

I was in TJ march 25th for surgery, it was fine, I arrived the night before, had surgery on tuesday the 25th and returned to the US on the 27th, I did not bring my jewlery, just a bit of cash and 1 credit card, my mom traveled with me and she is a 105lb lady who stayed by herself the night I had surgery, not once did we feel scared although I will say that we did not go sightseeing, we went to the clinic, the hotel and she walked across the road to go to starbucks and that was it. I think if you use your head you'll be fine, just like traveling anywhere in the world.

The last two weeks has been a verrrry bad two weeks for TJ. The crime, street shootings, etc. Two weeks ago 14 people were shot and killed in TJ streets. A few days ago there was something on the news that said doctors are going on strike in TJ until the police do something about the crime, shooting sprees, drug lords, etc. They are willing to see ER cases only, otherwise they are going on strike in many areas of TJ.

There are two bariatric surgeons in TJ that have body guards. It's getting serious, they need to do something about this.

On the news it also said that three Mexican police officers from TJ are looking for asylum in the US due to their lives being threatened for trying to clean up the corruption and drug wars.

My doc used to practice in TJ a long time ago but he didn't feel it was safe for his family or his patients so he moved his practice. I'm starting to understand why.

I had a band placed in TJ and lost 180lbs in like 11months, I had no Idea how fast or slow the weight loss should go. I am hearing now that generaly it goes much slower and safer. I would through up 2-3 times a day and could not even pass pedialite towards the end. I have gained all of my wieght back since I had no choice but to have the band removed apx a year and a half ago. I was wondering if anybody out there could shed some light on what went wrong? It has been suggested that the band may have been the wrong size for me or that the band was too tight? Should I get a Lap band the inamed one because the one I had was not?

I had a band placed in TJ and lost 180lbs in like 11months, I had no Idea how fast or slow the weight loss should go. I am hearing now that generaly it goes much slower and safer. I would through up 2-3 times a day and could not even pass pedialite towards the end. I have gained all of my wieght back since I had no choice but to have the band removed apx a year and a half ago. I was wondering if anybody out there could shed some light on what went wrong? It has been suggested that the band may have been the wrong size for me or that the band was too tight? Should I get a Lap band the inamed one because the one I had was not?

Usually if a band doesn't work for you once it's not really a great idea to get another. If you slipped once your chances are higher for slipping again. If you eroded, your chances are very high for eroding again.

Have you considered a sleeve? That's what I would do if I had it all to do over again.

I went to TJ, had the surgery and am OK. My partner got around in taxis and went shopping for me at Calimax and shopping by herself on Revolution street.

We stayed at Lucerna- very nice and room service is very affordable. The rooms have coffee pots so I was able t o make my own broth.

Over all it was a good expirience.

Thanks jo75219 for sharing your experience... people seem to be reporting good experiences so far but with all the research we do for this process it would seems foolish to not research this concern too :D... So again thanks so much for your input!!! I makes this whole process of deciding much less nerve racking:smile2: Good luck on your new path!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

hi- sorry for the late reply; i got super busy last week making sure everything here at home was left in order, and i took care of a lot of personal things before i left...

i got back home from t.j. last night. my surgery was on 5/22, i stayed a couple of extra days in case of any complications. (i had none) i stayed with some friends. everything was quiet. was aware of my surroundings ALL THE TIME, nothing looked suspicious to me. i saw security every where i went. i went to the markets and did some light shopping, never once did i not feel safe.

i have appointment 5/27/08 for follow up my advise your doc should provide transportaion from border to hospital, and you will be fine i will drive tomarrow park at us side walk to mexico 15 min take cab to docs office and return same way and not carry any money but 100 dollars and my wife no purse dress normal and not flashy.

i was banded 3/15/08 to date i lost 90 lbs it kicked my but i stuck it out my family was dealing with my additude i sometimes could not get out of bed but after taking my Vitamins ,protiens, liquids daily i went back 6 weeks later and had band opened felt much better and still holding 90lbs lighter feel great.......no fills dont want them and dont need them

Thanks Wasa, I have also begun to look into that as well but haven't found much as far as failure rates etc. I liked the Band because it seemed to work so fast but of course that was not the way it was supposed to be. Anybody have experience with the sleeve?

Thanks Wasa, I have also begun to look into that as well but haven't found much as far as failure rates etc. I liked the Band because it seemed to work so fast but of course that was not the way it was supposed to be. Anybody have experience with the sleeve?

The sleeves works faster than the band. When you have a band you have to do the pre op diet and then wait for good restriction. The fills can take months before weight loss really kicks in. With a sleeve you are at the right restriction coming out of surgery.

With a band you average 1-2 pounds per week, with a sleeve it is 2-3# per week. I don't know, I think it's just easier all the way around and fewer complications than with a band or bypass.