Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TLBC Clinic- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Gosh, I don't read this thread for a couple of days.... and WHAM.... Crappola!

WOuld everyone pleae get over themselves and let this be a great place to give/get support..????

It's time to move along:crying:

Candice

sorry you feel this way. But I thought that is what what we are doing. The compliments given to me I find very supportive and the other posts were call for support. Again, I guess it is just perception.:laugh:

Gosh, I don't read this thread for a couple of days.... and WHAM.... Crappola!

WOuld everyone pleae get over themselves and let this be a great place to give/get support..????

It's time to move along:crying:

Candice

Congratulations to those on these last threads that have made the decision to go forward with the lapband. I was banded a year ago Dec and I have lost as of this morning.....196 pounds!!! I couldnt have done it without the band! I was banded at TLBC and paid $16,000, and as you have seen in my past posts I have attributed a lot of my success to Jill with her help at TLBC while she was employeed there. Nancy is another great help! I would suggest to find a personal trainer to help you also. The lapband is a great tool but you still have to do the work. Its not magic.....and its not always fun! But it works!! I would also research a bit too....I spoke to a lady at my gym who had a Dr. in Mexico do her lapband this past Sept and she has lost 60 some pounds and she paid $7200. She said the clinic was unbelievable! Very clean, staff was wonderful! Thats a big difference in price even adding in a flight there. TLBC has worked for me but just check it out and if you can get it for half the price???? Let me know if you want me to get the clinics info for you, I will see her tomorrow morning at the gym.

Canadiangirl I totally agree with you.....we need a Dear Doddie! lol! And I had that same thing where Nancy did a defill of half a cc and I hit my "sweet spot" where I found I had just the right amount of restriction.

And I think everyone that is on this site is a winner because you have made a decision to do something for yourself! For those who are struggling just keep at it and it will come! And use the site to help you through! We are in this together! Have a great day everyone!!

Well said Hanbe: Just to reinforce the need for support whether it be the good, the bad, or the ugly I just got back from my doctor and he said that in his experience, he has rarely witnessed the reversal of diabetes and complimented me on getting the band. Although I still have diabetes 2, the readings are that of someone without. This is the same doctor that was not a believer in the band. The medication for diabetes has been discontinued, blood pressure pills halved.

As I said above, when I read about other bandsters successes or plight and the rough journey they are having, it gives me a sense of one. I am having a hard time with my failure to chew properly and to consistantly exercise but by helping people as best I can, I am encouraged by them to keep trying myself.

The band is in my mind a lifesaver but a tough taskmaster if the rules are not followed. The experience is also a journey into the unnknown and it is great to read about the experiences other that have gone before us.

Keep posting everyone, we need each other.

Thankyou all for your support and kindness.

Well said Hanbe: Just to reinforce the need for support whether it be the good, the bad, or the ugly I just got back from my doctor and he said that in his experience, he has rarely witnessed the reversal of diabetes and complimented me on getting the band. Although I still have diabetes 2, the readings are that of someone without. This is the same doctor that was not a believer in the band. The medication for diabetes has been discontinued, blood pressure pills halved.

As I said above, when I read about other bandsters successes or plight and the rough journey they are having, it gives me a sense of one. I am having a hard time with my failure to chew properly and to consistantly exercise but by helping people as best I can, I am encouraged by them to keep trying myself.

The band is in my mind a lifesaver but a tough taskmaster if the rules are not followed. The experience is also a journey into the unnknown and it is great to read about the experiences other that have gone before us.

Keep posting everyone, we need each other.

Thankyou all for your support and kindness.

Doddie a diabetes reversal is amazing and exciting.... failure to chew I know sometimes I fall into old habits and don't chew enough sometimes it helps me to mix up textures of food in one bite. So I will have Protein, veges all in one bite and it helps me subscribe to chewing well... I find if I just have a bite of steak and only steak or protein or just veges I have a harder time remembering to chew... There is something about mixing the food textures that makes me chew more not sure what it could be my imagination but it works for me....as you can tell I don't subscribe to the pea sized bite theory... I find the smaller the bite the less likely you are to chew a lot.

Good luck

Heather

Hello, What is the difference between the 'slimband' and the 'lapband'? I am scheduled to have the 'lapband' done at the Maples Centre in Wpg. in Feb. Just curious if there was any real difference other than brand. Thanks.

Different clinics use different bands, SWLC uses only the lapband system done by innamed last time I heard. Slimband uses all sorts of bands the realize, J&J/ swedish band, the Innamed system and so on. One of the nice things about Dr Yau is he looks at your body type and shape and then based on his experience choose the right type of band from his arsenal that he thinks will suit you. I had won a free Innamed band at the first bash and Dr Yau knew that and decided when my Innamed original band had slipped so many times it wasn't good with my body and he wanted to use a J&J Swedish band since based on how I had lost weight and where I had lost etc he felt it would be better with my body and knock on wood other than my port having to be moved I have not had a complication since....

That said almost all the bands work the same way with differences in how they are constructed being minimal some of the tubing and band portion around the stomach is more or less flexible.

Heather

what a wonderful exciting new idea. I will try that tonight. You make excellent sense thanks ever so much

Doddie a diabetes reversal is amazing and exciting.... failure to chew I know sometimes I fall into old habits and don't chew enough sometimes it helps me to mix up textures of food in one bite. So I will have Protein, veges all in one bite and it helps me subscribe to chewing well... I find if I just have a bite of steak and only steak or protein or just veges I have a harder time remembering to chew... There is something about mixing the food textures that makes me chew more not sure what it could be my imagination but it works for me....as you can tell I don't subscribe to the pea sized bite theory... I find the smaller the bite the less likely you are to chew a lot.

Good luck

Heather

Hope everyone is keeping warm today!! I wanted to mention something, I was at the TLBC getting a fill this week and a lady in the waiting room had recently been banded and she was really concerned that she would not longer be able to drink diet coke. I know others have said they have a hard time getting diet coke down but I have not and I'm so glad because its like a real treat for me! If you are exeperiencing difficulty getting diet coke down try putting it in a glass with some ice and let it sit for 10 mins or so and I have found that I can drink my pop!

I think simple pleasures are what get us through and this is a simple pleasure for me so hopefully for those that enjoy the diet coke maybe this will help!!!

How things change. Dr. Yau's instructions were no diet pop or fizzies at any time. When I whined I loved the stuff, he suggested I go 3 weeks without then try a small sip. He said I would be surprised that I no longer liked the stuff. He was right. Also, Donna suggested I try nestea as a substitute and she was right.

I don't know why diet pop is the forbidden fruit, but I have enough issues without challenging what I have been told is a no no.

Anyone else, has things changed?????:rolleyes:

Hope everyone is keeping warm today!! I wanted to mention something, I was at the TLBC getting a fill this week and a lady in the waiting room had recently been banded and she was really concerned that she would not longer be able to drink diet coke. I know others have said they have a hard time getting diet coke down but I have not and I'm so glad because its like a real treat for me! If you are exeperiencing difficulty getting diet coke down try putting it in a glass with some ice and let it sit for 10 mins or so and I have found that I can drink my pop!

I think simple pleasures are what get us through and this is a simple pleasure for me so hopefully for those that enjoy the diet coke maybe this will help!!!

I was told that drinking anything was a no-no as well. I also read a post somewhere that had a youtube link which showed a video of a woman getting her fill and telling the Dr. that she had a carbonated drink, the Dr. advised her not to and said that it would stretch her pouch.

I loved diet drinks, since my surgery I haven't had one, but i'm sure when summer comes along and someone offers me a glass of ice-cold diet coke when its +30 out, my willpower will be tested. (that goes for a beer as well)....I just made myself really thirsty!! :rolleyes:

When I was in my bootcamp I had been told by several different bandsters that they would have a diet soda. Now I do drink caffiene free and again I think one of the things is that I put it in a glass with ice and let the fiz die down. And I don't have more then one in a day.

Sorry hope I haven't created a misconception!

Hey Hanbe,

I wanted to say congrats on your weightloss! What a huge accomplishment. It looks like you didn't cheat at all, maybe theres something to your Diet Coke with ice recipe.:thumbup: I hope that my success will be as great as yours. :sneaky:

Thanks so much Canadiangirl! I wish you all the best in your journey too!! Keep up the great work! I'm hoping to have my last 40 pounds off by April and will be able to share with everyone that I have hit my goal! Finally after so many years of trying.

Talk soon!!

Hanbe, best wishes on reaching your April goal. I too love carbonated drinks but do not drink them except for maybe one every several months as my band manufacturer Allergan does not recommend them.

I first had wls back in /87 when I had VBG and while we were not told to avoid carbonated drinks I'm sure it added to my staples disrupting. Now I don't want to risk anything with my band but I guess it's up to us as an individual what we do.

Hanbe and Donna,

You both seem to be having great successes!!

I was just banded on the 20th of Nov. and I just wanted to know what your restriction is like. I have a total of 5.5 cc's in my band. I had a defill yesterday of .5 cc's and now I can finaly drink again. I just wanted to know the amount of food that you can eat comfortably, and drink as well. I would like to know how to get to this "sweet spot" that everyone talks about.