Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Overeaters Anonymous Open to Surgery?

Hi, I am considering joining Overeaters Anonymous to deal with my food addiction. I am getting banded this Friday, May 16; however, I have an emotional eating problem and would like to join a group that deals with how to overcome the emotional side of eating. I am afraid though that OA will judge me for getting the surgery. Does anyone know what OA's stance is on lap-band surgery?

I am not 100% sure on this, but it seems like I have seen other members post that they attend OA. I am bumping this so hopefully others will see your post and may be better able than I to answer your question.

Thank you Susan!

Devotion....who's doing your surgery? I'm in your area and have been speaking with Southwest Bariatrics....

Hey there - my insurance sucks so I'm going to Mexico - self-pay to one of the top doctors in Mexcio - Dr. Miguel Zapata, after much, much research. But before I learned my insurance company was going to screw me over (I'm not bitter) I was talking extensively with Southwest Bariatrics and was going to use a doctor whose first name was Bridget. There was another doctor there I wanted to use but he was way booked up. Bridget seemed really personable and nice and she has good training. I hope you like who you are talking to. And Gayle, the patient advocate, is awesome!

I am thrilled that I am going to Mexico though - my cost is $7K as opposed to Southwest Bariatric's "cash" price of $15,000. After researching the great care I would be getting and talking with many patients, I am happy with my decision.

Good luck to you! I think SW Bariatrics is the best place to go in Austin. That's my personal opinion.

Hmmmmmm .. not SO pleased! I don't speak to them much. I saw Dr. Fass once and then it was approved. I don't know though, the receptionist, is rude.:) Gayle is ok though she is much better to speak with. I have another appointment Thursday, and if I don't feel very comfortable I am going to switch doctors.

Seeems like most people enjoy their experience in MX.... who will do your fills when you return? Are you going alone?

That's a good question. I mean, this takes a TON of will power, and you have surgery on your stomach, not your brain. I have also heard other people here say they attend OA, so it is definitely something to check into. I had thought about finding meetings near me, too, because as I said, this surgery is a tool, not a quick fix. If you find out anything let us know!

I wish I could help you with the OA question, unfortunately in shreveport I can't even find a OA meeting here. And the south has a large large problem with Overreating. (MPO)

i attend oa meetings and find them very helpful.....you will see over time that you can cheat the band really easily and self sabotage sometimes happens when you hit low points....having an arsenal of solutions are keys to your remaining successful long term. you dont have to tell your oa group that you were banded......but you can openly discuss your problems and have people with similar problems listen and give you support.......being severly obese for me is mostly a mental issue...and i am still struggling with that....i think every single oa group is different and i happened to get lucky and found a small group of very nice people that i trusted to tell i was banded and no one judged me. i hope this helps.

I have found OA to be very helpful too. My OA friends have been very supportive during my surgery and recovery and I intend to continue going to meetings and using OA for support. If anyone is judgemental about the surgery at my meetings, they've kept it to themselves.

Here's list of OA meetings in Shreveport from the OA website www.oa.org

CityStateCountryDayTimeMeeting Place

SHREVEPORTLAUSAFriday1:30PM  BROADMOOR LIBRARY

SHREVEPORTLAUSAFriday6:30PM  ST MARY OF THE PINES CATHOLIC CHURCH

SHREVEPORTLAUSAMonday5:30PM  HAMILTON/S CADDO BRANCH LIBRARY

SHREVEPORTLAUSASaturday11:00AM  THE PROMISE HOSPITAL

SHREVEPORTLAUSASunday1:30PM  SUMMER GROVE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

SHREVEPORTLAUSAThursday12:00PM  OAKWOOD HOME FOR WOMEN

SHREVEPORTLAUSAWednesday5:30PM  BROADMOOR BAPTIST CHURCH

Devotion,

I also went to a few classes and they were wonderful. I am not religuous person, so I had some issues, but overall I think the groups are great and may look into it again. I have just been too busy with my work schedule.

Devotion, also have you thought about seeking therapy at the clinic? I am having an phych. evaluation In July to go over some issues I have been having lately with food.