Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pretty Darned Tight, Too Tight?

Hi! I got my second fill 4 days ago and can only eat some mushey type foods. Applesauce and soft fish hurts, but oatmeal, mashed potatoes, and pudding are fine. I thought if I stick with these foods (beefed up with Protein powder) and loose some weight, the band will loosen. Does this make sense or should I go in for a small unfill. I have not PB'd but I'm sure I would if I try a normal diet. Any suggestions? SS

i have a 9 cc band and Ive had 2 fills....Im at 6ccs now....my question is, i can eat mushies but they hurt when they go down. Fish, tuna, berries are okay. SHould I be able to feel this pass through? I thought it was suppose to stay in the pouch and make me feel full, which I dont. I had my last fill the first week of April. I havent lost any weight since I had the surgery in Feb....Any suggestions?

You'll have to watch it. It's never a good idea to keep a fill too tight for too long. People will actually find they don't lose as well eating only soft foods. See if your band loosens in a few days. If it doesn't, you should consider getting a tiny amount out. It may loosen up on it's own in a few days though.

Hey Daisy! Good advice and you look great by the way! I had fun on Sat meeting you and shopping too! Shelley

Edited by Oregondaisy

Get an unfill if you can't eat solid food. You can always get another fill once you lose more weight. Staying too tight leads to problems.

my question is, i can eat mushies but they hurt when they go down. Fish, tuna, berries are okay. SHould I be able to feel this pass through? I thought it was suppose to stay in the pouch and make me feel full, which I dont. I had my last fill the first week of April. I havent lost any weight since I had the surgery in Feb....Any suggestions?

It sounds like you are also too tight or else need more practice chewing food til it's completely gone - something that might take time to master. Mushies do slide right through the band. It's solids that will stay in your pouch and help you stay full. Maybe try dropping 1cc or 1/2 cc and see if it helps?

Another suggestion is to call your surgeon's office & let them know that even mushies hurt, what do they suggest.

I have to agree with Denise and Molly. It's one thing to have good restriction after a fill but it's another to not be able to eat solids. I posted a similar thread in reference to a tight fill and the people basically advised me to see if it gets better in a couple of days and one bandster said that she kept hers so tight where she couldn't even keep down mushies that she was hospitalized for dehydration among other things so be very careful. If you can't even eat mushies then you should go and see your Doctor for an unfilll. Best of Luck to you both. Keep us posted.

If you can't eat solids, that's a problem. The band isn't supposed to restrict you from eating solids - just supposed to limit the amount you eat. i would definitely get an unfill.

i just got my 3rd fill, have a total of 5cc's... some foods are ok, others are a nightmare! And i USED to have PB's, on occasion, but i dont have those any more. NOW i totally vomit - from the stomach. I was ok with this, until last week I started wretching many times, causing an excrutiating pain in my arms, neck, and chest. I've never experienced this before. Now i'm freaked out, and am afraid to eat. of course, it s the weekend and i cant get ahold of anyone until Monday. Anyone else going thru this ??

i just got my 3rd fill, have a total of 5cc's... some foods are ok, others are a nightmare! And i USED to have PB's, on occasion, but i dont have those any more. NOW i totally vomit - from the stomach. I was ok with this, until last week I started wretching many times, causing an excrutiating pain in my arms, neck, and chest. I've never experienced this before. Now i'm freaked out, and am afraid to eat. of course, it s the weekend and i cant get ahold of anyone until Monday. Anyone else going thru this ??

Hi Bobbi,

If you call your doc's office number you should get an answering service who can page the doc if necessary.

I was too tight for a couple of weeks, it is very miserable. I got to where eating yogurt hurt and I got stuck on mashed potatoes. When I hit the wall and couldn't stand it, I'd have called the office and asked to speak to my doc if it had been the weekend. For me it happened on Thursday and they got me right in. Don't fool around with it, vomitting can cause band slippage, and it's best to avoid that!

Best wishes,

Denise

I had a similar thing, not quite so tight as you describe but I was pretty much at maintenance anyway and I thought I'd just get a tad more and try to take off an extra 10lb. Well, in reality, I just ended up eating tons of crappy slider foods instead of anything decent and its taken me a LOT of hard work to get back onto a good diet, as bad habits crept in again.

It just never works the way you think it will, if you cant eat solids, you really are quite likely NOT to lose weight.

If you find you're losing then I dont think its that unsafe to let it loosen on your own, as long as you're not having reflux and night coughing and tons of pbing. But dont be surprised if you dont lose well.

It's a very fine line between being too tight and being just right. If you can't eat solid Protein, it's best to have some taken out. It's so difficult to get it just right. It seems sometimes that we can eat anything we want, and as much of it as we want, then get a fill, and can't eat anything. There is a place in between though, but sometimes it takes a fill and an unfill and another fill to get there though.

You don't have to have a large unfill, small unfills of .25 or even .10 cc's can have an impact. With that being said, I always give myself 1 full week to adjust to a fill as long as I can eat and get in plenty of liquids.

The whole point of the band is to be able to eat solid foods and have them drift slowly through your pouch. That is why they say to eat Proteins first. Banding isn't intended to make you restricted to eating mushies that pass uncomfortably. When you stay too tight, you miss the biggest benefits of being banded.

I couldn't agree more. So many people think being too tight is the way to lose weight and it's not!