Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Martial Artist or MMA guys

I am two weeks post surgery and went to my first training yesterday, am I pushing it? I was careful that everyone knew to be sure to pull there punches to my midsection. I also did a couple falls but that did tended to be a little painful so stopped doing falls after that. Thoughts, should I wait a bit longer?

Not a MMA or fighter, but doc told me no weights or core training for 6 weeks following surgery to let the port heal. Probably a good idea for you too, you don't want to risk a revision

I'd hold off if I were you. My doc didn't clear any hardcore workouts until around 6 weeks out. You don't want to do anything that might compromise the band. You speak of falls....what MA do you study? Aikido, jujutsu, what?

I don't know much about kenpo. Wasn't Jeff Speakman supposed to be the "poster boy"? Or did he sully the name as much as Steven Segal did for aikido?

Speakman does teach American Kenpo which he has customized to be more his own style. Ed Parker though was the big American Kenpo professor, bringing the art to America from Hawaii in th 50's his biggest profile student was Elvis. The style I take is more the Traditional Hawaiin style , but with alot of Roots in Kajukenbo(KA-karate JU-judo KEN-kenpo BO-boxing). My Shihan is Dr. Nick Chamberlain from Chamberlain Studios of Self-Defense - Dallas Karate - Karate Dallas - Dallas Martial Arts - Martial Arts Dallas

training should be fine, just don't push it. as far as rolling on the mats (jits), i say hold off for a few more weeks. you use a lot of abs down there. i'd say 'training' is ok for now, but no sparing. give that a few more weeks.

i plan to get back to some jits and stand up in a few weeks myself.

love that siht.

Speakman does teach American Kenpo which he has customized to be more his own style. Ed Parker though was the big American Kenpo professor, bringing the art to America from Hawaii in th 50's his biggest profile student was Elvis. The style I take is more the Traditional Hawaiin style , but with alot of Roots in Kajukenbo(KA-karate JU-judo KEN-kenpo BO-boxing). My Shihan is Dr. Nick Chamberlain from Chamberlain Studios of Self-Defense - Dallas Karate - Karate Dallas - Dallas Martial Arts - Martial Arts Dallas

I took a semester of Kajukenbo in college, it was pretty cool. I didn't know you were in Dallas. I've been dying to take Krav Maga, but nobody in a 50 mile radius of here teaches Krav

training should be fine, just don't push it. as far as rolling on the mats (jits), i say hold off for a few more weeks. you use a lot of abs down there. i'd say 'training' is ok for now, but no sparing. give that a few more weeks.

i plan to get back to some jits and stand up in a few weeks myself.

love that siht.

I have been holding off on the sparring and the ground and pound stuff. I have mostly been working on Kata and self defense.

I took a semester of Kajukenbo in college, it was pretty cool. I didn't know you were in Dallas. I've been dying to take Krav Maga, but nobody in a 50 mile radius of here teaches Krav

Krav looks pretty cool, an even more in your face style than the Kenpo. There area few schools in the metroplex area for it, but not quite ready yet for cross training in another art yet afraid it would confuse my my poor simple mind. :rolleyes2: Once I get into the upper brown areas I am going to start into cross training most likely in Jit as the ground work is pretty sweet.

I actually live in Arlington but the Dojo is in Dallas close to where I work.

I've heard that even a few months after surgery, that port site can still hurt if you get hit hard there. Has anyone been hit pretty hard there well after surgery? If so, did it hurt more than usual? I've always been big so training for MMA has never happened for me. Now that I'm losing some weight I do want to get into it. I have friends who do it a lot and have done it for a long time. But I've heard people say their port site hurts pretty bad if you get hit hard there even well after surgery. I'm curious to see if this is true.

I've heard that even a few months after surgery, that port site can still hurt if you get hit hard there. Has anyone been hit pretty hard there well after surgery? If so, did it hurt more than usual? I've always been big so training for MMA has never happened for me. Now that I'm losing some weight I do want to get into it. I have friends who do it a lot and have done it for a long time. But I've heard people say their port site hurts pretty bad if you get hit hard there even well after surgery. I'm curious to see if this is true.

I have taken a few shots to the stomach and have had no issues yet. But havent had a direct shot to my port so cant really say what that feels like. If you decide to take it up you can wear a chest protector while sparring or practicing self defense techniques that have body shots.

I was looking for a thread talking about martial arts...

I'm still in the beginning stages of finding out about the Lapband, but I wanted to hear from some martial artists who have been banded already.

I'm about to start up in Aikido - 2x per week. From the 2 classes I've had so far, the falling isn't particularly difficult, but I *do* know how to take ukemi - I was in traditional JuJitsu (not BJJ) for close to 4 years back around 2000 or so.

Is that kind of rolling around and falling going to be bad for someone who's been banded? Can it jar the system loose somehow?

If anyone is doing Aikido/Japanese JuJitsu/Judo post-op, please let me know :wub:

Thanks!

-Bryan

I was looking for a thread talking about martial arts...

I'm still in the beginning stages of finding out about the Lapband, but I wanted to hear from some martial artists who have been banded already.

I'm about to start up in Aikido - 2x per week. From the 2 classes I've had so far, the falling isn't particularly difficult, but I *do* know how to take ukemi - I was in traditional JuJitsu (not BJJ) for close to 4 years back around 2000 or so.

Is that kind of rolling around and falling going to be bad for someone who's been banded? Can it jar the system loose somehow?

If anyone is doing Aikido/Japanese JuJitsu/Judo post-op, please let me know :crying:

Thanks!

-Bryan

We do MMA style in our Kenpo Class with a lot of Judo /Jit throws,falls and grappling. I have not had any issues with that and I am 5 months post op.

The falls were a bit tender at first and I wouldnt do any of that until cleeared by your Doctor. But I was training mostly cardio at first within 4 weeks post surgery and doing falls and throws in about 8 weeks. But I tend to get a little over aggressive on my training and hate not being able to do what the rest of the class is doing. Just consult you Doctor and see what he thinks. You are always free to email me or pm if you have more questions, Sorry for taking so long responding .

Greetings gentelman:

I have been involved in Krav Maga during my time in the service and civilian life. I got banded 3 months ago and I was advised not to be involved in Krav Maga for 6 months. I also injured / had surgery on my knee last year so I fear that I will be out for > 1 year. I advised my band doc. that Krav Maga involves large amounts of grappeling, throws and sparring. I am afraid to jam by port site so I don't know if I will go back. What do you guys think.:

Layne.