Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baby-wearing after banding?

OK...so this may be a strange question...but I didn't know where else to post.

I'm a baby-wearer. I wear my 2yo in a mei-tai on my back. I'm afraid the tie straps will be passing right over my port site, which I'm wondering if down the road will be as sensitive as it is now. Right now, if I bend funny I get an icky-pressure sensation, and the tiniest bit of tenderness.

Does that go away eventually? I'd really like to start wearing him again and go for long walks as beginning excercise.

Any experience out there with baby-wearing after the lapband?

I don't think you'll have any issues at all. I do rennaissance festivals and wear heavily steel boned corsets with over 30 stays each in it so tight that I get bruises on my back and I've never had any issues with my port site. I have even asked my doctor about pressure on the port site and he said that shouldn't be a problem. I think a lot of it has to do with how big you are too. Some ports are deeper than others.. My stomach isn't as big as my butt is, so my port is somewhat shallow. Also, apparently the actual port is 1-2 inches from the actual incision line. Oddly, I thought that lumpy thing below the cut was the port, but it was the stitches that hadn't desolved yet and were tender, so perhaps that's what you are feeling.

My port sight was very sore for a month and the pain gradually lessened with each passing week after that, but it hurt to have anything touch it and it was hard wearing jeans or anything at all constricting. Also, a two year old weighs quite a bit, and I was told not to lift anything over 10 pounds for two months, so I'd be careful. Ask your doctor and do what he/she says. Everyone is different so it is always wisest to do what the doctor says.

Down the road you shouldnt ahve any issues, but take it easy now. I always found after any abdominal trauma (natural childbirth and caesars included) my core muscles take a beating and I find myself very weak in the back for a while. I personally couldnt wear my babies for a good few months after birth for example, and I'm big and strong at 5ft 10.

I'm 6 months out and can't even wear a floatation belt in my deep Water aerobics class. the pressure from the belt just kills my port. It's fairly close to the surface. The belt is foam and is virtually weightless, but the pressure on my port is just not something I can take so I do the class without it...which makes for a very good workout!!!! I'd wait about 6 weeks to 2 months then try it for small amounts of time until you know how it feels.

I am an avid baby wearer too. I had no problems even right after my surgery, but I wore my DD in a wrap though which is wider than a mei tie. I have made a mei tie and now where my 17month old (22lb) DD in it and I had my surgery 9months ago and it doesn't bother my port site at all. The straps that go around my waist are 1inch webbing and I tie it very tight and it still doesn't bother it. I do the ring sling too and it doesn't bother it either. DD's bottom could be right on it and it doesn't hurt.

If you are still tender now try a wrap instead of the mei tie. A wrap can even distribute the weight better and is way more comfortable in my opinion. 3 months out of my surgery I was walking in the park with DD but I carried her infront since I am not so good at getting her on my back. With wraps you can still do back carries. It is easy to make one, just go to your local discount fabric store or Walmart. I go to walmart and get the fabric that is on sale for $1 a yard. You need 5 yards and it should be cotton material. Anything will work as long as it doesn't stretch too much but cotton gauze works best and is more breathable than other materials. You don't even have to sew anything just cut in half length wise and your done. There is a great site that can show you how to wear it at TheBabyWearer.com

Thanks everyone. I haven't exactly been following the "10lb lifting" rule because not only do I have three children, I have a husband currently overseas.

I don't care for wraps, they are too hot and constrictive for me. I liked my Ellaroo (and other wraps I've made) when he was much smaller and could snuggle in a front or back carry...but now he and I both just prefer the meitai.

ETA: I've been babywearing and sewing my own wraps, slings, and meitai's for the last 2 years. I'm familiar with all the types out there, just concerned about the pressure they put on the port site!

Edited by mommakatx2

I'm a SAHM to a 4-year-old and a 10-month-old, so following any sort of post-op lifting restriction definitely wasn't easy, but I did my best for awhile. I do wear my 10-month-old (who weighs around 18lbs) in a carrier, but it's mostly a back carrier and the straps/waist belt haven't bothered my port site, thankfully. If I weren't able to wear him, I'd never get anything done around the house! I've noticed that it's actually easier to carry him now that I've lost more than he weighs. Kinda puts things into perspective.

Thanks everyone. I haven't exactly been following the "10lb lifting" rule because not only do I have three children, I have a husband currently overseas.

I don't care for wraps, they are too hot and constrictive for me. I liked my Ellaroo (and other wraps I've made) when he was much smaller and could snuggle in a front or back carry...but now he and I both just prefer the meitai.

ETA: I've been babywearing and sewing my own wraps, slings, and meitai's for the last 2 years. I'm familiar with all the types out there, just concerned about the pressure they put on the port site!

I hope you didn't think I was insulting your intelligence or experience in babywearing, I was just trying give you the insite you asked for from my perspective. Sorry if you got offended by me posting instructions and a website to show you how to make the wrap. Everyone is different, I was personally more comfortable wearing DD in a wrap right after surgery. If a wrap is not for you ok. (Maybe I am just misunderstanding your tone in your post.) I was just trying to help by giving you my perspective on the different types of carriers and what was most comfortable for me in the beginning and now.